• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Group discussion (Lothian City, Lothian Country Bus and East Coast Buses)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ScotRail158725

Established Member
616 back at Longstone now, should be back out soon

411 415 446 652 all still off the road. not sure if theres any others

Lx008

Lothian really needs to sort their scheduling out. It’s not acceptable for a city centre stop (leith street JA) with 4 different bus lines, to have not a single bus for almost 40min on a Sun afternoon as happened yesterday around 4pm.
The app announced around 5 different buses that didn’t turn up, leading to the 5 that finally did turn up having to take on almost 60 people.
Lothin is generally an amazing operator but I expected better in this case.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
I haven't seen 364, 433, 628 or 1044 in a while
The former two did return to service but haven't been out in a few days. 1044 is at Livingston in the maintenance bays. Not sure what's up with 628.
1096 is at Ferrymill for repair, 2, 34 and 41 seem to be off the road too, not sure what's up with those.
Seafield? Alongside 1136.

buslad1988

Lothian, really needs to sort their scheduling out. It’s not acceptable for a city center stop (leith street JA) with 4 different bus lines, to have not a single bus for almost 40min on a Sun afternoon as happend yesterday around 4pm.
The app announced around 5 different buses that didn’t turn up leading to the 5 that finally did turn up having to take on almost 60 people.
Lothin is generally an amazing operator but I expected better in this case
Buses were pulled out of Leith Street entirely yesterday due to severe congestion caused by the St James Quarter Car Park and terrible traffic management system around Picardy Place.

Be warned with christmas fast approaching this is going to be a continual daily occurance!

Whilst it’s frustrating for those waiting in Leith Street diverting away from there is necessary to try and maintain any kind of network across the whole city - I’d advise keeping an eye on the app and twitter feeds for updates.

The new departure screen at the southern of the two southbound Surgeons' Hall bus stops at 9am this morning seemed to be stuck around 2am — it was still showing night buses and the latest bus shown was just before 6am!

computerSaysNo

Established Member
Buses were pulled out of Leith Street entirely yesterday due to severe congestion caused by the St James Quarter Car Park and terrible traffic management system around Picardy Place.

Be warned with christmas fast approaching this is going to be a continual daily occurance!

Whilst it’s frustrating for those waiting in Leith Street diverting away from there is necessary to try and maintain any kind of network across the whole city - I’d advise keeping an eye on the app and twitter feeds for updates.
I'd still argue it's not acceptable to divert buses away and only advertise this on the app. They need to be using the new departure screens to show last minute diversions in an obvious way (large text, flashing lights), or if not possible then send someone out to tell people.

I agree about the traffic management in Picardy Place though. I was thinking the other day that it should be used as a case study for what not to do.

Darklord8899

I'd still argue it's not acceptable to divert buses away and only advertise this on the app. They need to be using the new departure screens to show last minute diversions in an obvious way (large text, flashing lights), or if not possible then send someone out to tell people.

I agree about the traffic management in Picardy Place though. I was thinking the other day that it should be used as a case study for what not to do.

Given the new screens can't even show live tracking (only timetabled times) there is currently no hope of them showing diverted or delayed buses....

There should have been far more testing of the new system before it was rolled out and went live - but that's the council for you.....

Also, as an aside, this morning when I went to work:
30 was back to showing "Musselburgh"!! Er.... no its QMU now
25 was back to showing "Craigentinney"
35 was back to showing as "North Leith"

Complete and utter shambles, sadly

Bus9120UK

Established Member
Given the new screens can't even show live tracking (only timetabled times) there is currently no hope of them showing diverted or delayed buses....

There should have been far more testing of the new system before it was rolled out and went live - but that's the council for you.....
They could, but as a result of a few bugs, they've opted to display timetabled information instead. It's a shame, as all the live times were perfectly accurate at my stops minus buses disappearing, so a step in the reverse direction. Supposedly won't be live again until Spring again.

Darklord8899

They could, but as a result of a few bugs, they've opted to display timetabled information instead. It's a shame, as all the live times were perfectly accurate at my stops minus buses disappearing, so a step in the reverse direction. Supposedly won't be live again until Spring again.

