• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LU Night Tube Train Operator - Part Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

slidingdoors

I did the AC1 yesterday. Reckon the answers I was giving were largely correct. I was shocked at the time limits though.. Or I should say the time really flies by under the test conditions. Don't think I got through enough questions to progress.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tron81

Nah! Still waiting and dreaming Tron. One thing that came to mind was duty start and end points. With these NT duties being part of a 24 hour service, do all duties start and end at a station? I was wondering if the Operators ever get to see a depot.

Edited to say that I have just received this email:

"Dear Colin,

Thank you for your recent application and for taking the online Situational Judgement test for the position of Train Operator Night Tube – 022816.

As noted in our previous correspondence, you performed highly in the online test, but unfortunately did not meet the current benchmark to progress to the next stage of the recruitment process. We are in the process of assessing those candidates who did progress, and we anticipate completing this activity by the end of July. At this point we will be better placed to advise you of the length of time we propose holding your application.

You do not need to do anything at this stage, and you do not need to contact us, we will simply keep you on our waitlist and update you again by mid August."

The wait goes on, but at least I can go on holiday in July and not be worrying that I might miss the email.

How about you Tron?

Got the same email....another 2 months waiting for a SJT result

PudseyBearHST

Nah! Still waiting and dreaming Tron. One thing that came to mind was duty start and end points. With these NT duties being part of a 24 hour service, do all duties start and end at a station? I was wondering if the Operators ever get to see a depot.

Edited to say that I have just received this email:

"Dear Colin,

Thank you for your recent application and for taking the online Situational Judgement test for the position of Train Operator Night Tube – 022816.

As noted in our previous correspondence, you performed highly in the online test, but unfortunately did not meet the current benchmark to progress to the next stage of the recruitment process. We are in the process of assessing those candidates who did progress, and we anticipate completing this activity by the end of July. At this point we will be better placed to advise you of the length of time we propose holding your application.

You do not need to do anything at this stage, and you do not need to contact us, we will simply keep you on our waitlist and update you again by mid August."

The wait goes on, but at least I can go on holiday in July and not be worrying that I might miss the email.

How about you Tron?

I got it too:) How many vacancies do you think they still have?

Lrd

Established Member
Lrd your knowledge has been invaluable throughout this recruitment process, do you reckon you could give us more of an insight into your typical duty? A day (night) in the life if you will!
No problem, I'll get something written up and post it soon...

Lrd

Established Member
Hey all, so I posted on here a little while ago that I was successful after AC2. I now have a start date for September!

Just a question, a week before I have to go for uniform fitting, will I need to take a bag to take all the uniform home on that day, or will it be available at another time? Thanks in advance if anyone knows.
You have to take it that day.

Mattyblob

Thank you Lrd that's a really good insight to what happens through the night. Are there opportunities to drive in coded manual in night tube hours?

Also I had my uniform fitting this week, the lady said they're struggling to provide uniform immediately due to the huge recruitment drive so we actually only got our hi-vi's on the day. Apparently footwear is currently dealt with at Ashfield House when you start training too.

Meeseeks

It's great to see so many people helping with support. For those of you yet to do AC1 I can give you a big tip to help with one of the tests.

When you get to the Error Identification Test instead of working out the problem the suggested way. Work backwards starting from the right to the left. It will help as most of the time the incorrect "button" is one of the last ones. It also helps with eliminating the incorrect "button" as you know there is only one faulty button. It's not cheating it's just more efficient way of looking at the problem.

I hope that helps with those of you with AC1 coming up.

annap300

Wow, thanks for a nice insight there. I knew going in to it that the job was never going to be easy. Just a few questions which, if you're able to answer, I would be grateful. What is the pay rate during the 16 weeks training? Also, am I right in saying that you get week 9 of training as annual leave?
Thank you Lrd.

Not sure about the pay rate. I think it is around 34k?
Yes you get week 9 as holiday. Make sure you do something nice during that time. You will need it. :)

Jetlagged

My thanks also to Lrd for that useful look at a typical day. This just makes me want it even more! Damn this waiting.

