• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester - Liverpool Electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
What I would hope is to find a small group of kindred spirits who can pool resources and chuck them into the communal pot. The forum is a means of pooling, but it is necessarily random, so there are holes and, I suspect, wasted resources, notably people who have taken photos but who are shy of sharing or don't have the motive, means or opportunity to do so.

I was sharing my photos with NWSparks for Preston - Blackpool bridge raising and I do travel home from the USA very frequently. When that bit of wiring starts I will certainly contribute. Then if someone else can do Manchester Vic -Euxton Jct that would be good.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

deltic08

On Moderation
Your confidence is very encouraging. Mine was beginning to flag until I went to Earlestown yesterday and saw just what could be done in double quick time. I'm no false optimist and Roby-Huyton Junction seems to have a lot of holes, especially on the mega formed bases, but if that is just a matter of giving them time to cure they should all become mastable pretty close together. I'm not sure if masts can go up on Sankey Viaduct before all stonework is replaced. If they can, then I'm much more optimistic there, too, now that all bases are in place.

As you say, disasters might happen, it's only days since the Bryn accident.

I wonder if you are ever in a position to take and share any pictures of what you see? Your ringside seat is something we mortals can never access. (I'm not suggesting you snap whilst driving, of course!!)

Your closing paragraph is very kind and very heartening. I have been thinking of what to do after this party's over. It has been something the likes of which I've never done before. I originally set out imagining I might take 20 or 30 pictures tops; well, it's grown like Topsy.

I don't know the next areas apart from trips from Southport to Manchester via Bolton, so venturing forth would be both daunting and exciting. What I would hope is to find a small group of kindred spirits who can pool resources and chuck them into the communal pot. The forum is a means of pooling, but it is necessarily random, so there are holes and, I suspect, wasted resources, notably people who have taken photos but who are shy of sharing or don't have the motive, means or opportunity to do so.

Thank you for taking the trouble to put pen to paper (so to speak!)

You also assume posters know how to put photos on. I wouldn't have a clue.

tomneedham85

It'd be good to take photos but electronic equipment is banned out of the cabs now. Obviously its the mobile phones that's the main thing to be banned but anything like that is a potential distraction so I couldn't sorry. Too risky in this day and age. Pass jobs are rare too so its hard to even get back cab photos especially as there is so little work over the chat moss itself for us at VT. As for the line itself it just looks like it needs a good bit of unbroken access to get it done. ie getting into Victoria, tidying the junctions up, that sort of thing. Even if it goes a week or two over it looks substantially done now.

What kind of pictures do you guys want?

LDECRexile

Established Member
You also assume posters know how to put photos on. I wouldn't have a clue.

I expressly did not make such an assumption, as in "people who have taken photos but who are shy of sharing or don't have the motive, means or opportunity to do so."

Rather than descend into some silly did-didn't-did-didn't a) I would be pleased to talk you through how you could put photos on or b) equally pleased to do the legwork for you, eg scan prints, return them to you and put the images on or you email me images and I put them on. All I put on would be carefully credited to you. We'd need to co-operate on captions and the like, which should be fun, not a pain. Alas, I have no kit for handling slides.

If you're interested please contact me directly via this site's 'Private Messages' facility (somewhere near the top of the screen.)

Same goes for anyone else.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
What kind of pictures do you guys want?

I claim to speak for no-one but me on this.

I would especially welcome photos which can only be taken by people with access and knowhow: you fit both bills.

For example, on Wigan Branch M57 bridge the closest I can get is below the bridge or fast moving train windows. The latter is pretty hopeless.

You might be able to take photos of the studs before, during and after installation, giving brief, authoritative but layman's explanations of what's going on. Photos which combine themes can also be very interesting, eg include both an Orangeman and the job he's doing.

This is just an example, the feedback I've had from the photos I've put on says that there are people out there with a million different interests and pretty well anything might strike a chord with someone.

driver_m

Established Member
Notice pinned up at work that earlestown platform 3 is live from Sunday and part of the chat moss at the Liverpool end is too. Up to an lm03 stantion, so not too far.

LDECRexile

Established Member
Notice pinned up at work that earlestown platform 3 is live from Sunday and part of the chat moss at the Liverpool end is too. Up to an lm03 stantion, so not too far.

This is the sort of really helpful and interesting thing only an insider can bring. Warm thanks for sharing.

deltic08

On Moderation
I expressly did not make such an assumption, as in "people who have taken photos but who are shy of sharing or don't have the motive, means or opportunity to do so."

Rather than descend into some silly did-didn't-did-didn't a) I would be pleased to talk you through how you could put photos on or b) equally pleased to do the legwork for you, eg scan prints, return them to you and put the images on or you email me images and I put them on. All I put on would be carefully credited to you. We'd need to co-operate on captions and the like, which should be fun, not a pain. Alas, I have no kit for handling slides.

If you're interested please contact me directly via this site's 'Private Messages' facility (somewhere near the top of the screen.)

Same goes for anyone else.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---[/size.

That is very kind of you. The very few that I have of this line, have already been posted by you so are of no additional value.

LDECRexile

Established Member
Contact wire now runs continuous from Rainhill signal box to just shy of Sankey viaduct

Fabuloso
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Glad Tidings

1. More wires up through Huyton Quarry and over Chat Moss M57 bridge.
2. Portal up on Wigan Branch M57 bridge.
3. More wire up through St Helens Junction station (ie part of the contact wire reported by mcnw35282.)
4. First portal up on Sankey Viaduct.
5. Contact wires through Earlestown Platform 3 up to the last mast westwards before Sankey Viaduct (as per driver_m's report).
6. More wires moved from 1974 masts and arms to 2014 structures at Earlestown East.
7. Saw a Cherrypicker at St Helens Junction (as per DJH1971's report.)

8. Couldn't see any new wires over Penkford Road bridge, Collins Green.
9. Couldn't see connections between 1974 wires and 2014 wires at Earlestown South, they out of range of sight.
10. Couldn't see any changes between Roby Jct and Huyton Jct, but I didn't try very hard.
11. Engineering work overran overnight, leading to bustitution and some late trains, no idea where.

Also:

a) Orangemen active between Penkford Lane and Broad Lane, Collins Green
b) Pair of Orangemen busy at Huyton Quarry.

Comment:

Sankey Viaduct portal (Pier 4) is doubly good news because: 1) it is good news and 2) it means that electrification is not dependent on the stonework being reinstated, so masts and wiring can crack on unimpeded.

Progress shifting wires from old to new structures at Earlestown East is the sort of unsung good news which quietly moves things forward in leaps rather than steps.

Couldn't tell if wires over Track 3 at Earlestown were energised, considered licking finger and touching it but didn't want to get finger dirty.

Photos and spreadsheet this evening.

The railway was a lot better than the weather!

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

LDECRexile

Established Member
Thanks for update.

In one of your captions you ask about the yellow 'DEP' sign. This is a Designated Earthing Point, and is provided as a safe place to attach temporary earthing cables as part of an isolation of the OHLE during maintenance or repairs.

That makes sense, there are lots of wires attached to the mast and to one of the rails.

Thank you for your prompt and helpful reply.

Dave

LDECRexile

Established Member
I was not aware that the Orange Lodges, hearing of delayed matters, had sent volunteers into the area to help...:D

Indeed, it was only when Almaviva explained that Lindoro and Almaviva are one and the same person that her confusion was cleared up.

As luck would have it, the notary arrived, so Almaviva married Rosina on the spot.

The End

Billyblue

I can cofirm there was disruption caused by 'over running engineering work' on Sunday morning. I was on the 10.15am train to Manchester Victoria which finally departed Lime Street at about 11am. The 9.58am to Blackpool North had departed a few minutes earlier.
After being away for a few days there doesn't appear to have been any change between Roby and Huyton.
Last week the steps out of the subway (north on the Huyton Vilage side) were opened at last. The subway work is now complete apart from a little outstanding plastering to the right hand wall at the north of the subway. The work at the entrance to the station (steps/ramp etc) is very nearly completed.
Still lacking is any sign on platforms 3 and 4 to inform passengers, entering the station from the north side, of what is arriving at platform 1. It's quite common to see a stampede from platform 2 when people realise a Liverpool bound train is actually pulling into platform 1.
Apart from a few in the shelter there is a distinct lack of seats on platforms 2 and 3. Perhaps this is th e responsibility of Merseyrail?
As a complete layperson can anyone tell me what the illuminated STOP signs are for that appeared on platform 3 at Earlestown, platform 2 at Huyton and one of the Edge Hill platforms, a few months ago. The sign only ever appears to show STOP. I'm sure the explanation will be very simple lol

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
As a complete layperson can anyone tell me what the illuminated STOP signs are for that appeared on platform 3 at Earlestown, platform 2 at Huyton and one of the Edge Hill platforms, a few months ago. The sign only ever appears to show STOP. I'm sure the explanation will be very simple lol

It will probably be the end of a platform which is a through platform for one (main) direction, but is also used to reverse trains from the other direction.

