• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LSL announce Pacer railtour

Status
Not open for further replies.

12LDA28C

Established Member
Well they took their time. I’ve been waiting for these for weeks.

What happened to them needing 2 weeks notice of the exact timings?

Charter timings aren't always on RTT 2 weeks in advance of the tour or even a week. For example the timings for this morning's Steam Dreams tour out of Shoeburyness weren't even on RTT yesterday afternoon, 12 hours before departure.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John C

Managed to capture 142003 looking very smart as it passed Manchester Oxford Road. Looks like it’s going to get held up however at Chester due to an issue near Rhyl. Currently all coast bound TFW’s services are being held at Chester.

Established Member
Managed to capture 142003 looking very smart as it passed Manchester Oxford Road. Looks like it’s going to get held up however at Chester due to an issue near Rhyl. Currently all coast bound TFW’s services are being held at Chester.

I saw 142003 at Lime Street, shoved in the corner behind a pair of 156s and a Pendolino.

1D34 MIA - HHD left Chester 30 late at 11:20, so it shouldn’t be stuck too long, but the passengers won’t get long in Llandudno.

D6130

Established Member
Looks like it’s going to get held up however at Chester due to an issue near Rhyl. Currently all coast bound TFW’s services are being held at Chester.
I wonder whether the issue at Rhyl is weather-related? Storm Agnes is due to make landfall any time now.

RetroCrowe

Good video! I noticed that the rear car has acquired fairly bad wheel flats since the outward trip. Harsh braking in the rain perhaps?
I've just seen it fairly slowly limping past Frodsham and the wheel flat now seems to be even worse, could still be heard thumping along well over two minutes after it had passed. Certainly doesn't sound healthy, how fitting for a pacer's first railtour that it's already worse for wear

1Q18

Good video! I noticed that the rear car has acquired fairly bad wheel flats since the outward trip. Harsh braking in the rain perhaps?
It had a bit of a slide approaching Colwyn Bay on the outbound. Fitter passed it as fit to run while it was at Llandudno, but the flats have got louder and louder since then.

D6130

Established Member
It had a bit of a slide approaching Colwyn Bay on the outbound. Fitter passed it as fit to run while it was at Llandudno, but the flats have got louder and louder since then.
The problem is that once you get a sizeable wheel flat, every time you brake - especially in slippery conditions - the flat finds the railhead and slides even more, thus making it bigger with every stop. In my driving days we had an unofficial way of rounding-off smallish flats on tread-braked units....which was to make a step one brake application with power applied. Any higher brake application would cut-off the power on a 14x or 15x unit.

RetroCrowe

Even louder now passing Earlestown, sounds extremely unhealthy but seems like it's still ploughing through it, classic Pacer resilience

D6130

Established Member
Even louder now passing Earlestown, sounds extremely unhealthy but seems like it's still ploughing through it, classic Pacer resilience
Let's hope the tyre doesn't fall off before it gets back to Wilmslow (....or Crewe)! Another problem with a major flat like that is that it has the potential to cause serious rail head damage. If it passes through a Network Rail 'wheelchex' detector, it may well be stopped and have to shunt into a siding. In a worst case scenario, you could be looking at being towed back to depot at 20 mph (5 mph through points and crossings) on a wheel skate. I once had to drive a damaged 3 car 144 all the way back from Carnforth Down Siding to Neville Hill on a skate....seemed to take all day!

Krokodil

Established Member
It had a bit of a slide approaching Colwyn Bay on the outbound.
Colwyn Bay is certainly a slippy piece of line. I remember a train overshooting the station by some distance a few years ago. TfW's 197s will have fun as slippy season approaches, they're pretty light-footed.

richa2002

Established Member
Does anyone know if the unit has a retro interior or is it still Northern?

L401CJF

Established Member
A mate of mine sent a photo, it's been reupholstered into the original moquette.

As I don't know who took the photo I best not upload it to avoid getting a telling off!

EDIT- Just been beaten by @7522 !

12C

A mate of mine sent a photo, it's been reupholstered into the original moquette.

As I don't know who took the photo I best not upload it to avoid getting a telling off!

EDIT- Just been beaten by @7522 !
Looks excellent, the only thing missing is the orange end panels for total authenticity!

8A Rail

Established Member
May be they could put those seats in a Class 777, they be much better than those fitted and that is saying something! :lol:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
That photo brings back memories!

Related question:- the 144s as built had a similar moquette, but with orange in place of the blue. Did any of the 142s have the orange version or was this solely a West Yorkshire thing? I think the few 141s that had their seats reupholstered also had the orange version.

Vespa

Established Member
Remembered riding one from Liverpool to Blackpool, my backside was numb by the time I arrived.

12LDA28C

Established Member

You don't need to apply the brake 'harshly' to encounter wheel slide. It can happen in any brake step.

LowLevel

Established Member
Let's hope the tyre doesn't fall off before it gets back to Wilmslow (....or Crewe)! Another problem with a major flat like that is that it has the potential to cause serious rail head damage. If it passes through a Network Rail 'wheelchex' detector, it may well be stopped and have to shunt into a siding. In a worst case scenario, you could be looking at being towed back to depot at 20 mph (5 mph through points and crossings) on a wheel skate. I once had to drive a damaged 3 car 144 all the way back from Carnforth Down Siding to Neville Hill on a skate....seemed to take all day!
It set off the Wheelchex at Heaton Chapel and was restricted to 50 mph thereafter.

jfollows

Established Member
How does the information get passed to the driver from the Wheelchex?
From http://www.scot-rail.co.uk/page/WheelChex:
WheelChex is a brand name for a Wheel Impact Load Detector (WILD) system used by Network Rail.

This line-side equipment measures the impact upon the railhead of each wheel of a passing train (eg, if it has a wheel flat), and provides details of all trains with wheel loads outside acceptable limits.

When an alarm message is generated by WheelChex, Network Rail Operations Control will identify the train involved and notify the signaller at the centre through which the train will shortly pass.

This will enable the train to be stopped at a suitable location for the driver to examine the wheel-sets concerned.

The train can then be taken out of service, or speed restricted to minimse the possibility of derailments or damage to track caused by wheel defects or overloaded vehicles.

The WheelChex at Braidwood made the news on 29th September 2004 when an alarm was generated by 390041 working the first relaunched "Royal Scot" Glasgow - London Euston at the launch of Virgin West Coast's accelerated timetable. The train was terminated early at Carlisle.

Status
Not open for further replies.