• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester - Liverpool Electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.

LDECRexile

Established Member
As for material prior to electrification, there is plenty about on flickr but may be members are not aware of my two flickr sites which both have various images taken on the L&M line / Prescot -St Helens line over the last 30+ years (amongst other local lines too)- they may interest you?

Recent Images (since 2010/11): http://www.flickr.com/photos/8arail/
Past Images (prior to 2010): http://www.flickr.com/photos/8a-collection/

I am always adding to both flickr sites - it just takes time, that is all. :)

Cor! Thank you for drawing these to our attention.

A problem I have with flickr as a consumer rather than contributor is that I seem to be at the mercy of the originator's naming practices. For example, I've tried (not very systematically, I admit) searching for things like 'Rainhill 2012' and get all sorts of things such as school performances. I welcome people being able to put such things on, of course, but it makes searching for nuggets rather hit and miss. I don't mind wading through things I'm not interested in, but I suspect I am missing things I am interested in, eg if Fred labels his fabulous photo of a mast being put up overnight as "More racket last night, again" we're stumped. Unless you know different.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
There's nothing much happening on the Wigan branch.
I would guess they are prioritising a launch date for Liverpool-Manchester Airport over the rest, as Northern has said that is where they want to start.

I agree with your second para.

Re the first, could you see if concrete has been poured on Carr Mill Viaduct Pier 4?

If it hasn't, has anyone any info on when it might be? The pumping job should be something special.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tomneedham85

Cor! Thank you for drawing these to our attention.

A problem I have with flickr as a consumer rather than contributor is that I seem to be at the mercy of the originator's naming practices. For example, I've tried (not very systematically, I admit) searching for things like 'Rainhill 2012' and get all sorts of things such as school performances. I welcome people being able to put such things on, of course, but it makes searching for nuggets rather hit and miss. I don't mind wading through things I'm not interested in, but I suspect I am missing things I am interested in, eg if Fred labels his fabulous photo of a mast being put up overnight as "More racket last night, again" we're stumped. Unless you know different.

I agree with your second para.

Re the first, could you see if concrete has been poured on Carr Mill Viaduct Pier 4?

If it hasn't, has anyone any info on when it might be? The pumping job should be something special.

The pour has already been done.

LDECRexile

Established Member
Just back from a quick whizz round.

Lots of good news:

1. Masts up on Carr Mill Viaduct piers 1 and 4 (thanks anyway Tom)
2. Wiring progress at Earlestown
3. Wiring progress at St Helens Junction
4. Major mast progress in Roby area

5. Alas, Roby lift out of use, no explanation available from station staff.

I'm going to stick my neck out and venture that there are now no mastless bases west of Roby Station and further risk scorn that there is maximum of two mastless bases between Roby station and the Vee of Huyton Jct.

Photos of these and other things reported earlier in the week later on.

Ziperdeedoodah, zipperdeeay

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I'm going to stick my neck out and venture that there are now no mastless bases west of Roby Station and further risk scorn that there is maximum of two mastless bases between Roby station and the Vee of Huyton Jct.

That must mean that at least some of the big concrete bases now have masts?

DJH1971

Established Member
Just back from a quick whizz round.

Lots of good news:

1. Masts up on Carr Mill Viaduct piers 1 and 4 (thanks anyway Tom)
2. Wiring progress at Earlestown
3. Wiring progress at St Helens Junction
4. Major mast progress in Roby area

5. Alas, Roby lift out of use, no explanation available from station staff.

Photos of these and other things reported earlier in the week later on.

Ziperdeedoodah, zipperdeeay
I
Indeed, especially the wiring progress which I have seen first hand at St Helens Junction.

LDECRexile

Established Member
First, the bad news. Close examination of zoomed shots west from Bridge Road bridge Roby show one wretched mastless base lurking on the south side of the tracks.

Drat, drat and double-drat.

This might be egg on my over-enthusiastic face, but doesn't detract from the tremendous changes which have taken place in the last couple of weeks.

