• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Group discussion (Lothian City, Lothian Country Bus and East Coast Buses)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Swanny200

I get the impression that the order was originally meant to be ADL but (perhaps to due Covid), it had to be changed earlier in the year to MCV as ADL couldn't develop a B8RLE body on time.

I do remember someone elsewhere saying that the MCV's would be perfect for Lothian as the eclipses were heavyweight and as Lothian had moved away from Wright, that MCV were the only other heavyweight single deck option, I do wonder if ADL didn't want to take the chance on offering a heavyweight option just in case Lothian were the only customer, I would imagine a lot of cost involved for development which in this climate would maybe not have been feasable, how long have replacements for the eclipses been in the pipeline?

scosutsut

I do remember someone elsewhere saying that the MCV's would be perfect for Lothian as the eclipses were heavyweight and as Lothian had moved away from Wright, that MCV were the only other heavyweight single deck option, I do wonder if ADL didn't want to take the chance on offering a heavyweight option just in case Lothian were the only customer, I would imagine a lot of cost involved for development which in this climate would maybe not have been feasable, how long have replacements for the eclipses been in the pipeline?
See I thought this but ADL did the development for the B8L E400XLBs remember and there's only been one other non Lothian order to my knowledge?

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
It’s just ‘we don’t want to’. When ECB first launched under Lothian Country, and just had the 104 & 113 there were Ridacards for zones C & D. I want to say that they still exist, however there’s no mention of them anywhere on the website, so I think it’s just a case of continuing the service to those who still have one from back then. It’s a massive frustration though, as I think there would be a decent market for them from the likes of Dirleton, East Linton, Gullane etc.

From what I recall the LCB Zone D ridacards work in Dirleton and Gullane, and they are still able to be bought, I think you just have to ask for it specifically, they even increased the prices of these ridacards back at the fare change in February

Swanny200

See I thought this but ADL did the development for the B8L E400XLBs remember and there's only been one other non Lothian order to my knowledge?

I know Stagecoach bought some, whether they will buy any more is anyones guess and as far as I know, it wasn't a huge amount either

Aaronb2601

Why does 1001 and 1002 have a different style of seat compared to the rest of the ex London fleet? Sorry I know another completely random question!

Bus9120UK

Established Member
Why does 1001 and 1002 have a different style of seat compared to the rest of the ex London fleet? Sorry I know another completely random question!
Refurbished by a different company which didn't do a great job. These where done by Thornton's but the rest were done by Wright.

Lothiangem22

When they undoubtedly stray onto the 36/38 some parts of the route might be a little 'interesting' - especially on the 36 when you meet the other bus right on the corner of Leslie Place/Kerr Street and the left hander from Queensferry Rd/Craigleith Cres.

If we still had the 20 that would have been even more fun :lol:

Or better still... the Cluny gardens diversion!

OmniCity999

Established Member
1001/1002 were highly refurbished by Thornton Brothers as a testbed and received different seating as a test. The Rest of the ex-Londoners (except 1000 and the dual doored ones) were refurbished by Wrightbus back in Ireland.
Refurbished by a different company which didn't do a great job. These where done by Thornton's but the rest were done by Wright.
Thornton Brothers undertook a comprehensive overhall to both of them including a total repanel, interior repaint, refloor and reseat.

They also refurbished all of the 7900's, 841-850 and all of the second hand motorcoaches.

Their work is of the highest quality! Hence why we keep using them.

Just because they arent of the best quality ~2 years on, doesnt mean its their fault.

Last edited:

Jordan Adam

Established Member

"Heavyweight" is referring to the chassis not the body. So it doesn't make much difference, the MCV product is probably the closest thing on the market to an Eclipse now seeing as Wright don't really offer it anymore. It'll be interesting to see what they're like down the line as B8RLE/MCVs have been very hit or miss, some are okay while others are awful particularly in terms of build quality. Irrelevant to if they'll be good buses or not but i'm not a huge fan of the front end design either, the 'eVoRa' is basically just an Evolution but with the front end of the Evoseti cheaply bodged on.

ADL certainly were working on a body for the B8RLE, however it does seem that because of Covid they've halted/delayed the project.

Thornton Brothers undertook a comprehensive overhall to both of them including a total repanel, interior repaint, refloor and reseat.

They also refurbished all of the 7900's, 814-850 and all of the second hand motorcoaches.

Just because they arent of the best quality ~2 years on, doesnt mean its their fault.

I second that, First's B7RLE/B9TL/B7LA refurbs here between 2013 and 2015 were all done by Thorntons too and were of top notch quality.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
They also refurbished all of the 7900's, 814-850 and all of the second hand motorcoaches.

The quality of the refurbishment on the 7900s is testimony to the ancient proverb of 'you can, indeed, polish a turd' :lol:

Joking aside, apart from the different seats and rear end layout I would never have known they were refurbished by different companies until I read it here today. They are both of the upmost quality and you'd never think they were up to 10 year old buses - the B9s that is.

OmniCity999

Established Member
what was done to 814-850?
I meant 841-850.

They were originally city fleet vehicles but were transferred to Lothian Motorcoaches and gained high back coach style seating, interior and exterior colour change, PA installation, new flooring and all metalwork colour change. To make them into coaching spec. They also received mechanical work and finished off with Tachographs. All a very big job.

