• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Malta ex pat

Status
Not open for further replies.

delt1c

Established Member
I am member of Malta railway , this article has been published regarding the Malta railway dated 1933. Now the photo is definitely not one of the Malta railway locos. Looks British to me possibly LMS straight boiler. Can anyone identify it.

Attachments

• DF3D985D-332B-486B-9BC8-D79795F26060.jpeg
    DF3D985D-332B-486B-9BC8-D79795F26060.jpeg
    89.7 KB · Views: 107
  • 29DC07A3-188A-474B-A076-AC4F3662ED88.jpeg
    29DC07A3-188A-474B-A076-AC4F3662ED88.jpeg
    264.6 KB · Views: 106
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Isn't the image simply a 'filler block' at the end of the article. [A more elegant printing term may be available.]

From the 'signature' in the top left I wondered if it is an abstract artist's impression of no particular locomotive.

Gloster

Established Member
Agreed. It is just an illustration to avoid leaving an empty white space at the end of the article: you don’t want to make it too obvious that you are eking out copy. If there are no relevant illustrations available, then any odd bit will do.

6Gman

Established Member
Isn't the image simply a 'filler block' at the end of the article. [A more elegant printing term may be available.]

From the 'signature' in the top left I wondered if it is an abstract artist's impression of no particular locomotive.
It looks like a pub sign painter's version of a picture he's half seen. The chimney arrangement certainly seems odd - there was, I think, a Patriot (45508 ?) that had a stovepipe chimney at one time which may have been an influence.

Gloster

Established Member
I would think that in those days, when it cost (relatively) quite a bit to put photos on the page, most magazines would have a stock of line drawings that could be shoved in to fill up blank space: large areas of white do not look good. As it was a British magazine, the drawings would have been of British prototypes. Probably done cheaply by a jobbing artist, accuracy and detail wasn’t to be bothered about, “It’s only a filler.” Even among a hobby with plenty of rivet-counters, few are going to write to the editor complaining that the drawing isn’t accurate.

Veteran Member
It looks like a pub sign painter's version of a picture he's half seen. The chimney arrangement certainly seems odd - there was, I think, a Patriot (45508 ?) that had a stovepipe chimney at one time which may have been an influence.
The chimney definitely has a conventional lip (is that the word?), but what puzzles me is the headlamp - it doesn't match the one fitted to 6100 for its North American tour.
The style is reminiscent of pre-war railway posters, book covers etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.