34 photos added today appear here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/sets/72157648494725811/

I'll update the spreadsheet soon, but we've got Company. The upside is that one visitor was a Wavertree Lad in the 1960s and fancies a look round the Project tomorrow....
Paul Gaskell has sent me a shot of yesterday afternoon at Carr Mill Viaduct which I've added to his album here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/sets/72157649792560381/

and woven into the combined album here:

LDECRexile

Established Member
I've updated the Progressometer below.

Please note the very welcome extra columns in the lower, summary table.

These are the result of an initiative by Terry McMenamin of Derby. Terry didn't just whine or moan or even politely suggest that I go and spend an indefinite amount of effort making a 'simple' change; he made a copy, built a prototype and offered it to me without strings.

Nice one Terry.:D

Attachments

• NWelectrificationDiagram.xlsx
    149.2 KB · Views: 69

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
First, the bad news. Close examination of zoomed shots west from Bridge Road bridge Roby show one wretched mastless base lurking on the south side of the tracks.

It's just possible that one is for a signal post or something, rather than a main mast. It looks a smaller type of base.
A clue is if there is no matching base on the other side (I don't think there is with this one, from your pic).
Trouble is it's hard to view it all in one pass at speed!

LDECRexile

Established Member
It's just possible that one is for a signal post or something, rather than a main mast. It looks a smaller type of base.
A clue is if there is no matching base on the other side (I don't think there is with this one, from your pic).
Trouble is it's hard to view it all in one pass at speed!

Yes, I'm clutching at that straw to restore my dignity! Trouble is that not all appear to be portals or portals in the making, so lack of a match on the longer outside radius isn't a reliable guide.

But hey, ain't a lot happened?!

Last edited:

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
I've updated the Progressometer below.

Please note the very welcome extra columns in the lower, summary table.

These are the result of an initiative by Terry McMenamin of Derby. Terry didn't just whine or moan or even politely suggest that I go and spend an indefinite amount of effort making a 'simple' change; he made a copy, built a prototype and offered it to me without strings.

Nice one Terry.:D

Amazing guys- thanks for all your hard work. :D - nice addition.

8A Rail

Established Member
First, the bad news. Close examination of zoomed shots west from Bridge Road bridge Roby show one wretched mastless base lurking on the south side of the tracks. Drat, drat and double-drat.

This might be egg on my over-enthusiastic face, but doesn't detract from the tremendous changes which have taken place in the last couple of weeks.

34 photos added today appear here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/sets/72157648494725811/

Thank you for the update images especially around Whiston as it has been a while since been there (work interferes at moment) but sadly it dont look the same anymore to me, especially when you compare with some of my images on my 8A Rail flickr site - sort of before and after so to speak! Hey but that is long overdue progress for you. Thanks again.

ironstone11

Close examination of zoomed shots west from Bridge Road bridge Roby show one wretched mastless base lurking on the south side of the tracks.

Many thanks for your excellent coverage of this project.

From photo 1868, I think I can see a corresponding mast on the north side of the tracks. This looks thicker and longer than the others. I suspect these will carry "a thundering great portal" like the one nearer the camera.

Portals of this type, usually over four track lines, always come in pairs and are used for end of wire terminations, which may include the line tensioners. Spring loaded tensioners rather than weights.

This type of portal, heavy as it looks, is a more elegant version of the ones being used on the Great Eastern upgrade.

deltic08

On Moderation
Yes, I'm clutching at that straw to restore my dignity! Trouble is that not all appear to be portals or portals in the making, so lack of a match on the longer outside radius isn't a reliable guide.

But hey, ain't a lot happened?!

Everybody is very grateful to you for your dedication so don't worry about restoring dignity because it hasn't been lost.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Yes, I'm clutching at that straw to restore my dignity! Trouble is that not all appear to be portals or portals in the making, so lack of a match on the longer outside radius isn't a reliable guide. But hey, ain't a lot happened?!