I recall that earlier in the thread the question was asked why Piccadilly line training took longer than other lines. The answer was, as mentioned by annap300, that the Piccadilly is manually driven. But, as all lines have an element of manual driving, surely all operators require that knowledge.

What am I missing?

axlecounter

When I'm at the front, I've obviously got to drive (although the Central line is ATO) and open and close the doors but I've also got to use the PA to give information and warnings to passengers, talk to the controller/signaller if necessary, monitor the train computer for any defects and keep alert to everything that is going on and also to stay awake which can be quite tough.

What does driving on an ATO line imply exactly?

Lrd

Established Member
That's a long shift to be starting at that time.
All Night Tube duties are 8 and a half hours long (the maximum) which includes 30 mins unpaid meal relief.
Are there opportunities to drive in coded manual in night tube hours?
On the Central we do coded manual from 2am Sunday morning in the open sections and all depot/siding work is manual so there is a fair bit of manual driving.

What is the pay rate during the 16 weeks training?
It's CSA rate, approx £30k. But if you go over the 16 weeks (or less for other lines) then it's full time driver salary at £52k until you pass your road test.

Also, am I right in saying that you get week 9 of training as annual leave?
It was week 9 (of 12) for me but that may have changed this year but you will get one week off.

I recall that earlier in the thread the question was asked why Piccadilly line training took longer than other lines. The answer was, as mentioned by annap300, that the Piccadilly is manually driven. But, as all lines have an element of manual driving, surely all operators require that knowledge.

What am I missing?
Every Train Operator has to be able to drive manually but to drive on the ATO lines is easier than driving on the Picc (and other manual lines). The Picc has hundreds of signals, along with trainstops and you need to know the speed limits by memory. On the ATO lines we have in cab signalling, so you are driving to what the computer tells you to drive. And that includes the max speed for the section you're in. There are also less lineside signals (none at all on the Northern line) for you to be aware of.

What does driving on an ATO line imply exactly?
Most of the time the train drives itself, the basics are the driver opens/closes the doors and press the start buttons and the train drives itself to the next station and stops. For manual driving on an ATO line check the brief info above.

Jetlagged

Every Train Operator has to be able to drive manually but to drive on the ATO lines is easier than driving on the Picc (and other manual lines). The Picc has hundreds of signals, along with trainstops and you need to know the speed limits by memory. On the ATO lines we have in cab signalling, so you are driving to what the computer tells you to drive. And that includes the max speed for the section you're in. There are also less lineside signals (none at all on the Northern line) for you to be aware of.

Thanks Lrd. Now I understand.

successboy17

It's great to see so many people helping with support. For those of you yet to do AC1 I can give you a big tip to help with one of the tests.

When you get to the Error Identification Test instead of working out the problem the suggested way. Work backwards starting from the right to the left. It will help as most of the time the incorrect "button" is one of the last ones. It also helps with eliminating the incorrect "button" as you know there is only one faulty button. It's not cheating it's just more efficient way of looking at the problem.

I hope that helps with those of you with AC1 coming up.

Hi thanks for the advice. Very helpful. But how many minutes given for this test ?

Meeseeks

Hi thanks for the advice. Very helpful. But how many minutes given for this test ?

Hey you get 19 minutes but honestly there are like 2 of them that require maybe a minute each to double check but rest can be done within 10-15 seconds its really easy when you know how.

The following & understanding information tests are the harder ones where you really need to concentrate. You get 12 minutes for following information. 22 minutes for understanding.

The SCAAT test is more important you get it right than get more done. So when doing it make sure you actually check each line as you will get marked on missing things. The whole point of this test is to make sure you can spot details. 21 minutes for this test. It's broken down into 3 segments each with 3 blocks. If you reach the bottom of a block you clearly haven't done the test right its not designed to be finished.

Good luck to all who've applied. My understanding is there are quite a few vacancies as a lot have left or moved to FT and so TFL are recruiting heavily for this campaign.

I also believe within the next year more lines or extensions to current lines will happen so they will need more drivers ready to cover it.

successboy17

Hey you get 19 minutes but honestly there are like 2 of them that require maybe a minute each to double check but rest can be done within 10-15 seconds its really easy when you know how.

The following & understanding information tests are the harder ones where you really need to concentrate. You get 12 minutes for following information. 22 minutes for understanding.

The SCAAT test is more important you get it right than get more done. So when doing it make sure you actually check each line as you will get marked on missing things. The whole point of this test is to make sure you can spot details. 21 minutes for this test. It's broken down into 3 segments each with 3 blocks. If you reach the bottom of a block you clearly haven't done the test right its not designed to be finished.

Good luck to all who've applied. My understanding is there are quite a few vacancies as a lot have left or moved to FT and so TFL are recruiting heavily for this campaign.

I also believe within the next year more lines or extensions to current lines will happen so they will need more drivers ready to cover it.

Wow! Thanks for the precise and concise tips. I really appreciate. I wish you all the best for the next step in your career and also good luck to everyone at any stage with TfL.

up1989

Heres a typical duty on the northern.

Book on at Morden read all wall posts and check pidgin hole 7 mins to do that.

Pick up first train drive to edgware via bank
Change ends 12 mins to do so
Drive to Golders green step back for 20 mins
Pick up train on the north & drive back to edgware.
Dump the train in the sidings
Have meal relief 30 mins
Get another train out of sidings
Drive to Morden via Charing X
Change ends at Morden given 8 mins to do that
Drive to high barnet via charing cross
Change ends at Barnet given 8 mins to do so
Drive back to Morden
Finish.

We don't have wayside signals on the running line, but each depot and sidings have their own signalling ranging from hand lamp to shunt signals. Since I've been there 3 people have had a spad in depots, which is a pretty serious thing.

We can drive in manual when ever we like on night tube as long as you don't lose time or over shoot or speed violate. Personally I tend to drive around 4am when you feel the most tired as it perks you up. Most dutys take you into depots or sidings with a couple making you go into depot 3 times in one shift, I prefer that as the walking in the night air wakes you up!!

I hope this is helpful.

baz962

Established Member
Hi meeseeks I am currently in the middle of assessments for gtr passed to enhanced level the group bourdon (dots) trp 1 and 2 and the tea occ as well as a dfft . I have the sjt and mmi plus wafv and atavt and two hand joystick thingy in 2 weeks. I have been looking at night tube as I would love to do it plus more time to do extra work to bolster salary until able to go full time I am sure I registered and set up alerts for vacancies but nothing has come up am I missing these vacancies or am I looking in wrong place etc any help would be appreciated

Tron81

Hi meeseeks I am currently in the middle of assessments for gtr passed to enhanced level the group bourdon (dots) trp 1 and 2 and the tea occ as well as a dfft . I have the sjt and mmi plus wafv and atavt and two hand joystick thingy in 2 weeks. I have been looking at night tube as I would love to do it plus more time to do extra work to bolster salary until able to go full time I am sure I registered and set up alerts for vacancies but nothing has come up am I missing these vacancies or am I looking in wrong place etc any help would be appreciated

Where was you looking? This vacancy came up I believe in march.

Lrd

Established Member
For us shifts start as early as 9 and as late as 2359 and finish anywhere from 5 to 830
Our earliest is 2147 through to 2359 and finish 0617 through to 0829.

Friday night/Saturday morning we tend to finish earlier 0630/0700 ish and Sat night/sun morning we tend to finish later 0800/0829.

Jambo86

Hate to put a downer on it, but can tell you that only one current NT driver (across all the lines) is in line for full time at the moment. It'll be a long time yet before all the current drivers who want FT will get it.

Last edited:

Lrd

Established Member
Hate to put a downer on it, but can tell you that only one current NT driver (across all the lines) is in line for full time at the moment. It'll be a long time yet before all the current drivers who want FT will get it.
Are you sure? Two from the Central have already gone with one more next week. And a lot have already been told what depot they're going to with a very rough time frame... If you want an East end depot then you'll be waiting a while! (5 years minimum for some)

I've heard that they are currently recruiting approx 150 part time drivers...

Lrd

Established Member
The only extension currently being thought about at the moment is out to West Ruislip and there are murmers of that being next March/May time.

The next line to potentially be joining is the Circle line (so all mainline terminals have a service) and that won't be until after the upgrade program due to be completed by 2019.

Status
Not open for further replies.