• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester - Liverpool Electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.

driver_m

Established Member
Wouldn't it be for the autotransformer wiring? That wasn't in place fully back then.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

topgun390

Just finnished runs to Newton Le Willows 390137 was fully instrumented up for comparision to March testing to give Network Rail figures to work on.
Indications say it went ok.

LDECRexile

Established Member

thealexweb

I'm delighted to welcome another new contributor.

Robbob, an experienced St Helens photographer, has kindly sent two photos of 319s at St Helens, one of which is a significant first.

I have added an album for Robbob's material here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/sets/72157653305624725

and added the shots to the Combined Volume here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/sets/72157648494725811

Thank you Robbob

On these eight coach services, other than Wigan North Western and Liverpool Lime Street, which stations support all doors being able to open?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
On these eight coach services, other than Wigan North Western and Liverpool Lime Street, which stations support all doors being able to open?

St Helens Central and Edge Hill are the only 8-car capable stations on the Wigan route.
I think the new platforms at Huyton and Roby are only 6-car (may be 6x23m).
Earlestown (P1 only), Patricroft and Eccles can also cope with 8-car.
I suspect the train in the photo was on test, or the second unit was locked out.

Today, at least 2 of the 4 units on the Wigan services were single DMUs - a 142 and a 150 on sardine duty.
Rather disappointing.

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Forgive me if this has already been mentioned, but are Virgin pendo's on divert again? One just passed me at Huyton.

RTT shows all VT Liverpool services after about 1300 are routed via Manchester.
London/Birmingham-Carlisle services are running from Crewe to Warrington via Chester, presumably with Voyagers.
No services to/from Scotland today, because of work around Carstairs.
So I guess the local engineering work is between Crewe and Acton Grange.
Same all day tomorrow.

Last edited:

Loop & Link

There aren't as many out on Saturdays (for now) 3 on Airport's, 3 on Man Vic's and 1 on Wigan's.

And they 8-car 319's have the rear unit locked out.

mcnw35282

Must be a few teething problems with the 319's cos the 19:47 LIV - WNW was working fine till it got to Thatto Heath, then the lights went off in the carriage and it seemed to limp to St Helens Central. We were stuck there for a good 15 mins cos something must've tripped off...they couldn't get the pan back up.

Geeves

Established Member
The 19:02 off Vic to Lime Street is booked to couple up at Vic an run back as two sets if anyone requires some 8 car goodness. There is a small island of diesel departures an swaps at Vic around this time each evening.

childwallblues

Established Member
The 19:02 off Vic to Lime Street is booked to couple up at Vic an run back as two sets if anyone requires some 8 car goodness. There is a small island of diesel departures an swaps at Vic around this time each evening.

Travelled from Euston to Lime Street on the 1755 yesterday evening arriving at 2107, two minutes late. Stopping pattern was Milton Keynes Central, Stoke-on-Trent, Stockport and Manchester Piccadilly. The train was also diverted via Northampton. It was strange to see two Pendolinos occupying Platforms 14 and 13 at Piccadiily at the same time.
Todays diversions mean that Liverpool supporters will have a direct service for the match at Stoke City this afternoon.
No Dog Box at Crewe for them!

LDECRexile

Established Member
I've received the following from someone in the know:

'...on Chat Moss, the Class 390 test last week has allowed diversionary running to be fully authorised on the Phase 2a route. The next stage of testing will be once the auto-transformer supply is commissioned. This is now scheduled for mid-July and will probably also include running on the Phase 2b route through St Helens.'

Thanks to this correspondent and also to TopGun390 for his customarily exciting notifications the other day; alas, filming at 04:30 defeated me!

PDG1949

I've received the following from someone in the know:................The next stage of testing will be once the auto-transformer supply is commissioned. This is now scheduled for mid-July and will probably also include running on the Phase 2b route through St Helens.

390 Pendos on LIV-WGN certainly will be a first ! :D

Last edited:

childwallblues

Established Member
You are making assumptions that they would be aware of that in the first instance. :)

It isce not an assumption as the route to Crewe is closed so they had to travel from Liverpool via Manchester to Stoke-on-Trent anyway. You of all people should have known that. Staff at Lime Street directed supporters to the correct train.
Lets hope that they behaved themselves on the return journey after their biggest league defeat since 1962 (according to Sky Sports).
You are making assumptions that they would be aware of that in the first instance. :)

Not really. With the Crewe closed they would have to go via Manchester.

gnolife

Established Member
It isce not an assumption as the route to Crewe is closed so they had to travel from Liverpool via Manchester to Stoke-on-Trent anyway. You of all people should have known that. Staff at Lime Street directed supporters to the correct train
I think you've taken the entirely wrong end of the stick. What I think he's saying is that Network Rail wouldn't have given the blindest bit of notice to the football season (and in fact if I remember rightly, this shutdown of the Crewe route could have been planned well before the football fixture list was announced), hence the unusual presence of a direct Liverpool to Stoke service is entirely coincidental.

childwallblues

Established Member
The route via Chester was open as normal.
That's the usual Plan B for passengers when the Runcorn route is up the spout.
Through running via Manchester is a very useful novelty.

Pendolinos cannot run from Liverpool to Chester without being dragged.
Since when has it been the usual Plan B? To my knowledge the usual Plan B has been via Manchester either via the CLC (before electrification) or Chat Moss for many years. It also gives a faster journey time now as LIV-EUS trains now can run via SOT.

