• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LSL running (and WCR try to run) mainline 'extras' this week on behalf of Avanti West Coast

Status
Not open for further replies.

thedbdiboy

Were the loud brake noises on the Mk2s present when new? Or is it just getting old and is out of calibration?

I'm unfamiliar with the brake system on the Mk2s, but on my bicycle, if I feel that the brakes are pulsing and making rubbing or squealing noises, it means it's time to get my Allen keys out - the brake calipers are misaligned.

On the LSL Mk3, yeah, on some of the carriages, there were strong brake block smells. But on other carriages, there was nothing. So I guess it varies between carriages.

But on the WCRC Mk2s, the loud brake noises were quite consistent - most (if not all) carriages were making the brake noises.

Brake noise is totally normal on tread braked vehicles. All of them do it to some extent.
Oh yes, the Mk2 braking noise was a classic; as was the Mk3 brake block smell. It was great to have these effects recreated :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JModulo

Were the loud brake noises on the Mk2s present when new? Or is it just getting old and is out of calibration?

I'm unfamiliar with the brake system on the Mk2s, but on my bicycle, if I feel that the brakes are pulsing and making rubbing or squealing noises, it means it's time to get my Allen keys out - the brake calipers are misaligned.

On the LSL Mk3, yeah, on some of the carriages, there were strong brake block smells. But on other carriages, there was nothing. So I guess it varies between carriages.

But on the WCRC Mk2s, the loud brake noises were quite consistent - most (if not all) carriages were making the brake noises.
Mk2s are brake blocks, directly onto the wheel. Mk3s are brake pads, onto a brake disc. Mk2s will always give this characteristic sound, as will any tread braked vehicle.

boiledbeans2

Brake noise is totally normal on tread braked vehicles. All of them do it to some extent.

Mk2s are brake blocks, directly onto the wheel. Mk3s are brake pads, onto a brake disc. Mk2s will always give this characteristic sound, as will any tread braked vehicle.

Many thanks for the explanation. Are there any other trains in regular service today with tread brakes?

Oh yes, the Mk2 braking noise was a classic; as was the Mk3 brake block smell. It was great to have these effects recreated :D
I believe a lot of modern trains still can create the braking smell, especially if they didn't use regen.

I was at Milton Keynes waiting for a train recently, and a Pendo which had just arrived at the platform had that familar brake smell (I was outside the train).

Another time I was on an SWR 455 which was giving the same smell. I ride the SWR 455s regularly and it's rare to smell it.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
If you're interested I did this compilation video of my half-hour on the WCML on Monday (it's alright, it only lasts three minutes).
19Sep22. Lichfield Trent Valley. Nuneaton. BR Class 86 86401 90002 82139 (Ex E3199). [BR_electrics_WCML.mp4] by Ray Honke, on Flickr
I noticed the WCR train did not have a DVT and was not top & tailed. I assume Euston doesn't have points near the buffers to allow a loco to run-round, since the Caly sleepers use a second loco to haul the train into the platform. So, what hauled the WCR train back out?

ABB125

Established Member
I noticed the WCR train did not have a DVT and was not top & tailed. I assume Euston doesn't have points near the buffers to allow a loco to run-round, since the Caly sleepers use a second loco to haul the train into the platform. So, what hauled the WCR train back out?
A second class 86 was used. On Monday, what happened was 86401 hauled the train to London, arriving in platform 16. 86259, stabled at the end of the siding between p16 and p15 then went on the back, and hauled the train out (presumably to around Willesden). Some shunting then went on so that 86401 was in the right position to haul the train north, because 86259 was going to be dropped off at Rugby, but I think in the days before it was simply whichever class 86 took the train to London was left there overnight.

Lloyds siding

I've monitored noise from the WCML and can confirm that the tread blocked vehicles are the noisiest other than the locomotives. The old Caledonian sleeper was the noisiest of the passenger trains, and it was possible to identify the Mk IIs from the Mk IIIs just by the louder (and distinctive) brake noise.
I remain impressed by the smooth and quiet speed of the 390s.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Class 700s…

Only on the power cars I think? I was quite surprised when I saw it!

They seem a lot quieter on more recent stock, though on the Mk1s and Mk2s (and things like Bm* RIC coaches in Germany) they used to make a right racket. On 150s you can hear them but not loudly. I guess damping is better.

* Compartment second.

boiledbeans2

Class 150/153/155/156 DMUs have tread brakes, can’t think of any others off the top of my head.
Thanks for the info. Next time I'm on them, I'll take notice of the braking sound.

Although when I last rode them, they were not obvious. Perhaps the diesel engine masks the braking sound.

Edit: Do SWR 455s have them as well? Considering they are the electric version of the 150s and built in the same era.

Status
Not open for further replies.