• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Group discussion (Lothian City, Lothian Country Bus and East Coast Buses)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lothianbus703

The Ex London B9s are 50mph at most some 45

AFAIK 291-294 (and all other E400EVs) have a top speed of about 45

Bear in mind the Ex London stock has spent time in slow urban environments so were probably set to 50 in their time down south. Not that Lothians native ones are any different all i’m saying is it could’ve been preferance of different operators

Id be intrigued to know the speed they’d be able to get up to without a limiter, same with all bus types. I know theres some unlimited B7s with First Glasgow which were capable of 80mph
80mph in a B7?

Sounds good for express routes :lol:

Does anybody know what a B9TL with no limiter is capable of, and what about B7RLE's?

Last edited by a moderator:

Bus9120UK

Established Member
The EastCoast B8RLEs are limited to 90kph (56mph)
Speaking to a few people, they are continuing to tell me that they are limited to 100kph (62mph) rather than 90kph. Would someone, preferably a driver, confirm what speed these buses are actually limited to? Thank you

Busman757

Right that's 572 away for paint now.
Saw 573 away for paint the other day also.

Speaking to a few people, they are continuing to tell me that they are limited to 100kph (62mph) rather than 90kph. Would someone, preferably a driver, confirm what speed these buses are actually limited to? Thank you
They are indeed limited to 62mph. Or the few times I have driven them on the X5 a few years back it did.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
186-190 appear to be at Marine, heard that the 13 and possibility 62 plate ECB B7RLEs will be replacing 1-10 early next year at Central.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
186-190 appear to be at Marine, heard that the 13 and possibility 62 plate ECB B7RLEs will be replacing 1-10 early next year at Central.
188 is out on a 280 this morning. Hopefully this switch does happen though. I think we’ll all be glad to see the back of 1-10. I would imagine these would receive a retrim and in the case of 195-199 a repaint too.

Still remains to be seen what’s happening with 176-185 after the changes.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
With today marking a year since the new EastCoastbuses and Lothiancountry livery was launched, further progress is being made regarding LC buses. It's now all of 571-578 (bar 575, and potentially 577) away at Ferrymill, and 575, 1043/5/9 are at Seafield for repaint prep. 583 and 587 moved to Livingston yesterday. I'm expecting another ex london to move to Seafield now 587 has.

Last edited:

stevenedin

Established Member
That’s great that the ex London buses are starting to be repainted. I’m guessing the priority was given so that the old Lothiancountry livery doesn’t get confused with the new Eastern Scottish livery.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
188 is out on a 280 this morning. Hopefully this switch does happen though. I think we’ll all be glad to see the back of 1-10. I would imagine these would receive a retrim and in the case of 195-199 a repaint too.

Still remains to be seen what’s happening with 176-185 after the changes.

Given they regularly end up on rush buses (bus 3 did an X37 yesterday!) I think the B7RLEs would be much better suited all around. Can't see any life for them after withdrawal, maybe some European operator might take them for spares in a best case scenario?

stevenedin

Established Member
Given they regularly end up on rush buses (bus 3 did an X37 yesterday!) I think the B7RLEs would be much better suited all around. Can't see any life for them after withdrawal, maybe some European operator might take them for spares in a best case scenario?
Or maybe E&M Horsburgh might want them

eh1

On the topic of 1-10, I've recently driven 7 which seems to have had a new battery. A massive improvement, if someone is willing to re-battery them they'd actually be semi-okay buses! Just a lot of cost involved with what is a near 10 year old bus.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
On the topic of 1-10, I've recently driven 7 which seems to have had a new battery. A massive improvement, if someone is willing to re-battery them they'd actually be semi-okay buses! Just a lot of cost involved with what is a near 10 year old bus.
Bus 10 is away for a new battery at this current moment. 18 got one recently too. I think 1-10 are okay buses, I certainly don't hate them although B7RLEs are 100% my preference.
With today marking a year since the new EastCoastbuses and Lothiancountry livery was launched, further progress is being made regarding LC buses. It's now all of 571-578 (bar 575, and potentially 577) away at Ferrymill, and 575, 1043/5/9 are at Seafield for repaint prep. 583 and 587 moved to Livingston yesterday. I'm expecting another ex london to move to Seafield now 587 has.
1043 has since left for paint, with 496 returning.

InOban

Established Member
The latest fortnightly newsletter from the Tram project confirms that the whole of the Walk is scheduled to open on 19th December. ( At present they're removing the old streetlight columns; the new lights are mounted on the stanchions which carry the tram power )

However the southern section between Picardy place and the London Road junction will reopen at the start of next week so the bus diversion will be shorter.

62 plates are knackered, apparently meant to be receiving maintenance according to ECB Driver I met today so it could be a possibility.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Major diversions up town just now due to some sort of ongoing incident. Whole east end of Princes Street blocked

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Major diversions up town just now due to some sort of ongoing incident. Whole east end of Princes Street blocked
Suspicious person as well as a suspicious bag found in the area.

Police have cordoned off parts of Princes Street as a matter of "precaution" after reports that a man was acting suspiciously.

It is understood that areas around Princes Street, like St Andrews Square, have also been evacuated.

Waverley was evacuated too.

Code Red at Waverley Station. Everyone has been evacuated and no trains running.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
The 13 plates also spent some time in the Country but it was only a few years (LCB & ECB) so makes sense that they are nearly finished, watch Horsburgh snap them up when they go for sale still.
13 plates will be lucky to have their time at LCB add up to a quarter of their total mileage. They spent most of their time on the tame 276 and 280. Horsburgh have no reason to buy them

scosutsut

I (and many others!) are holding out for an X7 frequency update in the peaks so I hope some additional singles remain/end up at ECB to allow for that!

mb88

I (and many others!) are holding out for an X7 frequency update in the peaks so I hope some additional singles remain/end up at ECB to allow for that!
I can’t see any frequency updates happening for the foreseeable future, unfortunately, with the driver shortages showing no signs of improvement.

Last edited by a moderator: