• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Group discussion (Lothian City, Lothian Country Bus and East Coast Buses)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Good news considering it's frequency decrease.

176 and 186 have now moved to Newbridge.
177 & 187 are en route there now too.

To my surprise as well, 933 is put on the 43. I reckoned these changes would be the end for 928-934.

Last edited by a moderator:
177 & 187 are en route there now too.

To my surprise aswell 933 is put on the 43, reckoned these changes would be the end for 928-934
I'd suggest these will remain until the repaints are back.
As @Bus9120UK says, these will remain in the LCB fleet until the other buses needing repainted are back, this will probably be our final goodbyes, I hope we get news sooner rather than later.

Last edited:

JurassicMan

So from the big entrance of "We are on our way" in 2018 to the meek surrender and in a flash it turned to "We've virtually gone away" LCB really have left quite a few people in the lurch. I'm not sure a network can survive on 3 routes in West Lothian especially as 2 of those virtually duplicate each other.

Only a matter of time until the Deans experiment is wound up and either the 3 routes run from the city or they are cut short to operate from Edinburgh to Livingston Centre.

It certainly did not pan out as many expected it to in 2018 and probably the complete opposite to many predictions.

DunsBus

Established Member
So from the big entrance of "We are on our way" in 2018 to the meek surrender and in a flash it turned to "We've virtually gone away" LCB really have left quite a few people in the lurch,not sure a network can survive on 3 routes in West Lothian especially as 2 of those virtually duplicate each other.

Only a matter of time until the Deans experiment is wound up and either the 3 routes run from the city or they are cut short to operate from Edinburgh to Livingston Centre.

It certainly did not pan out as many expected it to in 2018 and probably the complete opposite to many predictions.
LCB were playing catch-up right from the start, as First tweaked its network ahead of LCB starting.

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
So from the big entrance of "We are on our way" in 2018 to the meek surrender and in a flash it turned to "We've virtually gone away" LCB really have left quite a few people in the lurch,not sure a network can survive on 3 routes in West Lothian especially as 2 of those virtually duplicate each other.

Here we go again.. :lol:

overthewater

Established Member

LCB can operate on only 3 routes, especially since they will be grabbing all the city passengers. I still hope Lothian will bid for the x40 and clamp it on to the X27/28.

Last edited:

Bus9120UK

Established Member
The Wright Electroliner is back with Lothian - things aren't going well at all though with it now having been stuck at Bruntsfield Place for 3+ hours.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
It's certainly not, I doubt they will actually get a Wrightbus for a long time but it's a second turn for it, and Lothian doesn't normally do that so maybe It's a sign Lothian will buy some of them after all?
286 came twice and I’m sure another demonstrator did as well.

InOban

Established Member
The key route from Edinburgh must lead to St. John's hospital. many Edinburgh residents get treated there.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
The Wright Electroliner is back with Lothian - things aren't going well at all though with it now having been stuck at Bruntsfield Place for 3+ hours.
A good start to its return then…
These things happen sometimes. It ran without fault for the 4 weeks or so it was at Stagecoach Bluebird and frequently did trips up to Ellon too; it wasn't confined to City work either.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
surely theres enough of the Ex London stuff spare to keep them going through the repaints? I thought the new PVR was about 35?
PVR is 28 if I recall correctly. Currently it's 579-590 (soon 578 as well) & 1003/4, 1013, 1028, 1030-1042, 1044/6/7 in use with others away for paint. That's a total of 32 (33 with 578) so I think 4/5 buses of the road a time is rather tight, hence why 933/4 have seen use.

Away for paint right now is 571-576, 1043/5/8/9. 577 will join them soon i'm assuming, considering it's just left Livingston after a month off the road for an MOT test at Longstone. I then expect it to head to Seafield after, similarly to what happened with 575.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
PVR is 28 if I recall correctly. Currently it's 579-590 (soon 578 as well) & 1003/4, 1013, 1028, 1030-1042, 1044/6/7 in use with others away for paint. That's a total of 32 (33 with 578) so I think 4/5 buses of the road a time is rather tight, hence why 933/4 have seen use.

Away for paint right now is 571-576, 1043/5/8/9. 577 will join them soon i'm assuming, considering it's just left Livingston after a month off the road for an MOT test at Longstone. I then expect it to head to Seafield after, similarly to what happened with 575.
For a PVR of 28 once those B5s are back there will be enough in the form of the B9s to keep the fleet just 571-590 and the Ex London B9s

Bus9120UK

Established Member
For a PVR of 28 once those B5s are back there will be enough in the form of the B9s to keep the fleet just 571-590 and the Ex London B9s
I do think not all Ex London's are required considering all of them would add up to a fleet of 44, thus I think some may be moved to other operations or stored.

