• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Malaysia Airlines MH370 10 years on

JD2168

It is now 10 years since the disappearance of Malaysia Airlines MH370 whilst on a routine flight from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing. Are we any closer to finding out where the plane ended up & what caused the incident to happen.

This would finally make the families of the passengers on board have some closure.

Ten years ago, on 8 March 2014, Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 took off from Kuala Lumpur en route to Beijing with 239 people aboard – and was never seen again. One decade later, the fate of the plane remains unsolved, and its tragic disappearance has become one of aviation's biggest and most captivating mysteries since Amelia Earhart's plane disappeared.

In the aftermath of MH370's disappearance, a massive search ensued that continued for four years and cost millions of dollars....

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

edwin_m

Veteran Member
This video puts together a pretty convincing sequence of events pointing to an intentional act.

This one is basically the same story but with more speculation about who did what.

Both point to recent analysis that suggests the crash site might be slightly outside previous search areas.

GatwickDepress

Established Member
The BBC released a one hour documentary on iPlayer titled Why Planes Vanish: The Hunt for MH370 which provides a fairly good overview of the disaster and what people are still doing to try and locate the aeroplane without the sensationalised nature of some other television channels, although if you're familiar with MH370 it likely won't add much for you.

Richard Godfrey, the main proponent of the Weak Signal Propagation Reporter (WSPR) theory has been joined by a University of Liverpool professor who seek to explore this further with all the resources and expertise that a university might provide.

Bantamzen

Established Member
It is now 10 years since the disappearance of Malaysia Airlines MH370 whilst on a routine flight from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing. Are we any closer to finding out where the plane ended up & what caused the incident to happen.

This would finally make the families of the passengers on board have some closure.
The Malaysian government have previously indicated that should new evidence come up to offer a possible new search area that they would consider funding further searches. The recent work done with radio signal interruptions that might point to a more precise locations might just be enough to spark a new one. However winter is approaching in the southern Indian Ocean, so it may be a while yet before anything could go ahead.

EZJ

Having watched nearly everything that has been made about MH370 I am 100% that this was a deliberate act by the captain, the Green Dot Aviation channel on YouTube made an excellent video which in my opinion is fairly close to the actual events. Why did the Captain do this I don't think we'll ever really know, but I think with some of the new tracking information we may not be far off actually locating the wreckage.

westv

Established Member
It's not the first time a person responsible for the lives of their passengers has decided to include them in a suicide. Absolutely awful and selfish beyond words.

dgl

Established Member
Yes, as long as the cases haven't ruptured and leaked, the data will still be recoverable.
Personally I doubt they would have survived, water is very good at wicking it's way into things no matter how well sealed and sea water can do a lot of damage once it gets somewhere. Plus if it's deep in the ocean you've got high pressure to deal with as well.
Wouldn't be surprised if the black box is (inside at least) more of a green box!

Strathclyder

Established Member
It's not the first time a person responsible for the lives of their passengers has decided to include them in a suicide. Absolutely awful and selfish beyond words.
Germanwings 9525 being a more recent and utterly horrific case of this in aviation. Even thinking about that one puts sharp chills up my back.

EZJ

Germanwings 9525 being a more recent and utterly horrific case of this in aviation. Even thinking about that one puts sharp chills up my back.
Indeed, the pilot Andreas Lubitz had been declared unfit for work due to serious mental health issues though it appears this was withheld from his employers. A very sad affair reminiscent of Japan Airlines flight 350 where another pilot suffering from mental health issues deliberately crashed his plane into a the water short of the runway.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Slightly different, there was also the recent incident where an off-duty pilot in the jump seat tried to shut down both engines on Alaska Airlines while under the influence of magic mushrooms.