• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LSL announce Pacer railtour

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleeder4

After LSL bought that Pacer recently, I've been wondering when the first Pacer railtour would be, and here it is: https://inter-city.co.uk/journey/st-tudno-wanderer
Definitely not my thing, but I'm sure it will sell well amongst certain enthusiasts, particularly as it's quite reasonably priced. I would imagine a padded cushion and ear defenders are required accessories for all who book on it!

Departing From​

• Wilmslow,
  • Stockport,
  • Manchester Piccadilly,
  • Liverpool Lime Street
Class 142 ‘Pacer’ diesel multiple units were introduced by British Rail from 1985. Built by British Rail Engineering Limited at their Derby Litchurch Lane Works, a total of 96 were built. For the next 35 years these units worked extensively in the Northwest, North of England, Yorkshire & Northeast, Wales and Southwest England. By the end of 2020 all had been removed from mainline operation.
Since 2020 a number of these units have been bought by heritage railways. Locomotive Services Group has acquired two of these units (142003 & 142007) that will be returned to mainline operation. The first of these, 142003, will work The Saint Tudno Wanderer. Restored into Greater Manchester Passenger Transport Executive orange & brown livery, it would have been a familiar sight over the route we take.
The train starts from Wilmslow and runs via Manchester Piccadilly and over the Chat Moss route via Earlestown to Liverpool Lime Street. After a reversal here we cross the River Mersey to Runcorn and onward via the Halton Curve and Helsby to Chester, crossing the River Weaver enroute. From Chester we travel the North Wales Coast route through the holiday towns of Prestatyn, Rhyl and Colwyn Bay to arrive at our destination of Llandudno Town.
At Llandudno there will be a break of around 90 minutes to stretch your legs on the promenade and perhaps partake of the local fish & chips.
The return journey will retrace the outward route.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Iskra

Established Member
Good to see they’re using it and offering the tour at a reasonable price. It’s not something that interests me personally as I can’t think of anything worse than a sold-out pacer. They were alright when half empty but not definitely not something I’d enjoy being on for hours if every seat is taken. Hope it sells out though and those who book on have a great tour, so we can see more reasonably priced tours in the future.

Last edited:

xotGD

Established Member
To be fully authentic, the Pacer should be declared a failure, and a 37 on a set of Mark 1s drafted in as a substitute.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
After LSL bought that Pacer recently, I've been wondering when the first Pacer railtour would be, and here it is: https://inter-city.co.uk/journey/st-tudno-wanderer
Definitely not my thing, but I'm sure it will sell well amongst certain enthusiasts, particularly as it's quite reasonably priced. I would imagine a padded cushion and ear defenders are required accessories for all who book on it!
The link doesn't work for me; what are the details of the tour please?

Although with it being midweek, I suspect it's unattainable for me....

1693492470278.png

jfollows

Established Member
The link doesn't work for me; what are the details of the tour please?
See attached
Even though it starts from Wilmslow (07:45 Wednesday 27 September) I don't think I'll be bothering ....

Attachments

• st-tudno-wanderer.pdf
    4.3 MB · Views: 156

Turbo004

Sorry to disagree with childwallblues but 142's were regulars on Llandudno - Manchester services occasionally coupled to a Class 150 when first introduced. I forget where the Llandudno services used to go to back then. Services often changed and weren't quite as clockface as now. Certainly some North Wales services went to Stalybridge and Wakefield both of which were regular 142 services.

As for the Halton curve whilst the curve was one way Chester to Liverpool there was a once weekly Saturday morning Chester to Runcorn / Liverpool service. This service often had 142's on it and was operated by Northern so was a bit random. In addition I'm fairly sure there have been ECS moves by Northern since the line became two way again. I'm fairly sure though this will be the first Pacer Southbound service with passengers on over the Halton curve.

Back on topic I'm pleased a Pacer has been preserved for Railtours. If I hadn't got other plans I would go on it.

Kite159

Veteran Member
It's good to see a low cost railtour using a pacer, although I hope they will be sensible with selling tickets to make it something like 2+1 seating on the bench seats to be a bit more comfortable.

PacerTrain142

On Moderation
Have wondered if they ever would do a pacer Railtour. They did one way back in 2011 when First Great Western retired thier class 142’s. But the pacers were all withdrawn during the COVID/lockdown period so a railtour wouldn’t have been allowed. Pity.

Unfortunately the tour starts way too early for me (the starting places are very far away from where I am).