Last edited:

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
I do think not all Ex London's are required considering all of them would add up to a fleet of 44, this I think some may be moved to other operations or stored.
I agree with this. Seems like too many double decks for the long term fleet.

To add to the outgoings, 176-182, 184-187, 189-190 have all been moved to storage at Newbridge. 183 and 188 remain at Livingston but it’s probably only a matter of time before they join the rest.
Hopefully some will move to replace 841-850 at ECB
841-850 are in a better state than 937-950 are so it’s likely they’ll go first, or all of the double decks will be replaced in one go. Many of 937-950 are getting close to 1 million miles now.

scosutsut

Hopefully some will move to replace 841-850 at ECB
ECB frequencies are so poor they often need the extra capacity of the native long wheelbase B9s in my opinion! Often full and standing.

I agree with this. Seems like too many double decks for the long term fleet.

To add to the outgoings, 176-182, 184-187, 189-190 have all been moved to storage at Newbridge. 183 and 188 remain at Livingston but it’s probably only a matter of time before they join the rest.

841-850 are in a better state than 937-950 are so it’s likely they’ll go first, or all of the double decks will be replaced in one go. Many of 937-950 are getting close to 1 million miles now.
I agree I reckon they will batch replace them. The repainting of 841-850 seems to back this up. (Although tell that to 591-4!)

computerSaysNo

Established Member
ECB frequencies are so poor they often need the extra capacity of the native long wheelbase B9s in my opinion! Often full and standing.
Are they? I've only ever been on one full and standing ECB service and that was a 124 on a hot day in summer. I know the X7s get full in the peak but those are not decker-operated.
X6 I've never seen particularly full.
140 tends to switch between single decks and double decks so it can't be too busy either?
141 I've not been on yet.
I agree I reckon they will batch replace them. The repainting of 841-850 seems to back this up. (Although tell that to 591-4!)
I'd agree with this too, if ECB end up with ex-Londons that'll be another vehicle type for them to deal with. To be honest I'm surprised they and Lothian Country haven't already received an all-new fleet, all from the same order batch; it would have dealt with all the repaints in one sweep, allowed both garages one consistent fleet and given a much more consistent experience to passengers.

stevenedin

Established Member
Are they? I've only ever been on one full and standing ECB service and that was a 124 on a hot day in summer. I know the X7s get full in the peak but those are not decker-operated.
X6 I've never seen particularly full.
140 tends to switch between single decks and double decks so it can't be too busy either?
141 I've not been on yet.

I'd agree with this too, if ECB end up with ex-Londons that'll be another vehicle type for them to deal with. To be honest I'm surprised they and Lothian Country haven't already received an all-new fleet, all from the same order batch; it would have dealt with all the repaints in one sweep, allowed both garages one consistent fleet and given a much more consistent experience to passengers.
I’ve been on both the X5 and X7 recently and there has been people standing although they are single deckers. They were daytime on a Saturday.

Variety isn’t a bad thing to be honest although maybe for the mechanics it’s easier to have the same type of bus to maintain.

scosutsut

I expect had it not been for COVID that might have happened already but profits are gone and with them renewal budgets it seems!

The X6 can be rammed at peaks and the 124s on nice days - weekends particularly. Maybe not often enough to avoid short wheelbase vehicles though, that's fair.

Lothianbus703

I am doing research into the old Green Arrow Plaxton Leopards - specifically pertaining to the wheelchair lift. By any chance does anyone know:
- Where the lift was
- Where the seat/lack of seat was
- If the lift was not at the front entrance, how did wheelchair users pay for their ticket?

Thanks in advance

I am doing research into the old Green Arrow Plaxton Leopards - specifically pertaining to the wheelchair lift. By any chance does anyone know:
- Where the lift was
- Where the seat/lack of seat was
- If the lift was not at the front entrance, how did wheelchair users pay for their ticket?

Thanks in advance
My guess is that the lift was actually in the middle of the bus. See the photo in this link:

My guess to how passengers paid is there would be a contactless screen and for cash payers, the driver would go to the back for payment, (Which is a rather inconvenient suggestion.)

Last edited: