• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Luggage for a peak journey in Greater Manchester

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeeGee

I'm making a journey this Friday, and need to decide how to carry my luggage!

I'm looking at taking the 17:47 from Manchester Victoria to Atherton, or perhaps a later train on the same route.

How busy is it likely to be? I'll have a decent-sized bag, but I'm not averse to waiting until the traffic dies down a bit before carrying on with the journey.

(In which case, if I do decide to wait, and seeing as how it's dinner-time, any suggestions for somewhere to eat?)

Also, how do I get from Piccadilly to Victoria? The best itinerary that I have from NRE has "TRANSFER" for the bit between Piccadilly and Victoria.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lddex

Some of my mates use to catch that train from work. It can be busy and rammed as its a commuter train.

As for eating... Depends what you are after. There are loads of pubs and places 5 minutes from Victoria.

In terms of getting there, you can use your train ticket to travel on the Metrolink (As your ticket cause you to arrive at one station and leave from another) I think Victoria is back up and running now (they have been updating the station) If its not, the there isa free shuttle service bus outside Piccadilly.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Also, how do I get from Piccadilly to Victoria? The best itinerary that I have from NRE has "TRANSFER" for the bit between Piccadilly and Victoria.
Your options are: tram, free bus (if it still runs?), walk, taxi or take a train from Manchester Piccadilly to Salford Crescent and change there.

Changing at Salford Crescent is the easiest option however I would not recommend it at the time you are travelling, because it means you may struggle to board the train, let alone get a seat!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
...you can use your train ticket to travel on the Metrolink ...
Unless you know more information than is posted in the thread, we can't say if the ticket will include travel on the tram, as it depends on the origin.

If it was a ticket from Stockport, it would include the tram. A ticket from Grimsby would not.

DeeGee

Unless you know more information than is posted in the thread, we can't say if the ticket will include travel on the tram, as it depends on the origin.

If it was a ticket from Stockport, it would include the tram. A ticket from Grimsby would not.

Grimsby Town to Walkden, Off-Peak Return

telstarbox

Established Member
I'm making a journey this Friday, and need to decide how to carry my luggage!

(In which case, if I do decide to wait, and seeing as how it's dinner-time, any suggestions for somewhere to eat?)

Home Sweet Home on Edge Street or Tampopo on Exchange Square, or various places inside the Arndale Centre which is on the walking route.

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
In terms of getting there, you can use your train ticket to travel on the Metrolink

Not unless it is specifically routed to allow that, AIUI, which will only ever be the case for tickets for journeys entirely within Greater Manchester.

Such tickets have Route "METROLINK CTLZ" - here is one such example:
http://www.brfares.com/#!fares?orig=EDY&dest=RCD

Neil

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
If I had no luggage and it wasn't raining (this is Manchester, though!) I'd walk, it's only about 15 mins I reckon. If it was raining or I had luggage, I'd just cough up the tram fare, it's not that expensive when compared with a ticket to/from outside the PTE boundary.

Neil

Starmill

Veteran Member
If I had no luggage and it wasn't raining (this is Manchester, though!) I'd walk, it's only about 15 mins I reckon. If it was raining or I had luggage, I'd just cough up the tram fare, it's not that expensive when compared with a ticket to/from outside the PTE boundary.

Neil

For the benefit of anyone reading it is £1.20 for a City Zone - City Zone single, buy a ticket from the yellow Metrolink ticket machine before boarding :)

Status
Not open for further replies.