Having done a couple of passes through Huyton today, all the "big" bases have an equally big mast attached, except the one on the south side near Roby Jn.
Its oppo on the north side has its mast.
Just to the west of these are a pair (one on each side) of small bases which I presume are for terminators for wiring runs.
They each have an anchor point further to the west still.
The big (giant!) gantries are reminiscent of those on the TV4 section of the WCML, or the new ones on the GWML at Reading.
At least one big boom is up, and the bits for another are lying on the ballast.

There are still 4 unmasted bases (piles) near Huyton Jn, 3 on the south side, 1 on the north.
At Huyton station (east end) there is a mast on the P1 side but nothing to match on the other side (the base might be set into P4).
At St Helens Jn it's a little odd. The TTC at the eastern end of the platforms has no registration gear yet, so the wires through the station pass underneath with no connection to the TTC.

Nobody seemed to be at home at the Edge Hill base.
I'm not sure what their work plan is over Christmas but they have a 2-day possession next Sat/Sun, during which time I'm sure they will do a lot of work.
The possession is to Earlestown/St Helens Central so they must be concentrating on the main line.

Not any easy day commuting. Full and standing east of St Helens (both routes), with folk left behind.
Only one of the 4 Wigan line trains was a double unit, and it wasn't mine!
My perception was that Northern were playing their usual Saturday trick of parking units at the buffers in Lime St all day instead of having them out working.
Roll on 4-car 319s!

LDECRexile

Established Member
Having done a couple of passes through Huyton today, all the "big" bases have an equally big mast attached, except the one on the south side near Roby Jn.
Its oppo on the north side has its mast.
Just to the west of these are a pair (one on each side) of small bases which I presume are for terminators for wiring runs.
They each have an anchor point further to the west still.
The big (giant!) gantries are reminiscent of those on the TV4 section of the WCML, or the new ones on the GWML at Reading.
At least one big boom is up, and the bits for another are lying on the ballast.

There are still 4 unmasted bases (piles) near Huyton Jn, 3 on the south side, 1 on the north.
At Huyton station (east end) there is a mast on the P1 side but nothing to match on the other side (the base might be set into P4).
At St Helens Jn it's a little odd. The TTC at the eastern end of the platforms has no registration gear yet, so the wires through the station pass underneath with no connection to the TTC.

Nobody seemed to be at home at the Edge Hill base.
I'm not sure what their work plan is over Christmas but they have a 2-day possession next Sat/Sun, during which time I'm sure they will do a lot of work.
The possession is to Earlestown/St Helens Central so they must be concentrating on the main line.

Not any easy day commuting. Full and standing east of St Helens (both routes), with folk left behind.
Only one of the 4 Wigan line trains was a double unit, and it wasn't mine!
My perception was that Northern were playing their usual Saturday trick of parking units at the buffers in Lime St all day instead of having them out working.
Roll on 4-car 319s!

If I'd known you were out and about I'd have waved!

I spent some time on the green sward north of the tracks west of Bridge Road bridge, Roby this afternoon. Actually, it's so green and lush because it's a swamp in disguise, definitely a Welly Job next time.

There are in fact two mastless bases, one we could see on the south side on yesterday's dollop of photos and one on the north side which I found today, but I don't necessarily think they are opposite each other.

I've added today's 15 photos here:

A general 'Thank You' for peoples' constructive, informative and kind comments over the past 24 hrs, they really do spur me on. Thank you, too, to Deltic08 for your contribution, worthy of a Green Howard. I wasn't really concerned for my dignity, but thank you all the same.

Not sure how much chance I'll get to go out and about between now and 29th, if none, then Season's Greetings to you all.

Cheers

Dave

deltic08

On Moderation
If I'd known you were out and about I'd have waved!

I spent some time on the green sward north of the tracks west of Bridge Road bridge, Roby this afternoon. Actually, it's so green and lush because it's a swamp in disguise, definitely a Welly Job next time.

There are in fact two mastless bases, one we could see on the south side on yesterday's dollop of photos and one on the north side which I found today, but I don't necessarily think they are opposite each other.

