• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Making better use of First Class accommodation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

markskoda

On many Wolverhampton to Euston services via Birmingham First Class accommodation is often very nearly empty even at peak times. Better use of the spare seating would result in less overcrowding in Second Class. Perhaps a "First Premium" service including meals and steward/ess service for those who really want that level of service could be offered in one carriage on each train with other First Class accommodation given over to season ticket holders who meet certain levels of expenditure. It would be a reward for their spending on Britain's expensive railway system and go some way to addressing the question of lack of seating capacity in the rather claustrophobic Second Class carriages.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class 92

But then people will start complaining they cant get a seat in first class.

Veteran Member
Replacing one first with standard is in Virgin's plans.
If anyone is to get an upgrade it should be full fare pax not commuters who travel at a substantial discount.
Intercity EC or GNER did something like this for a few years, but in standard class seating, cant remember what it was called. Silver Standard?

OLJR

If 1ST is truly under-utilised and STD is overcrowded then I could see the case for pricing and revenue management actions by the operator. These could include:

i) for trains that are forecast to be busy, reduce 1ST fares at specific points in the booking cycle when STD passengers are booking but 1ST passengers are not - the upsells could be extremely small, perhaps even GBP 5.00 or less, provided that they do not cannibalise revenue from existing 1ST passengers

ii) for trains that are forecast to be busy in STD but not 1ST, keep the 1ST carriage but reclassify the seating as STD in the booking system from the time that booking opens so that the 1ST capacity is used as STD - in the mean time, block 1ST passengers from making reservations in that carriage.

Intercity EC or GNER did something like this for a few years, but in standard class seating, cant remember what it was called. Silver Standard?

I seem to remember that it was called Standard Plus and it gave some extra catering. One time when I was only 18 I sat in there by mistake when travelling out of King's Cross and needed to move to another carriage when the guard came to check the tickets! :D

fowler9

Established Member
If First Great Western are already getting rid of first class carraiges and Virgin are looking at doing so doesn't this finally put to bed the bobbins that the couple of people running up and down in first class for most of the day on advance tickets are subsidising peoples cheap standard class tickets.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
If anyone is to get an upgrade it should be full fare pax not commuters who travel at a substantial discount.

Silver Standard was a BR-era thing which I think operated on several routes. A coach was set aside for full-fare Standard ticket holders, and there must have been some freebies to add value but I can't remember what.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator

... for nine-car 390/0s only, not the eleven-car 390/1 sets.

i) for trains that are forecast to be busy, reduce 1ST fares at specific points in the booking cycle when STD passengers are booking but 1ST passengers are not - the upsells could be extremely small, perhaps even GBP 5.00 or less, provided that they do not cannibalise revenue from existing 1ST passengers

Advance First fares? Already if Standard is popular and First not, on many trains if you look at fares for both classes, you will notice First Class fares being the cheaper ones.

I don't agree that walk-on fares should fluctuate.

ii) for trains that are forecast to be busy in STD but not 1ST, keep the 1ST carriage but reclassify the seating as STD in the booking system from the time that booking opens so that the 1ST capacity is used as STD - in the mean time, block 1ST passengers from making reservations in that carriage.

What about people who are already reserved in that coach?

I don't see why the system needs changing. At the moment, if Standard truly were overcrowded, onboard staff would have the power to declassify First Class carriages, and IME Virgin staff are pretty good at that.

fowler9

Established Member
... for nine-car 390/0s only, not the eleven-car 390/1 sets.

Advance First fares? Already if Standard is popular and First not, on many trains if you look at fares for both classes, you will notice First Class fares being the cheaper ones.

I don't agree that walk-on fares should fluctuate.

What about people who are already reserved in that coach?

I don't see why the system needs changing. At the moment, if Standard truly were overcrowded, onboard staff would have the power to declassify First Class carriages, and IME Virgin staff are pretty good at that.

From what I've seen it has to be proper heath and safety overcrowded before a train manager will declassify at the moment.

Starmill

Veteran Member
From my experience, even the 0700 MAN - EUS has a relatively low 1ST occupancy. The pricing is the answer... More cheap Advance 1st would help fill the seats a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.