• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Group discussion (Lothian City, Lothian Country Bus and East Coast Buses)

ScotRail158725

Established Member
The 43 doesn’t really have many sections of fast running. Only a small stretch between Crammond Brig and the Dalmeny turnoff is a 50mph limit. And would the same not apply to 571-578 which are also hybrids and run on Lothian Country services on fast A roads?
Those do breakdown a fair bit those hybrids although they handle the running better than 201-215 would. The B5 Hybrids have nowhere near the performance on country roads as the B9TLs particularly the ZF ones

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Darklord8899

Not for the first time, I saw one of the 7900's this afternoon returning to Longstone, unfortunately being towed by McPhies :'(

Established Member
The 43 doesn’t really have many sections of fast running. Only a small stretch between Crammond Brig and the Dalmeny turnoff is a 50mph limit. And would the same not apply to 571-578 which are also hybrids and run on Lothian Country services on fast A roads?
The B5s still have their hybrid running gear and the extra power that goes with it, so they're alright for faster stuff.

Honestly, apart from anything else, the hill just after the Cramond brig would be a pain, since most of the E400s just don't have the torque for that sort of hill and would end up slowing to a crawl.

computerSaysNo

Established Member
The B5s still have their hybrid running gear and the extra power that goes with it, so they're alright for faster stuff.

Honestly, apart from anything else, the hill just after the Cramond brig would be a pain, since most of the E400s just don't have the torque for that sort of hill and would end up slowing to a crawl.
Here's an interesting question: are the hybrid B5s better at the "faster stuff" than the straight-diesel B5s? Just thinking of a comparison between Lothian Country's B5LHs and East Coast's B5TLs...

Blindtraveler

Established Member
From a passengers point of view the ZF B9 are absolutely fantastic buses for Lothian country work. Whilst I'm sure the b5 hybrid can hold its own I've noticed that quite a few of the x18 which are regularly worked by these seem to lose time at certain points, I don't know if this is down to the bus all the other conditions or a bit of both but can't help wondering

ScotRail158725

Established Member
From a passengers point of view the ZF B9 are absolutely fantastic buses for Lothian country work. Whilst I'm sure the b5 hybrid can hold its own I've noticed that quite a few of the x18 which are regularly worked by these seem to lose time at certain points, I don't know if this is down to the bus all the other conditions or a bit of both but can't help wondering
The ZF B9s are brilliant on country work due to the 9L engine teamed with a 6 speed gearbox, its really noticable how much of an advantage the bigger engine gives over the B5s. Same with how much the 6 speed gearbox gives a better performance than 928-936 with their 4 speed Voith gearboxes

mb88

Some (but not all) of the B9s can get up to 50mph whereas the B5LHs are restricted to 42mph. On the other hand, I find the hybrids a lot quicker pulling away which does go some way to compensating for the lower top speed. Some of the B9s are very, very sluggish.

Lothianbus703

Some (but not all) of the B9s can get up to 50mph whereas the B5LHs are restricted to 42mph. On the other hand, I find the hybrids a lot quicker pulling away which does go some way to compensating for the lower top speed. Some of the B9s are very, very sluggish.
Some of the B9TLs that Lothian used to have were extremely fast at speeding up (not extreme but felt quick). I have a memory of a B5 and a B9 at a junction, the light went green and they both went ahead. The B9 got ahead quickly although I have been on some sluggish B9s as well.

(Yes I am aware that buses aren't racing cars and that I sound a bit like some certain groups of people; these are all from past experiences and I am not saying "oh all new buses are bad, bring back euro 2 bus")

Last edited by a moderator:

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Here's an interesting question: are the hybrid B5s better at the "faster stuff" than the straight-diesel B5s? Just thinking of a comparison between Lothian Country's B5LHs and East Coast's B5TLs...
Generally yes. The B5LHs with the electric motors and engine combined are more powerful than a B5TL and the I-Shift gearbox is well suited to high speed running. I'd go as far to argue that the B5LHs work better on express/rural runs than they do on start stop.
Unusual that they're restricted to 42MPH. All of the Stagecoach East Scotland B5LHs are restricted to 52MPH except one which for some reason does 57MPH.