They have since been transferred to Lothian Country 841-843 and East Coast 844-850.

Joking aside, apart from the different seats and rear end layout I would never have known they were refurbished by different companies until I read it here today. They are both of the upmost quality and you'd never think they were up to 10 year old buses - the B9s that is.

Believe when 1001/1002 were refurbished, Thorntons left the Air conditioning hardware in at the rear end due to it being such a big job to remove, removing as much as they could, with the remaining just being disabled.

When Wright done the rest of them, because they were doing such a comprehensive rebuild, it was only Wright (see what i did there?) to remove everything and start again, so much so that they are pretty much new vehicles, albeit with reconditioned engines and boxes.

Last edited:

Swanny200

"Heavyweight" is referring to the chassis not the body. So it doesn't make much difference, the MCV product is probably the closest thing on the market to an Eclipse now seeing as Wright don't really offer it anymore. It'll be interesting to see what they're like down the line as B8RLE/MCVs have been very hit or miss, some are okay while others are awful particularly in terms of build quality. Irrelevant to if they'll be good buses or not but i'm not a huge fan of the front end design either, the 'eVoRa' is basically just an Evolution but with the front end of the Evoseti cheaply bodged on.

ADL certainly were working on a body for the B8RLE, however it does seem that because of Covid they've halted/delayed the project.

I second that, First's B7RLE/B9TL/B7LA refurbs here between 2013 and 2015 were all done by Thorntons too and were of top notch quality.

I think the front looks good on darker colours, but not so much on the light colours, the grey colour of the demo looked smart in my opinion, the interiors look pretty smart too, but I doubt that Lothian will go for the theatre style seating at the front of the Uno ones as they will need that for a wheelchair or a camel space :lol:.

It does make me wonder that if if things do take an upturn in the sense of things getting back to a normality, whether ADL will continue development of their B8RLE body to tease Lothian with because if the MCV's are more of a miss than a hit where else can Lothian turn if they want to stay with a heavyweight chassis?

scotrail158713

Established Member
From what I recall the LCB Zone D ridacards work in Dirleton and Gullane, and they are still able to be bought, I think you just have to ask for it specifically, they even increased the prices of these ridacards back at the fare change in February
Yep, I forgot that - you’re correct. They really don’t advertise them at all though.

MrKyleBuses

It does make me wonder that if if things do take an upturn in the sense of things getting back to a normality, whether ADL will continue development of their B8RLE body to tease Lothian with because if the MCV's are more of a miss than a hit where else can Lothian turn if they want to stay with a heavyweight chassis?
I would not play them down just yet, we don't know how good they will be yet as they've not even entered service

Aaronb2601

I know this has probably been asked but is it likely that we will see a service update this month? I am hoping the 275 gets extended back to the gyle soon.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I know this has probably been asked but is it likely that we will see a service update this month? I am hoping the 275 gets extended back to the gyle soon.
I would suggest that it would be better to check the various information channels (Twitter, lothianbuses.com, etc.) that the company uses to make such announcements. If you wish to check to see if something has been asked already, there is a search facility at the top of the site that can be used to look for previous posts - please do make use of this.

The only people who may be likely to know are the forum members who work for Lothian and it's likely that they won't be permitted to give any information out before its made public.

overthewater

Established Member
It very unlikely it will be anytime soon, because of these current lockdowns in places, On top of that RBS has made clear to its staff, They do not expect to fully return to main office until next spring, on top of that Gyle building is supposed to be gone for good. im lead to believe many of the other business have kept people on home working aswell.

Instead of asking on here, it might be worth telling Lothian ;) you would like the bus back to the Gyle for whatever reason, and one would hope that make them think well passengers wish to return to the gyle, we should put a bus on.

CN04NRJ

Established Member

Definitely not this month, beyond that who knows.

Volvodart

Established Member

They would need a substantial order from Lothian to make it worthwhile developing it. How many single deckers are Lothian needing in the near future (with the announcments from the likes of First and National Express that they are stopping buying diesel buses)?

Bus9120UK

Established Member

They also refurbished all of the 7900's, 841-850 and all of the second hand motorcoaches.

I agree with the 7900's and 841-850, however when I have been on both 1001 & 1002 the quality really wasn't too good.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
I agree with the 7900's and 841-850, however when I have been on both 1001 & 1002 the quality really wasn't too good.
1001/2 are decently refurbished imo. not been on wither since around last christmas but i doubt their interior has deteriorated that badly

CN04NRJ

Established Member
1001/2 are decently refurbished imo. not been on wither since around last christmas but i doubt their interior has deteriorated that badly

I've driven both within the last 6 weeks and I wouldn't say there's any real difference between them and the rest except the cab seat is irritatingly set further forward in 1002.

Established Member
I've driven both within the last 6 weeks and I wouldn't say there's any real difference between them and the rest except the cab seat is irritatingly set further forward in 1002.
All the ex London buses have seats mounted further forward than the native examples, but it's noticeably worse on 1001 and 1002.

They drive alright, but I'm glad they're away from Central as the driving position is rather uncomfortable for me.

Do Lothian city drivers ever drive LCB routes or vice versa? I’m sure I’ve seen it in the past, but not 100% sure.
Others will know the position better than me but I'd be surprised if any shared driving work is actually scheduled on routine services. However it isn't unknown for a bus and driver to be rustled up from a foreign depot to run an occasional journey.