Krokodil

Established Member
No they did not. And I doubt that they ever worked west of Chester either.
To add to what @Turbo004 said, they even went up to Blaenau Ffestiniog but were promptly banned on noise abatement grounds. One was also sent into the siding that went behind the signal box at Llandudno (before the car park was built over disused platforms 4+5). It was barely on the rails so they were subsequently banned from there too.

Iskra

Established Member
It's good to see a low cost railtour using a pacer, although I hope they will be sensible with selling tickets to make it something like 2+1 seating on the bench seats to be a bit more comfortable.
Thinking about it, it’s good enough value that a passenger can buy two seats for the tour and just use one for a bit of extra room.

childwallblues

Established Member
Sorry to disagree with childwallblues but 142's were regulars on Llandudno - Manchester services occasionally coupled to a Class 150 when first introduced. I forget where the Llandudno services used to go to back then. Services often changed and weren't quite as clockface as now. Certainly some North Wales services went to Stalybridge and Wakefield both of which were regular 142 services.

As for the Halton curve whilst the curve was one way Chester to Liverpool there was a once weekly Saturday morning Chester to Runcorn / Liverpool service. This service often had 142's on it and was operated by Northern so was a bit random. In addition I'm fairly sure there have been ECS moves by Northern since the line became two way again. I'm fairly sure though this will be the first Pacer Southbound service with passengers on over the Halton curve.

Back on topic I'm pleased a Pacer has been preserved for Railtours. If I hadn't got other plans I would go on it.
Many thanks I stand corrected.

1Q18

I guess that depends on whether specific seat allocations are provided, or not.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I guess that depends on whether specific seat allocations are provided, or not.
I was wondering about the seating. Are they going to sell reserved seating on a 3+2 basis (sounds horrible), on a 2+1 basis (perfectly fine, the bench seating is quite comfy at that density) or unreserved seating on the basis of a maximum capacity of some sort?

1Q18

I was wondering about the seating. Are they going to sell reserved seating on a 3+2 basis (sounds horrible), on a 2+1 basis (perfectly fine, the bench seating is quite comfy at that density) or unreserved seating on the basis of a maximum capacity of some sort?
I’d be very surprised if they weren’t selling some way below the maximum seated capacity.

Howardh

Established Member
I’d be very surprised if they weren’t selling some way below the maximum seated capacity.
For the true pacer experience passengers would have to be shoe-horned into 3x2 seating! They could actually do with being more specific about seating and there isn't an option to see the seat-plan when booking. Certainly wouldn't pay for 3x2!! I suppose down the line they could install their own more comfy seating, and indeed have a first-class section of 2 x 1 which I'd be interested in!!

ls2270

Established Member
Have wondered if they ever would do a pacer Railtour. They did one way back in 2011 when First Great Western retired thier class 142’s. But the pacers were all withdrawn during the COVID/lockdown period so a railtour wouldn’t have been allowed. Pity.

Unfortunately the tour starts way too early for me (the starting places are very far away from where I am).
There was a farewell railtour from Cardiff Central for the Arriva Trains Wales/TfW Pacers organised by the Branch Line Society a few years back.

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
1693599082776.png
142003 is visible from trains from Crewe towards Shrewsbury)
Doesn't seem to have moved much, since the official photo on the link in #1 and me seeing it both this and the previous Friday it has been in the same spot.
Do they not need to train some staff on how to drive the Pacer or is that saved for closer to the tour?

Trackman

Established Member
Had a play about for a booking, apparently you book a guaranteed table for four.

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
Had a play about for a booking, apparently you book a guaranteed table for four.
1693602993542.png1693603005057.png1693603054273.png
Looks like it always shows "at a shared table of four". Even for 50 people! I'd assume that means 2+2? Although since they don't even have tables I'd assume it's just allocated bays?
I wonder how busy the train will be since it's at quite a bad day for most people.

Bikeman78

Established Member
No they did not. And I doubt that they ever worked west of Chester either. Should be a great tour with a bit of fast running over Chat Moss.
Would like to be aboard but away on holiday.
They routinely ran west of Chester during the time when the 175s were being introduced. I saw one at Llandudno Junction, for example.

LowLevel

Established Member
142s worked on the North Wales Coast until the route was transferred to Wales and Borders from First North Western in 2004 or thereabouts.

Trainguy34

Staying somewhere near Sheffield would be good for the previous night, the HST Farewell Tour to Swanage on the Tuesday then go to Manchester or Stockport for this on the Wednesday!

Status
Not open for further replies.