• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester Metrolink master thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevin

I noticed this morning that most of the information displays on the stops on the Eccles line were turned on for the first time in months. Does this mean there has been some progress with TMS and these might be operational soon?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

martin2345uk

Established Member
The Eccles line has been under full TMS control for some time now. No idea why the PIDs haven't been used apart from at MediaCityUK. It's an encouraging sign though!

WatcherZero

Established Member
Theyve been powered up with no info displayed other than time for years (bar Eccles itself which only has its original PID and its turned off as far as I know). When they were first replaced a couple of years ago they were synched so the network connection is there, its just not in use.

kevin

Working passenger information displays on the eccles line tonight just on tram back to picc

WatcherZero

Established Member
The cracks are in the road aggregate surface not the base. Its perfectly normal for some pours to fail, expansion and contraction, weather, flaws in materials. You very rarely see a perfectly smooth concrete surface with no chipping or cracks.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
The cracks are in the road aggregate surface not the base. Its perfectly normal for some pours to fail, expansion and contraction, weather, flaws in materials. You very rarely see a perfectly smooth concrete surface with no chipping or cracks.

Thank you for this answer as to the exact position of these cracks. I wonder if this same problem had occurred to the same extent on previously laid sections on other Metrolink lines under construction.

WatcherZero

Established Member
Apart from some spin of the benefits of the car parks and work to alleviate the concerns of locals on traffic and crime what do you expect came up?

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Apart from some spin of the benefits of the car parks and work to alleviate the concerns of locals on traffic and crime what do you expect came up?

The actual physical number of car parking spaces being made available would be surely something useful to know, as would the methods of security provision and CCTV monitoring that may have been proposed.

Last edited:

martin2345uk

Established Member
It's DUE to open this year. But nobody knows when. Well some people at the top may have an idea ;) but we public don't.

Established Member
It's DUE to open this year. But nobody knows when. Well some people at the top may have an idea ;) but we public don't.

The date TfGM stated was "2012" so that could be anytime this year.

The bricks and mortar stuff are in place, the wires are up and the kit is in. The sticking point seems to be the signalling and control gear, which has suffered a substantial setback, allegedly.

martin2345uk

Established Member
The date TfGM stated was "2012" so that could be anytime this year.

The bricks and mortar stuff are in place, the wires are up and the kit is in. The sticking point seems to be the signalling and control gear, which has suffered a substantial setback, allegedly.

Aye but we've had confirmation today that the TMS signalling system has finally been commissioned to control the entrance to the Old Trafford deport from the Chorlton Line, which is positive news.

Established Member
Hence Martin, what the TMS testing on the Oldham & Werbys lines was about the other night ;)

Now... although that works fine, Droylsden line doesn't (*yet) and it's gonna be about three months later than was hoped :(

martin2345uk

Established Member
Hence Martin, what the TMS testing on the Oldham & Werbys lines was about the other night ;)

Now... although that works fine, Droylsden line doesn't (*yet) and it's gonna be about three months later than was hoped :(

That's a shame and a half if it's true... ah well, I have the Airport Line being forged into existence right by my flat so that will keep me going until something else opens! :D

Class377/5

Established Member
All we do know for sure is TfGM has publicly announced (via Oldham opening leaflets) that the line to Droylsden is to open next.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
On the South Manchester line to Parrs Wood, East Didsbury, rail welding will be carried out from St Werburgh's Road to Mauldeth Road West during the night (2300 to 0500) from Tuesday 21st August to Friday 24th August.

Testing of the overhead cables on this line will be carried out during the night (2000 to 0500) from Sunday 2nd September to Saturday 15th September and dynamic testing of the overhead line will take place during the night (1900 to 0500) from Sunday 16th September to Wednesday 26th September, which will involve the trams being moved along the line to test the connection between the tram and the overhead power lines.

Manchester77

Established Member

tom1649

Thanks for the information and pictures. It's a shame they aren't allowed out to Oldham. Will they be allowed on the other extensions? Having ridden on the new trams I have to say I prefer T68s, a view probably not shared by everyone.

snail

Established Member
Thanks for the information and pictures. It's a shame they aren't allowed out to Oldham. Will they be allowed on the other extensions? Having ridden on the new trams I have to say I prefer T68s, a view probably not shared by everyone.
As they are being phased out, very unlikely except in rare circumstances. I think they have gauge tested the Oldham and Droylsden lines with them though.

Manchester77

Established Member
I think we will most likely see them on the east Manchester route as this will be either an extension of the bury or Altrincham lines where t68s run

WatcherZero

Established Member
Theyve not applied to have the T68's EM cleared for the single line section and passing of Newton Heath depot by NR. They havent also applied for clearance of M5000's working coupled on that line either but I think its more a case of no immediate plans when their planning a 6 minute frequency for the line.

Nym

Established Member
I think we will most likely see them on the east Manchester route as this will be either an extension of the bury or Altrincham lines where t68s run

I'd actually expect these to be formed of either Eccles or MediaCity UK services extending through Piccadilly, or the additional 5tph to Oldham that we where always promised, since the current 5tph between Vic and Pic is just slightly pathetic!

Class377/5

Established Member

There has already been a T68 to Velopark last year during gauging trials.

As they are being phased out, its unlikely they will work any new extensions as they will be need to run doubles on the Bury & Altrincham lines while TMS is not working/Mosley Street not open.

Status
Not open for further replies.