• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Man rescued from coal train

Status
Not open for further replies.
From BBC news:
A drunken man who climbed into a train wagon heading to Immingham docks to be loaded with coal has been rescued after a passerby heard his cries for help.

Full story here

Is it a British thing to get drunk and put ourselves in danger like this, or does it just seem that way.

I seem to read something like this every couple of weeks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jolly good to see that nobody was hurt. Also jolly good to see that nobody is trying to prosecute the freight company for something that's not their fault, and instead are prosecuting the tw@t who climbed into the wagon!

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
What a total and utter prat, if the coal had been loaded while this bloke was in it, think of the mess, time and operation to retrive the body, the paperwork and RAIB report and court trials and compensation. Good job somebody found him before it was too late, a very well deserved arrest he has earned himself there

455driver

Veteran Member
good to see that nobody is trying to prosecute the freight company for something that's not their fault

Give it time and when the idiot sobers up I am sure he will be on to the no win/no fee leeches to see what he can get!

dstrat

Brilliant.

But seriously railforums; this isn't the daily mail comments section - if a grown, sane (within reason) adult climbs into a wagon that may have a few tonnes of rocks dropped into it - his problem! (legally, not saying they 'deserve' it). Surely?

aylesbury

Interesting report,but what lousy english in the report,train wagon.I wonder if the BBC actualy check that their staff can spell or know that it is a railway train with wagons.Local newspapers ,local radio,tv all are now the home of bad english and uneducated reporters ,god help us!!!1

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Interesting report,but what lousy english in the report,train wagon.I wonder if the BBC actualy check that their staff can spell or know that it is a railway train with wagons.Local newspapers ,local radio,tv all are now the home of bad english and uneducated reporters ,god help us!!!1

Is it just me who sees the irony?

GB

Established Member

If your in a glass house it's probably not wise to throw stones.

YorkshireBear

Established Member

I wonder how often you say wrong technical information about subjects you know little of. For the purpose of this article the beeb got it fine. If your that angry write a letter in a red pen.

eastwestdivide

Established Member
If your in a glass house it's probably not wise to throw stones.
Not wishing to add fuel to the fire, but in this case it's impossible to resist:

If you're in a glass house it's probably not wise to throw stones.

Back on topic, and answering the OP, it's not so uncommon to hear of drunk people getting into danger, like falling asleep in freezing conditions, or sleeping it off in a rubbish bin that's due to be emptied the next day. And no, it's not just a British thing - try googling drunk dumpster for US versions.
Next question, how did he get in there? It's a long way up for a drunk to climb successfully.

christopher

We really need a 'like' button on this forum, Some top quality comments in this thread :lol:

I can't see the guy getting more than a slapped wrist though!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Just note who were involved in this incident...

1)...Humberside Police
2)...A police helicopter
3)...British Transport Police
4)...Humberside Fire Service
5)...Paramedics

Will the involvement of all the above be brought up when the case is brought before the courts ? The commercial billing costs for the involvement of all the above should be stated as the cost of the stupidity of the action of the drunken man.

6Gman

Established Member
One way of getting Class 66 haulage!

:D

Seriously; I hope he has the book - and the bills - thrown at him.

Jonny

Established Member
What a total and utter prat, if the coal had been loaded while this bloke was in it, think of the mess, time and operation to retrive the body, the paperwork and RAIB report and court trials and compensation. Good job somebody found him before it was too late, a very well deserved arrest he has earned himself there

Especially the paperwork ;) and it would have been fodder for all the bad taste sites, wikis and forums...

Ediswan

Established Member
I hope he has the book - and the bills - thrown at him.

By tradition, the UK does not charge for 'search and rescue', no matter how inebriated, incompetent or reckless the behaviour. Unlikely this will be any different.

I checked the map. Killingholme to Immingham Docks is only a few km. Very lucky.

How many times in a career is a police pilot going to get told they need to find and stop a train!

Harbon 1

Didn't know immingham had a massive open pit mine.....

Did he really want to clear another shed that desperately? Utter moron! But what a way to go, being crushed to death by a HTA full of coal

lincolnshire

Didn't know immingham had a massive open pit mine.....

Did he really want to clear another shed that desperately? Utter moron! But what a way to go, being crushed to death by a HTA full of coal

No mine at Immingham, it all keeps coming out of them ships that keep bring coal into this country to keep the lights and power on, i don,t think that the public realize just how far coal travels to keep the electric supply on for them to waste leaving lights on all over there houses.

Harbon 1

No mine at Immingham, it all keeps coming out of them ships that keep bring coal into this country to keep the lights and power on, i don,t think that the public realize just how far coal travels to keep the electric supply on for them to waste leaving lights on all over there houses.

I was refering to the BBC stock photo :P

Temple Meads

Established Member
Sorry. Couldn't help myself.

Already been done I'm afraid ;)

Anyway, pleased to hear he was found in time, with regards to the "he should have to pay all rescue costs" brigade if everyone who injures themselves/needs rescuing through fault of their own paid their rescue/care costs, our emergency services would be rather better off..

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Anyway, pleased to hear he was found in time, with regards to the "he should have to pay all rescue costs" brigade if everyone who injures themselves/needs rescuing through fault of their own paid their rescue/care costs, our emergency services would be rather better off..

I think that I have seen something about hospitals charging in cases of RTA, but that may have been borne by the insurance companies involved.

Can someone clarify this particular matter, please.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Define 'own fault'.

That would be a horrendous legal minefield of billing and legal wrangling that the NHS largely avoids by simply paying for the care of any resident that turns up.
Ditto Search and Rescue.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor

Point for discussion: Should a distinction be made for persons who injure themselves (or need rescuing) whilst committing illegal acts as opposed to those who are not?

sprinterguy

Established Member
If this was a typical coal train formed of high capacity HTA or HHA bogie hoppers, how on earth did he get inside in the first place? You can't exactly inadvertently stumble into one of them.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Didn't Alec Guinness, Cecil Parker, Herbert Lom, Peter Sellers and Danny Green all end up in railway wagons ?

Ediswan

Established Member
I think that I have seen something about hospitals charging in cases of RTA.

True. That is a special case, with law behind it. But even they don't always bother. One reference here http://www.stjames.ie/Patients/PatientCharges/

I seen to recall an RAF announcement when Prince William moved to RAF Valley that anybody contriving an incident in the hope of calling him out would be getting the bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.