I would love to see them showing actual times, delays, diversions etc- it *should* be possible, but when will we actually get that is another story, for another day and another thread..... (before Gus comes at me getting off topic - sorry Gus :oops: )

Theproinsider

Lothian really needs to sort their scheduling out. It’s not acceptable for a city centre stop (leith street JA) with 4 different bus lines, to have not a single bus for almost 40min on a Sun afternoon as happened yesterday around 4pm.
The app announced around 5 different buses that didn’t turn up, leading to the 5 that finally did turn up having to take on almost 60 people.
Lothin is generally an amazing operator but I expected better in this case.
Road was closed by police for a time. Helicopter buses not invented yet.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Road was closed by police for a time. Helicopter buses not invented yet.

I believe there was also roadworks on south bridge causing significant delays.

In reply to the original post about Leith Street, weekends up to Christmas see far more car traffic than during the week (or even the festival for that matter) in the centre and retail parks. As you said, maybe helicopter buses could be the only solution at this time of year!

Lothianbus703

Why did the Citaro C2 not pass its trial with Lothian?

Link is to an image of a blue citaro on service 45 with Lothian

Last edited by a moderator:

Why did the Citaro C2 not pass its trial with Lothian?

IMAGE OF A BLUE CITARO ON SERVICE 45 WITH LOTHIAN
View attachment 147426
I'd imagine it would probably be to do with various things, not least:
  • Not a Volvo so part commonality is sod all
  • The O295K trialled would be too low capacity for most Lothian routes
  • Citaros are expensive (It's Mercedes, go figure)
  • Citaros have a certain flamey reputation in the UK, so certain board members might be biased against. (pure speculation)

paul47B

The new departure screen at the southern of the two southbound Surgeons' Hall bus stops at 9am this morning seemed to be stuck around 2am — it was still showing night buses and the latest bus shown was just before 6B severe delays on Leith Street

The new departure screen at the southern of the two southbound Surgeons' Hall bus stops at 9am this morning seemed to be stuck around 2am — it was still showing night buses and the latest bus shown was just before 6am!
Blame the delays on Leith Street for an 8 hour hold up of the Night Buses:lol:

computerSaysNo

Established Member
Honestly why is there even a car park that big in the very centre of Edinburgh? It should never have been built.
And that traffic circle outside the Omni has such badly timed traffic lights. They should also have put in bus lanes but they haven't.
I'm glad the likes of the 26 and 44 (are there any others?) are still going up Waterloo Place instead of London Road, at least that stops those routes getting delayed from the Omni area and removes a significant number of buses from that traffic circle.
26 is still every 10 minutes so that's six buses an hour times two directions is 12 buses an hour. 44 is every 12 mins so 5 an hour times two is 10 an hour. So that's 22 buses an hour removed from that Picardy Place traffic circle which is good.

Lx008

Honestly why is there even a car park that big in the very centre of Edinburgh? It should never have been built.
And that traffic circle outside the Omni has such badly timed traffic lights. They should also have put in bus lanes but they haven't.
I'm glad the likes of the 26 and 44 (are there any others?) are still going up Waterloo Place instead of London Road, at least that stops those routes getting delayed from the Omni area and removes a significant number of buses from that traffic circle.
26 is still every 10 minutes so that's six buses an hour times two directions is 12 buses an hour. 44 is every 12 mins so 5 an hour times two is 10 an hour. So that's 22 buses an hour removed from that Picardy Place traffic circle which is good.
Probably will never happen but would really love a bus route that goes across the bridges and then follows waterloo place toward abbeyhill

Numpt33

Also, as an aside, this morning when I went to work:
30 was back to showing "Musselburgh"!! Er.... no its QMU now
25 was back to showing "Craigentinney"
35 was back to showing as "North Leith"

Complete and utter shambles, sadly
If the names of places are that removed from reality, it's probably not Lothian Buses, or (god forbid) Edinburgh Council's mistake, or their thing to fix. That level of local ignorance means it's probably a Scottish or UK Government thing. North Leith and South Leith are old civil parishes - north and south of the river.

Traveline Scotland journey planner lists loads of places as being in "north Leith", so this thing isn't just the Council or Lothian Buses.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
If the names of places are that removed from reality, it's probably not Lothian Buses, or (god forbid) Edinburgh Council's mistake, or their thing to fix. That level of local ignorance means it's probably a Scottish or UK Government thing. North Leith and South Leith are old civil parishes - north and south of the river.

Traveline Scotland journey planner lists loads of places as being in "north Leith", so this thing isn't just the Council or Lothian Buses.
Mind that it was fixed, and they displayed the correct termini names, but a few weeks ago the issue returned. This was at the same time as the conversion to timetabled times which will remain in the near future.