Whistler40145

Established Member
It's a long time since Liverpool to Euston trains were diverted via Chester, loco hauled, including a reversal on the Chester triangle and the then double track Halton Curve, so that'd be the 1990s. I always thought that diversions via Manchester were the first choice if Warrington wasn't available.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Pendolinos cannot run from Liverpool to Chester without being dragged.
Since when has it been the usual Plan B? To my knowledge the usual Plan B has been via Manchester either via the CLC (before electrification) or Chat Moss for many years. It also gives a faster journey time now as LIV-EUS trains now can run via SOT.

What I mean is when the normal service is disrupted north of Crewe (it happens), Liverpool passengers are told at Crewe to go via Chester on ATW/ME as the next best thing - 2tph all day.
At that moment it is a better option than traipsing via Manchester.
It's not about rerouting through trains.

8A Rail

Established Member
I think you've taken the entirely wrong end of the stick. What I think he's saying is that Network Rail wouldn't have given the blindest bit of notice to the football season (and in fact if I remember rightly, this shutdown of the Crewe route could have been planned well before the football fixture list was announced), hence the unusual presence of a direct Liverpool to Stoke service is entirely coincidental.
You are correct - other people "assumed" that the fans would be aware of it but it is just co-incidental.

childwall blues said:
It is not an assumption as the route to Crewe is closed so they had to travel from Liverpool via Manchester to Stoke-on-Trent anyway. You of all people should have known that. Staff at Lime Street directed supporters to the correct train.
Why? You are making an assumption again! My main knowledge relates to freight and lines within Merseyside and North Cheshire and you of all people should have know that but I won't make that assumption! :lol: Passenger trains especially Pendolino's are of secondary consequence including diversions for them and which includes routes they take outside the above said area's.

LDECRexile

Established Member
I had a pleasant jaunt from Lime St to Man Vic and back today, caling at Huyton en route. I picked 319s as my steeds of choice.

The only bad news is that they have stopped selling Raspberry Muffins in the trad buffet at Man Vic. They were seriously fab.

I commented after my jaunt on opening Monday 18th May that 319 acceleration wasn't up to much 0-20mph, but was Wow! thereafter. Well, perhaps they were being driven tentatively that day, being the first day and it having rained. Today several felt decidedly quicker off the mark and all were still Wow! as they got going.

I make no apology for feeling excited as a 319 hurtled past me at Huyton and when the driver put his foot down over Chat Moss in both directions.

Today was a day of impressions rather than accountancy for me:-

The look and feel has changed, eg when we pulled into stations and a 319 pulled in opposite (eg Huyton, Eccles and Whiston); eg only a couple of trains to/from the west at Man Vic were two car; eg guards spoke with pleasure of the trains; eg a 319 arrived at Lime St from Wigan and disgorged a lot of people looking and sounding good, not looking how they could escape; eg Man Vic gets lighter and airier every visit; eg folks were whizzing through the Man Vic gateline like clockwork.

It all felt like it's getting there.

There will be bad days, but today felt good.

The stonework on top of Sankey Viaduct seems to be well advanced.

A lot of Orangemen were out and about.

The plywood anti-climb and anti-Graham's Grab barriers at Man Vic station ends bridges seem complete.

The plywood anti-climb and anti-Graham's Grab barriers at Rainhill station bridges are not complete.

The plywood anti-climb and anti-Graham's Grab barriers on the bridge between Lea Green and St Helens Jct are not complete.

Photos later.

Dave
I've added yesterday's photos to the Combined Volume here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/sets/72157648494725811

Last edited:

QueensCurve

Established Member
The plywood anti-climb and anti-Graham's Grab barriers at Man Vic station ends bridges seem complete.

The plywood anti-climb and anti-Graham's Grab barriers at Rainhill station bridges are not complete.

The plywood anti-climb and anti-Graham's Grab barriers on the bridge between Lea Green and St Helens Jct are not complete.

What on Earth is an "anti-Graham's Grab barrier"?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
What on Earth is an "anti-Graham's Grab barrier"?

Much earlier photos in the various flickr albums show 'Graham' demonstrating that he could almost physically reach parts of the OHLE, from stairs and footbridges and the like. This was well before energisation, by which time various ad hoc barriers were fitted, some of which were initially seen to be of doubtful quality.

Last edited:

PDG1949

Much earlier photos in the various flickr albums show 'Graham' demonstrating that he could physically reach parts of the OHLE, from stairs and footbridges and the like. This was well before energisation, by which time various ad hoc barriers were fitted, some of which were initially seen to be of doubtful quality.

The 'Graham' in question is our contributor GRALISTAIR, our Lancashire ex-pat working in Dayton, Ohio. He was over for a visit last year and met up up with Dave, LDECRexile. If you look at some of the other photos of the OHLE at Victoria, you'll see Dave had me doing the same (before it was energised of course - I'm not Uncle Fester ! ) :D

Last edited:

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
I've put a small album together to show the situation here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/sets/72157653298637359

The original photo was of Graham pointing, not grabbing, but Graham's Grab is more alliterative.

My full name is Graham Alistair Howarth (hence GRALISTAIR) ex Preston Lancs, born in Chester, educated in London, but now live in Dayton Ohio USA.

The photo was taken at Man Vic by Dave BEFORE the ceramic insulators were installed etc. It was a great day out and Dave avoided using a telephoto/zoom just to show how close the wire was to grab.

I have loved this thread - it introduced terms such as TGBU -Thundering Great Big Uns - and more recently a derivation of the word "miffed" as in miffage! Keep 'em comin Dave. Life is fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.