• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Low/non-existent fuel costs in the South?

Status
Not open for further replies.

absolutelymilk

Established Member
According to the table on page 36 of "UK rail industry financial information 2016-17"
http://orr.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf...il-industry-financial-information-2016-17.pdf

Govia Thameslink spent only £2 million on fuel and South Western & South Eastern spent <£0.5 million. This compares to £6 million for Merseyrail electrics, which is well under a tenth of the size of these franchises. Is there some kind of special deal that means these franchises get fuel costs covered?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

B&I

Established Member
Thameslink have wired their trains up to lampposts for da leccy

hwl

Established Member
Electricity technical and legally isn't fuel so shouldn't be in fuel costs. So an opps from Merseyrail fulling out the paperwork.
Traction electricity costs are included in track access charge system.

GTR is just the cl. 171 diesel cost for Uckfield and Marshlink as well as van car forklift etc. usage.

Agent_Squash

Established Member
I’d imagine the SWT 158/159 fleet would run up a bigger bill than the smaller 171 fleet?

absolutelymilk

Established Member
Strange that c2c and TFL Rail also have it included in fuel costs when they are also all electric!

theironroad

Established Member
I'm wondering if the £0 is as a result of incomplete or unavailable data. Iirc me of the other category entries had a footnote saying the £0 was a result of no data.

Clip

Established Member
Strange that c2c and TFL Rail also have it included in fuel costs when they are also all electric!
TfL still have the Goblin and im assuming they and C2C may have some diesel shunters around the depots too maybe?

hwl

Established Member
Yes, so it's strange that GTR, South Western & South Eastern don't include it their fuel bills when Merseyrail, c2c and TFL Rail do!
Because they pay NR for EC4T so it comes under the "NR and other" accounting line in the TOC data. Merseyrail C2C and TfL Rail have hauled traction electricity out of the out of the NR charges and put it in fuel instead (which will confuse HMRC and HMT as electricity is energy not fuel legally).

EC4T is also exempt from the environmental levy component that most other electricity users pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.