• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Group discussion (Lothian City, Lothian Country Bus and East Coast Buses)

Mal

Having just watched a video of route 100 from the Airport to City Centre, I wondered why it doesn't use bus lanes when they are empty of local buses?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Having just watched a video of route 100 from the Airport to City Centre, I wondered why it doesn't use bus lanes when they are empty of local buses?
The bus lanes have far more potholes and holes where the drain covers are, than the lanes in the centre of the road do.
In my opinion it's probably easier driving too; a bus takes up the majority of the width of the road, if you're between the painted central median (which I think most of the A8 has) and the painted "edge of lane" lines then there's at least a few centimeters either side as wiggle room, whereas if you're between the painted "edge of lane" lines and the raised kerb then you've got far less wiggle room.

eh1

I think we should still keep singles on the 2, because Marine won't have a designated Single Deck route if the 2 becomes doubles, and we would have to keep singles etc. I would like every depot to have a single allocated route ideally.
Every garage has designated "single deck" routes, doesn't necessarily mean they run as single decks. For example, the 24 for the last few years was always double decks, despite it being a single deck route up until last year. IMO they'd be better off using deckers on all routes where possible, can't see the running costs being much different given how troublesome the 7900s have been.

can't see the running costs being much different
Especially on City routes where the vehicles rarely get above about 30 mph anyway. I can see the difference in fuel usage being large for certain East Coast and Lothian Country routes, but those operators' routes are all fairly settled on single/decker operation anyway.

Mal

The bus lanes have far more potholes and holes where the drain covers are, than the lanes in the centre of the road do.
In my opinion it's probably easier driving too; a bus takes up the majority of the width of the road, if you're between the painted central median (which I think most of the A8 has) and the painted "edge of lane" lines then there's at least a few centimeters either side as wiggle room, whereas if you're between the painted "edge of lane" lines and the raised kerb then you've got far less wiggle room.
Many thanks. Could make a better impression on visitors with a smoother ride as well!

eh1

Many thanks. Could make a better impression on visitors with a smoother ride as well!
Gonna chime in on this too, Airlink as a whole was a pretty rough route, however resurfacing at Wester Coates and Airport will make a huge difference. Another benefit to keeping out of bus lanes is people tend to realise you don't stop at a stop, if you aren't in the bus lane. Plenty people don't realise the service is limited stop

CN04NRJ

Established Member
I think we should still keep singles on the 2, because Marine won't have a designated Single Deck route if the 2 becomes doubles, and we would have to keep singles etc. I would like every depot to have a single allocated route ideally.

The 48 is still a 'single deck' route in that it's staffed by single deck drivers, but operated by double deck buses.

In regards to the post about the 100 above, I try to stay out of the bus lanes some of the time when driving the 31 as the road surface is absolutely atrocious.

Mal

Gonna chime in on this too, Airlink as a whole was a pretty rough route, however resurfacing at Wester Coates and Airport will make a huge difference. Another benefit to keeping out of bus lanes is people tend to realise you don't stop at a stop, if you aren't in the bus lane. Plenty people don't realise the service is limited stop
In roller blind days, was the 100 not screened 'Express' or 'Limited Stop'? That would have told folk waiting that it was not 'all stops'. Now with only the destination shown, this info is not available.

In roller blind days, was the 100 not screened 'Express' or 'Limited Stop'? That would have told folk waiting that it was not 'all stops'. Now with only the destination shown, this info is not available.
Wasn't that replaced with the word "Express" in big letters on the side of the vehicle? Although I suppose people maybe don't look at that as much as they'd look at "Express" being written on the front.

stevenedin

It was displayed like this

DunsBus

Established Member
Wasn't that replaced with the word "Express" in big letters on the side of the vehicle? Although I suppose people maybe don't look at that as much as they'd look at "Express" being written on the front.
Going back to the LRT era, buses screened "Lothian Region Transport" and then "LRT Lothian" as an intermediate. "Limited Stop" started being used around 1995.

scosutsut

Spotted one of 10195-99 heading south on the A1 at QMU this morning. Had VOR in the window and a trade plate in the window. Couldn't spot a number / reg to identify which. No movements on bustimes to check. No visible repairs on it (in terms of it being prepped for paint)

Last edited:

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
Spotted one of 10195-99 heading south on the A1 at QMU this morning. Had VOR in the window and a trade plate in the window. Couldn't spot a number / reg to identify which. No movements on bustimes to check. No visible repairs on it (in terms of it being prepped for paint)
198 moved to Longstone last week for an MOT. It’s likely this is one of 195-196 doing the same thing as their trackers are fully switched off. 197 and 198’s trackers are back on again, while 199 hasn’t moved in order for it to start re-tracking.