The thing with Hybrids is that they really aren’t like a Volvo B9 or even Scania DC9 equipped vehicles with an Ecolife.

The B5LH hybrids if they are cruising at 50mph causes the engine to strain in the same fashion that Voith fitted diesel units do at high speed.

Not great for keeping the noise down.

Volvo B5LH chassis, because they're self-charging hybrids, their whole driveline is best suited to 30mph. light acceleration with progressive light braking in advanced of stopping to help maintain there battery power, as they're parallel hybrids their electric motors are small in comparison to a full electric bus motor. The pause between gearing can also be a grating factor when so used to Auto-Diesels.

Hybrid buses are often heavier than their diesel-only counterparts which also blunts their performance from a standstill.

The number one reason why I hated driving the 7900s at Lothian.
Some of the B9TLs that Lothian used to have were extremely fast at speeding up (not extreme but felt quick). I have a memory of a B5 and a B9 at a junction, the light went green and they both went ahead. The B9 got ahead quickly although I have been on some sluggish B9s as well.

(Yes I am aware that buses aren't racing cars and that I sound a bit like some certain groups of people; these are all from past experiences and I am not saying "oh all new buses are bad, bring back euro 2 bus")
It’s a similar circumstance to Glasgows B9TLs, the control with which engineering management are maintaining the correct software control. Engines and gearboxes haven’t been configured the same way on all vehicles, possibly some were missed if it was previously changed.

Last edited by a moderator:

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
EastCoastbuses up to 57 have been in service since their repaints now. 58-60 being in the repaint process.

They're getting through those repaints of the Eclipse 3's very swiftly, only 5 more to go once 58, 59 and 60 return.
I was in Musselburgh tonight and 61 left the depot looking like it was heading for Marine. Similarly to 58 the AVL appears to have frozen. I know ECB send stuff to Marine all the time but I did wonder if there could be a high chance it’s away for repaint.

EDIT: I later saw 61 come back to Musselburgh so I have absolutely no idea what it was up to. It definitely was heading in the direction of Marine but unless it was used as a driver shuttle to The Jewel for a 104/X7 driver swap?

Last edited:

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
Just a quick message. Does anyone know where I might be able to find an exact list of where a list of which Lothian vehicles have been sold and to where? Just curious to see where most of the recent departures have ended up.

Last edited:

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
Does anyone know that when the 44A ran that it was only at peak times or all day?
All day, and I think every day too - although I think the Sunday service was something that was brought in towards the end of the 44A. One way only (Balerno bound).

Say the 44 was every 10 minutes at this point, the 44A would be in place of every 3rd 44 (so every 30 minutes). Something like that anyway.

Auld reekie

All day, and I think every day too - although I think the Sunday service was something that was brought in towards the end of the 44A. One way only (Balerno bound).

Say the 44 was every 10 minutes at this point, the 44A would be in place of every 3rd 44 (so every 30 minutes). Something like that anyway.
Thanks.

DunsBus

Established Member
44A replaced the old 43, which ran during the day. The 43, when it started in 1987, ran both ways but by 1993 it had become westbound only, on a 30-minute frequency. When the 44 was relaunched as a low-floor service in 1999, it was intended to withdraw the 43 but at the last minute this plan was dropped and the 43 then became the 44A, albeit on a reduced frequency (one bus an hour). As mentioned above, the 44A later went to every 30 minutes and was replaced when the "Balerno Loop" was introduced on the 44.

Auld reekie

44A replaced the old 43, which ran during the day. The 43, when it started in 1987, ran both ways but by 1993 it had become westbound only, on a 30-minute frequency. When the 44 was relaunched as a low-floor service in 1999, it was intended to withdraw the 43 but at the last minute this plan was dropped and the 43 then became the 44A, albeit on a reduced frequency (one bus an hour). As mentioned above, the 44A later went to every 30 minutes and was replaced when the "Balerno Loop" was introduced on the 44.
Good bit of information.
Thanks.