LDECRexile

Established Member
I can cofirm there was disruption caused by 'over running engineering work' on Sunday morning. I was on the 10.15am train to Manchester Victoria which finally departed Lime Street at about 11am. The 9.58am to Blackpool North had departed a few minutes earlier.
After being away for a few days there doesn't appear to have been any change between Roby and Huyton.
Last week the steps out of the subway (north on the Huyton Vilage side) were opened at last. The subway work is now complete apart from a little outstanding plastering to the right hand wall at the north of the subway. The work at the entrance to the station (steps/ramp etc) is very nearly completed.
Still lacking is any sign on platforms 3 and 4 to inform passengers, entering the station from the north side, of what is arriving at platform 1. It's quite common to see a stampede from platform 2 when people realise a Liverpool bound train is actually pulling into platform 1.
Apart from a few in the shelter there is a distinct lack of seats on platforms 2 and 3. Perhaps this is th e responsibility of Merseyrail?

Solid informative stuff, warm thanks.

I'm struggling to think of an electronic STOP indicator on Earlestown Platform 3. The only two electronic signs I can think of there are the standard Merseyrail scrolling one telling what trains are coming, their destinations etc (eg my Photo 1801) and the pair of OFF indicators mid-platform (Photo 1757). Can you give me a clue where to look next time I go?

Thanks

Dave

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
A couple of new masts seem to have gone up at Huyton.
One is at the eastern end of P1, another is on Roby P2 (making 3 in all).
I think all the large-footprint concrete bases are still devoid of masts.
The 4 headspans at Rainhill have now got their main cross-wires.
The wiring through Earlestown P3 extends along the loop line to the main line junction.
There is still missing wiring at Wavertree Jn, so it can't be powered up yet.

steverailer

The wiring through Earlestown P3 extends along the loop line to the main line junction.
There is still missing wiring at Wavertree Jn, so it can't be powered up yet.

It will be 'powered up' as such, at Earlestown from the mainline to the point just before the station, where its then isolated with switches and perminant earth section.

This makes it easier in the final juice up, as the blockages and possesions required are less and can be done on the shorter mid week possessions.

I was not aware that the Orange Lodges, hearing of delayed matters, had sent volunteers into the area to help...:D

You'd be very supprised how many and from where they are being drafted in from, just like the mad rush from phase 1;);):lol::lol:

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Indeed, it was only when Almaviva explained that Lindoro and Almaviva are one and the same person that her confusion was cleared up.
As luck would have it, the notary arrived, so Almaviva married Rosina on the spot.
The End

Yes, I found Seville confusing too. They print the tourist map with East at the top. :-x
Funny how your short paragraph seems to take 3 hours on stage. ;)

Are you sure they say STOP and not OFF?
Those I saw today I believe are platform repeaters of the next signal aspect.
I'm never quite sure why they are not the same as "banner repeaters" but they only show anything ("OFF") when the signal is not red.

It will be 'powered up' as such, at Earlestown from the mainline to the point just before the station, where its then isolated with switches and perminant earth section.
This makes it easier in the final juice up, as the blockages and possesions required are less and can be done on the shorter mid week possessions.
Yes, I meant the power at the Wavertree end actually.
The OHLE is missing catenary/contact wires for 2 mast lengths at Wavertree Jn on the Down, and about 6 mast lengths on the Up.
At Earlestown I imagine the power is fed from the existing switchgear at Newton le Willows.

The portal on Sankey Viaduct is a slim cylindrical design, no doubt to minimise visual impact.
Although there are long stretches of Phase 2 with catenary/contact wire in place, quite a lot of it is not connected to the registration gear yet (eg over the M6, and through St Helens Jn).
Nothing new noted on the Wigan branch today, other than the M57 portal.
Or at Victoria. There are wires over all 4 lines approaching Victoria, but they swing over to masts just outside the station.
Rather worryingly, if you stand on the mid-level of the bridge at the west end of P3 at Victoria, you can virtually touch the copper catenary wire anchored to the adjacent mast.

snowball

Established Member
I'm never quite sure why they are not the same as "banner repeaters" but they only show anything ("OFF") when the signal is not red.

I'm certainly not a signalling expert, but maybe it's because they're intended to inform guards and/or station staff, not drivers?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I'm certainly not a signalling expert, but maybe it's because they're intended to inform guards and/or station staff, not drivers?

Indeed, but there are no station staff at these stations.
Must be for "self-despatch" then.

My train stopped at a handy spot at Earlestown today, so I took the attached picture of the heritage weather vane.
The iron railings for the station on P1 have also been very nicely repainted in white and red.
The station has scrubbed up well.

Attachments

• IMG_9990.jpg
    IMG_9990.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.