176-190 as we know now will all be going into madder, some of these have had MOT’s. Could 195-199 about to be doing the same thing?

stevenedin

198 moved to Longstone last week for an MOT. It’s likely this is one of 195-196 doing the same thing as their trackers are fully switched off. 197 and 198’s trackers are back on again, while 199 hasn’t moved in order for it to start re-tracking.

176-190 as we know now will all be going into madder, some of these have had MOT’s. Could 195-199 about to be doing the same thing?
It would be nice if they just repainted them all into the Lothian livery and brought them back into service. Is the 24 still needing double deckers?

This could be moved back to double decker and possibly the 1 and 2 fully decker operated. That’s not to mention if they have plans for new or revised services using these buses.

I hope they do, I saw 195 at the front of Marine on Friday, so maybe that's why that was at the front? We'll have to wait and see!

eh1

It would be nice if they just repainted them all into the Lothian livery and brought them back into service. Is the 24 still needing double deckers?

This could be moved back to double decker and possibly the 1 and 2 fully decker operated. That’s not to mention if they have plans for new or revised services using these buses.
24 is fully decker currently, and I'd argue should continue to stay that way.
Hopefully these are to replace some of the Hybrids, however I've heard contrasting information suggesting the hybrids are to stay for longer, so perhaps they are intending to change some routes, or take back work like the 20/63?

stevenedin

24 is fully decker currently, and I'd argue should continue to stay that way.
Hopefully these are to replace some of the Hybrids, however I've heard contrasting information suggesting the hybrids are to stay for longer, so perhaps they are intending to change some routes, or take back work like the 20/63?
I was thinking of the 20/63 but it would need to be put out for tender and they would need to have the winning bid unless this has already happened?

It could also have something to do with the Council’s plans to offer better public transport services in Edinburgh. Perhaps a service plugging in the gaps but who knows.

Darklord8899

It could also have something to do with the Council’s plans to offer better public transport services in Edinburgh. Perhaps a service plugging in the gaps but who knows.

Don't hold your breath; the council wants everyone to walk or cycle and they will happily shaft buses along with cars.
If the council was that on board with promoting bus usage then we would have had bus priority measures years ago.
(For example, more bus lanes and them being kept clear of parked cars etc; priority lights at junctions - this technology has been around for years, whereby a bus approaching a junction can keep lights green til it is through them, or likewise change the lights in the favour of the bus if the lights are against on approach)

Last edited by a moderator:

A330Alex

they will happily shaft buses along with cars.
(priority lights at junctions - this technology has been around for years, whereby a bus approaching a junction can keep lights green til it is through them, or likewise change the lights in the favour of the bus if the lights are against on approach)
That was quite literally part of last week’s PTAP. (Public transport action plan)
To continue to improve bus performance, new Urban Traffic Control (UTC) and Automatic Vehicle Location (AVL) technologies will be rolled out across all bus operator services. Bus priority at signalised junctions will be trialled on two corridors, one in the South of the City, Dalkeith Road (A7) and one in the West, Slateford Road (A70). The trial will encompass two operators: Borders Buses on the Southbound corridor will trial services 51, X95 and X62 and Lothian Buses will trial the service 30 on the South corridor and services 44, 34, 35 & 38 on the West corridor. The trial will encompass a total of 39 virtual loops at 15 junctions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a quick question. Why do the registrations for some routes list the termini incorrectly?
For example Route 2 is recorded as running South Gyle to Magdalene instead of Gyle Centre to The Jewel?

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
Just a quick question. Why do the registrations for some routes list the termini incorrectly?
For example Route 2 is recorded as running South Gyle to Magdalene instead of Gyle Centre to The Jewel?
I’m not sure the example you’ve given is the best as the areas for the 2 are correct.

The 15 is one that is completely off though.

stevenedin

I’m not sure the example you’ve given is the best as the areas for the 2 are correct.

The 15 is one that is completely off though.
I’ve seen some with spelling errors as well like having ‘St Andrews Square’ instead of ‘St Andrew Square’. I still don’t know why so many people get this one wrong.

If it’s the VOSA site you are referring to, it’s never 100% accurate. I don’t know who updates it but you are best to refer to the operators website which is more likely to be correct.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
Looks like former Cobbles' Tour 232 is heading away for paint. Image from live traffic camera at Dreghorn. Screenshot_20230208_101022_Styx Browser.png