• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Group discussion (Lothian City, Lothian Country Bus and East Coast Buses)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

overthewater

Established Member
Has Lothian managed to get more new drivers for the Livingston depot? The point where they could make changes will soon be upon us, ie at the end of the month for a change in March.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
Is service 25 shared between Marine and Longstone?
Yes that's right. Most journeys are Longstone operated with a few during the day being run by Marine. Marine supply the majority of the peak time 25s minus one in the morning which is run by Central. One of the Marine buses that runs all day on the 25 then continues as an X44.

Has Lothian Managed to get more new drivers for the Livingston depot? as the point were the could make changes will soon be upon us. IE at the end of the month for a change in March.
Training buses head out to West Lothian several times a week so it is looking positive.

Last edited:

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Training buses head out to West Lothian several times a week so it is looking positive.
Always seems to be 195-198 in Livingston on training runs from what ive seen in person, good to see them getting used instead of sitting idle. Speaking of which i seen 926 last Thursday outside the omni turning onto London Road. How often do 926/927 leave Marine where i assumed they just sat around?

Bus9120UK

Established Member
Always seems to be 195-198 in Livingston on training runs from what ive seen in person, good to see them getting used instead of sitting idle. Speaking of which i seen 926 last Thursday outside the omni turning onto London Road. How often do 926/927 leave Marine where i assumed they just sat around?
195 and 198 seem to be doing random training runs - 195 did a run along the 27 earlier. I've been wondering if they've been using them to ensure they are fit for service, assuming there are plans for them to return in the future. Could 195-198 work for the X40?

926 had spent a lot of time at Longstone having moved in November. It was probably returning to Marine at that point.

Can anyone remember if the 43 ever ran in Wester Hailes many years ago?
Yeah, it ran between Wester Hailes and Waverley Bridge via Lanark Road, Slateford Road, Fountainbridge, Johnston Terrace and Lawnmarket if I remember rightly. I could be wrong but I believe that was the route up to deregulation around 1986 at which point the route was withdrawn. Hardly definitive but on the odd occasion I used the service there weren't many other passengers.

Subsequently LRT perhaps introduced a service 43 as an 'all stops' Balerno route similar to the present day 44 when they moved away from the 83 and 84 limited stop routes, with the difference being Cockburn Crescent or Mansfield Road in Balerno. But I'm confident there will be others on the forum with better memories than me!

Auld reekie

Yeah, it ran between Wester Hailes and Waverley Bridge via Lanark Road, Slateford Road, Fountainbridge, Johnston Terrace and Lawnmarket if I remember rightly. I could be wrong but I believe that was the route up to deregulation around 1986 at which point the route was withdrawn. Hardly definitive but on the odd occasion I used the service there weren't many other passengers.

Subsequently LRT perhaps introduced a service 43 as an 'all stops' Balerno route similar to the present day 44 when they moved away from the 83 and 84 limited stop routes, with the difference being Cockburn Crescent or Mansfield Road in Balerno. But I'm confident there will be others on the forum with better memories than me!
Thanks for that information.

Has Lothian managed to get more new drivers for the Livingston depot? The point where they could make changes will soon be upon us, ie at the end of the month for a change in March.
Something interesting to reiterate is that 928 and 931 are at Seafield Works, West Lothian services could be changed around a bit and/or get frequency increases. If these buses are painted white they will most likely be painted at Seafield Works like 932-935 were so it would be harder to find out if they are painted. I spotted 928 inside of Seafield as the tracker is frozen.

cammyeaston

Should the will be there to return 905 and 906 to Mainline service, is there much work to do? Would a repaint and fitting of current ticket machine do the job or have they been altered further for your work?

Should the will be there to return 905 and 906 to Mainline service, is there much work to do? Would a repaint and fitting of current ticket machine do the job or have they been altered further for your work?
If they did return to service it would be a miracle for the enthusiast but I don't think it'll happen.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
1128 is out in (completely) new Airlink livery. Don't have a photo sorry.

It's red white and blue.

VioletEclipse

It's red white and blue.
I'm curious to see what it looks like, I personally feel that white, red and blue is a colour combination which rarely looks good, but hopefully they've managed it.
Also seems to me like a sign that the XLBs are likely staying on Airlink for a wee bit longer.

stevenedin

It's red white and blue.
This will be due to Bright Bus AirPort Express starting and them wanting refresh Airlink. It makes sense that the white ones are painted first. I wonder if they have taken those awful seats out and replaced them with the standard like 1126 and 1127.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
This will be due to Bright Bus AirPort Express starting and them wanting refresh Airlink. It makes sense that the white ones are painted first. I wonder if they have taken those awful seats out and replaced them with the standard like 1126 and 1127.
I disagree that they are awful, although I can completely understand why - but no, the seats aren't changing. 1128 only entered Seafield last week.

stevenedin

I disagree that they are awful, although I can completely understand why - but no, the seats aren't changing. 1128 only entered Seafield last week.
I like the look of them but it’s the positioning of them some are leaning forward or are too big and make you feel claustrophobic especially near the back of the bus downstairs.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
I like the look of them but it’s the positioning of them some are leaning forward or are too big and make you feel claustrophobic especially near the back of the bus downstairs.
The same style is used on the Eclipse 3s but I think those are a lot more comfortable - they have a flatter headrest and leather around the moquette. The main issue is that if you are too short you'll have to uncomfortably place your head or lift it up completely due to the headrest. Downstairs at the rear I actually find it to be fairly okay, it all does seem spaced out, however you just can't see above the seats and it blocks light. Upstairs on Airlink buses it feels quite spacious. The other issue with them is that the moquettes are harder than usual - I don't mind this, I find hard seats to be comfortable, but it's a fair reason to dislike them.

Last edited:

I've just been sent a picture of the repaint. This new livery isn't a refresh - it's an abomination.
The current Airlink livery is a classy dark blue affair - the new livery is very brash and almost seems like its been borrowed from a 1970s airline.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
I've just been sent a picture of the repaint. This new livery isn't a refresh - it's an abomination.
The current Airlink livery is a classy dark blue affair - the new livery is very brash and almost seems like its been borrowed from a 1970s airline.

It's not great at all is it, the white at the bottom in particular. It's parked at the front where all the early morning XLB turns are so will most likely be out tomorrow.

It's a real shame the blue is the same tone as well, something lighter would have worked better.

buslad1988

Not a new livery, just an advert
Let’s hope so! I’ve seen the ‘advert’ and it looks like something you’d get out of a tube of toothpaste!

There’s far too much going on and too much text on the sides. How anyone is supposed to read and take it all in I’ve no idea. Certainly not one of Lothians finest moments here.