• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Group discussion (Lothian City, Lothian Country Bus and East Coast Buses)

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
According to lvf.io 591 has been on service 31 today.
There’s been a few issues with some of the LVF feeds. It should be fixed over the next wee while. As @Bus9120UK says it’s actually 1110.

There’s a more substantial issue with 1012/1013 that I’m trying to sort with the guys at LVF but it’s such a long history file that it’s proving difficult to correct it all, it may be easier to just leave it.

A few updates were done over the last week - mostly ECB related things like 591-594 having moved and B9TL’s having been renumbered.

They’re also aware of the expected renumbering of parts of the ECB fleet and will renumber them in due course when they return to service renumbered and not prior.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lothian_Bus

It's 1110 tracking as 591. According to the same site, it was on the 113 at the same time, which is correct.

There’s been a few issues with some of the LVF feeds. It should be fixed over the next wee while. As @Bus9120UK says it’s actually 1110.

There’s a more substantial issue with 1012/1013 that I’m trying to sort with the guys at LVF but it’s such a long history file that it’s proving difficult to correct it all, it may be easier to just leave it.

A few updates were done over the last week - mostly ECB related things like 591-594 having moved and B9TL’s having been renumbered.

They’re also aware of the expected renumbering of parts of the ECB fleet and will renumber them in due course when they return to service renumbered and not prior.
Thank you both.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
Just been made aware (from a fairly reliable source) that 905-906 are likely to be sold as well on top of 841-850. Had considered if this is where 926-927 may end up? Time will tell in the coming months as to whether this actually is true. Couldn’t really see any other obvious replacement but could easily be something else.

stevenedin

Established Member
It would be nice if they kept either 926 as a heritage vehicle once it it withdrawn. It only feels like yesterday I saw this bus brand new on its way to Longstone depot near Gorgie in 2009.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
It would be nice if they kept either 926 as a heritage vehicle once it it withdrawn. It only feels like yesterday I saw this bus brand new on its way to Longstone depot near Gorgie in 2009.
I cant see anything going into preservation by Lothian themselves for years to come. Your only hope is a private buyer who is A) not likely to preserve a 12 year old vehicle especially when B) it will cost upwards of £15k at least to buy alone. The cost of then running, painting, storing, maintenance just really isnt viable. Why 926 too? It could well be one of the most unreliable buses in the fleet, it could be one of the worst underneath needing new parts? The only hope for you that it gets preserved would be through someone buying it from a company in 4/5 years time when its value is probably a few grand at most where its easier to pay for but even then its a bigger task as its older. I dont think you quite know how hard vehicle preservation actually is….

stevenedin

Established Member
I wasn’t saying it wasn’t hard, just that it would be nice for one that has still not been altered (roller blinds removed etc) to be preserved, and I just used 926 as an example. Potentially if it was done now it could be 341-350 as they still have or had roller blinds but I understand what you are saying about cost and it not being cost effective.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
I cant see anything going into preservation by Lothian themselves for years to come. Your only hope is a private buyer who is A) not likely to preserve a 12 year old vehicle especially when B) it will cost upwards of £15k at least to buy alone. The cost of then running, painting, storing, maintenance just really isnt viable. Why 926 too? It could well be one of the most unreliable buses in the fleet, it could be one of the worst underneath needing new parts? The only hope for you that it gets preserved would be through someone buying it from a company in 4/5 years time when its value is probably a few grand at most where its easier to pay for but even then its a bigger task as its older. I dont think you quite know how hard vehicle preservation actually is….
I’ve had my eyes on a few things for a while but as with anything in preservation you really need to wait until it’s at the end of its service life and has just scrap value to an operator. Finding the right bus at the right time is often the challenging part. It’s usually more work but that’s part of the hobby.

For the enthusiast the cheapest newest thing they’ll be able to get hold of is probably a Dart at this stage but in general 25 years old usually starts to open up good opportunities - if the bus in question even makes it that far. Newer buses are far less likely to.

And similar to what you’re saying COVID has meant sadly that the money just isn’t there for companies to keep hold of stuff.

I would like to see a trident and B7TL preserved one day, as I believe these vehicles show a big part of the city’s transition if that makes sense.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
I’ve had my eyes on a few things for a while but as with anything in preservation you really need to wait until it’s at the end of its service life and has just scrap value to an operator. Finding the right bus at the right time is often the challenging part. It’s usually more work but that’s part of the hobby.

For the enthusiast the cheapest newest thing they’ll be able to get hold of is probably a Dart at this stage but in general 25 years old usually starts to open up good opportunities - if the bus in question even makes it that far. Newer buses are far less likely to.

And similar to what you’re saying COVID has meant sadly that the money just isn’t there for companies to keep hold of stuff.

I would like to see a trident and B7TL preserved one day, as I believe these vehicles show a big part of the city’s transition if that makes sense.

I'd say probably a Trident would be quite easy to get - plenty knocking about with decent operators that are probably coming to the end of their useful life. Nottingham have a few I think, along with B7RLEs that replaced Lothian SPDs?. I've always wanted to preserve a vehicle, but I wouldn't want to do it alone.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
I'd say probably a Trident would be quite easy to get - plenty knocking about with decent operators that are probably coming to the end of their useful life. Nottingham have a few I think, along with B7RLEs that replaced Lothian SPDs?. I've always wanted to preserve a vehicle, but I wouldn't want to do it alone.
Quite a few of the early ones are a lot cheaper now. We were looking through eBay and found W551RSG last week and it sold within 3 hours, and must have been £3500 at most. We did decide on a particular vehicle but over time we’ve decided to wait and see what happens.

I agree for myself I wouldn’t preserve alone either, but similarly I think 4 or 5 voices would be too many. 2 or 3 (with ideally 1 experienced head) are your perfect numbers if you’re new to it and if you’re going to get something make sure you have your name on a list and somewhere good to store it. Whenever I do purchase a vehicle with my mate we’re in agreement on what we’ll do going forward across the board.

cnjb8

Established Member
The only ex-Lothian Tridents around Nottingham are owned by Skills Coaches. They don’t have any plans to withdraw them unfortunately.

Bus 927 was having struggles with its destination screens tonight. It scrolled passed the correct destination and eventually settled for Craigleith, Then mid route it set to blank and continued as such

Here is some screenshots of the video I intended to post but was to large

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-01-24-17-10-33-178.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-01-24-17-10-33-178.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 75
  • Screenshot_2022-01-24-17-11-04-963.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-01-24-17-11-04-963.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 73
  • Screenshot_2022-01-24-17-14-33-940.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-01-24-17-14-33-940.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 71
  • Screenshot_2022-01-24-17-15-56-640.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-01-24-17-15-56-640.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_20220124_175353.jpg
    IMG_20220124_175353.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 60
Last edited:

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Bus 927 was having struggles with its destination screens tonight. It scrolled passed the correct destination and eventually settled for Craigleith, Then mid route it set to blank and continued as such.

That usually happens when (one of, as the number, intermediate and main are selected separately) the destination selected is electronically programmed into the selector but not actually on the blinds themselves.

It happened to me a couple of times with bus 137 that didn't have 63 on the blind along with buses missing Hermiston Gait. Although programmed, they weren't actually there so it would just roll from one end to the other or just go to blank.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
Bus 927 was having struggles with its destination screens tonight. It scrolled passed the correct destination and eventually settled for Craigleith, Then mid route it set to blank and continued as such

Here is some screenshots of the video I intended to post but was to large
Yea it’s probably a case of trying to find Queen Margaret University, and it’s not there. It was a common problem on the earlier Eclipses before the 7900’s came along. Stoneybank is usually the next best alternative.

That usually happens when (one of, as the number, intermediate and main are selected separately) the destination selected is electronically programmed into the selector but not actually on the blinds themselves.

It happened to me a couple of times with bus 137 that didn't have 63 on the blind along with buses missing Hermiston Gait. Although programmed, they weren't actually there so it would just roll from one end to the other or just go to blank.
I remember the earlier eclipses doing this all the time, or jamming. I miss the kind of fun you could have with the rollers.

Last edited:

CN04NRJ

Established Member
I remember the earlier eclipses doing this all the time, or jamming. I miss the kind of fun you could have with the rollers.

Only experienced 121/132/4/5 with the old BrightTech rollers and they were quite frustrating to use - mind of their own especially with the separate number tracks.

Agree on missing the blinds - spent a fair bit of time scrolling through trying to memorise the more obscure stuff for part routes. Even found this on 173, think it was the only one of the 4 to still retain this.

received_333234442141434.jpeg

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member

CN04NRJ

Established Member
To be honest most of the unallocated stuff I’d expect to be temporary. Just not needed while frequencies are down.

Probably most if not all of the 200s will probably be back next week with the service increase I imagine. I drove 213 on the 20th so unless it's been taken off since it's already out of date.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
I drove 213 on the 20th so unless it's been taken off since it's already out of date.
Lothian AD E40D Alexander Dennis Enviro 400 SN61BBU 209, SN61BCE 213 and SN61BBZ 212 now withdrawn from service and stored at Marine Garage on 25 January 2022.

213 is visible from this photo.

CN04NRJ

Established Member

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I would imagine if these were offered for sale somebody with an already heavily ADL based fleet might well contemplate them, especially if at a good price.

As it stands with Lothian they are completely non-standard and such a small sub fleet that I would think that from an engineering and maintenance point of view it must be a nightmare. Ok we now have other buses carrying ADL body work but they are much newer and underneath are Volvo chassis.

Highland050261

On Moderation
I would imagine if these were offered for sale somebody with an already heavily ADL based fleet might well contemplate them, especially if at a good price.

As it stands with Lothian they are completely non-standard and such a small sub fleet that I would think that from an engineering and maintenance point of view it must be a nightmare. Ok we now have other buses carrying ADL body work but they are much newer and underneath are Volvo chassis.
Are the classic Lothian ADL Volvo ?

stantheman

On Moderation
As indicated by someone else here the 45 is back and operated by Central on a temporary basis . No timings shown on website from Feb 14 ?

scosutsut

Here it is Thursday 20th, I wonder what's happening with them.
Given that older buses are getting repaints right now (ECB 209xx series) I'd assume the dispose at 13 years old strategy is getting paused for a bit which given ongoing COVID impact seems understandable.

If they are on the cusp of eliminating original series Gemini's, (12 to go by my count) perhaps the focus is on cutting variation and the withdrawal of those E400s had been brought forward to get rid of another type?

Just a theory, now I've said it they'll will reappear in the next few days!