• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lynton & Lynmouth Cliff Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
I will be doing a lot of trips to Devon in July, and one day my plan is to get a 309/310 bus from Barnstaple to Lynton. I have 30 minutes until my next bus, which is the Exmoor Coaster towards Ilfracombe.

During my 30 minutes in Lynton, I would like to ride the Lynton & Lynmouth Cliff Railway. My question is, does anyone happen to have a timetable of the line, and roughly how frequent the funicular is? Journey times appear to be around 2 minutes, and I will be in Lynton roughly between 13:45 and 14:15

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I will be doing a lot of trips to Devon in July, and one day my plan is to get a 309/310 bus from Barnstaple to Lynton. I have 30 minutes until my next bus, which is the Exmoor Coaster towards Ilfracombe.

During my 30 minutes in Lynton, I would like to ride the Lynton & Lynmouth Cliff Railway. My question is, does anyone happen to have a timetable of the line, and roughly how frequent the funicular is? Journey times appear to be around 2 minutes, and I will be in Lynton roughly between 13:45 and 14:15

Pretty sure it runs constantly all day from what I remember.
The fact that it’s powered by free water helps of course.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Pretty sure it runs constantly all day from what I remember.
The fact that it’s powered by free water helps of course.

So would you say something like every 5-10 minutes, so basically as frequent as the London Underground?

Russel

Exmoor Coaster goes to Minehead not Ilfracombe.

You'll need to head back into Barnstaple and get a bus from there to Ilfracombe.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Exmoor Coaster goes to Minehead not Ilfracombe.

You'll need to head back into Barnstaple and get a bus from there to Ilfracombe.

It will be extended to Ilfracombe this summer, replacing what used to be the Sunseeker last year

Snow1964

Established Member
So would you say something like every 5-10 minutes, so basically as frequent as the London Underground?

When I was last there was about every 7 minutes, but if lots of people, was a bell to advise other car, and would go more frequently.

Might be less frequently out of season, but never been there then

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Every 7 minutes is certainly good, but probably a bit risky within my limited time here in Lynton

Russel

Just thinking back to when I used the cliff railway, there was actually quite a queue both ways to use it so half an hour wouldn't be enough.

Unless you're going out of peak season.

87electric

Just thinking back to when I used the cliff railway, there was actually quite a queue both ways to use it so half an hour wouldn't be enough.

Unless you're going out of peak season.
Agreed. If you miss the first loading at the bottom then 30 minutes is going to be really tight.

Status
Not open for further replies.