I've added today's 15 photos here:

A general 'Thank You' for peoples' constructive, informative and kind comments over the past 24 hrs, they really do spur me on. Thank you, too, to Deltic08 for your contribution, worthy of a Green Howard. I wasn't really concerned for my dignity, but thank you all the same.

Not sure how much chance I'll get to go out and about between now and 29th, if none, then Season's Greetings to you all.

Cheers

Dave

I know but it was my way of thanking you.

A little off topic but I caught the 1550 KX-Leeds Executive one day in 1976hauled by 55008. Had it departed on time I would have missed it but it departed 20 minutes late. Expecting fireworks I got my stopwatch out and I was not disappointed. Completely unchecked as far as Hare Park Junction, apart from 80mph at Marsh Junction Doncaster, we passed Grantham in a few seconds under the hour, Doncaster in 84 minutes arriving Leeds in 122 minutes. We just kept accelerating at the top of Holloway Bank to 112mph and kept the speed between 110 and 120mph all the way to Doncaster.

The answer is yes, Mark 2s ride very well at 120mph, and so must Deltics, but maybe not have soup in the dining cars.

DJH1971

Established Member
I know but it was my way of thanking you.

A little off topic but I caught the 1550 KX-Leeds Executive one day in 1976hauled by 55008. Had it departed on time I would have missed it but it departed 20 minutes late. Expecting fireworks I got my stopwatch out and I was not disappointed. Completely unchecked as far as Hare Park Junction, apart from 80mph at Marsh Junction Doncaster, we passed Grantham in a few seconds under the hour, Doncaster in 84 minutes arriving Leeds in 122 minutes. We just kept accelerating at the top of Holloway Bank to 112mph and kept the speed between 110 and 120mph all the way to Doncaster.

The answer is yes, Mark 2s ride very well at 120mph, and so must Deltics, but maybe not have soup in the dining cars.

Off topic equally, but thought '55's had a v-max of 100mph?

Bevan Price

Established Member
Off topic equally, but thought '55's had a v-max of 100mph?

There were not many data recorders or radar traps then.

Returning to main topic - heard today from a "Northern employee" - as widely suggested, first electric services expected to start Feb. 2015, involving Lime St. - Airport services.

By May 2015, they aim to have emus on Lime St - Manchester & Wigan services. Also, the Huyton possession over Christmas was said to involve installation of junction pointwork (but it had not yet been delivered to site ........... )

DJH1971

Established Member
There were not many data recorders or radar traps then.

Returning to main topic - heard today from a "Northern employee" - as widely suggested, first electric services expected to start Feb. 2015, involving Lime St. - Airport services.

By May 2015, they aim to have emus on Lime St - Manchester & Wigan services. Also, the Huyton possession over Christmas was said to involve installation of junction pointwork (but it had not yet been delivered to site ........... )

So, the ballpark figure mooted of February 2015 still seems to be the case. At least it's getting closer.

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Perhaps it is now worth waiting for more substantial developments before speculating further?

There's only so much to be gained by endlessly poring over every new reported mast.

tomneedham85

On the 27th December a small team will be entering Sankey Viaduct and carrying out brick repair works. Access will be made by digging down through the ballast to expose the access covers.
On the 27th December a small team will be entering Sankey Viaduct and carrying out brick repair works. Access will be made by digging down through the ballast to expose the access covers.

The 26th I mean.

8A Rail

Established Member

Interesting, so something wrong with existing Huyton Junction pointwork that was laid in July or in preparation for fourth line which is not due for another 2 yrs or so? Or at the Roby end instead, laying the point work for the fourth line and then locking / clipping it out? I am a little curious what the work is - anyone fill the gaps please?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Interesting, so something wrong with existing Huyton Junction pointwork that was laid in July or in preparation for fourth line which is not due for another 2 yrs or so? Or at the Roby end instead, laying the point work for the fourth line and then locking / clipping it out? I am a little curious what the work is - anyone fill the gaps please?

If there are track works then there won't be any electrification work...

mcnw35282

Just noticed on my Twitter feed that there are delays on the Wigan branch due to overrunning engineering works for the 2nd Sunday on the bounce...

Status
Not open for further replies.