• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester Metrolink master thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

34D

Established Member
Since the EML opened every Shaw tram runs into the Rochdale bound through platform at Shaw where they empty and run to Rochdale ghosting. They then come back and pick up at Shaw.

Thank you

Would this even apply during the peaks, for instance?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Manchester77

Established Member
Thank you

Would this even apply during the peaks, for instance?

Yeah they have enough trams for a full 12 minute service which is the peak and daytime frequency for SWR-SHAW

I suspect 3045 - 3049 were converted for services to Rochdale.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Discretion being the better part of valour, I will not be joining the expected SSC die-hards on the first Manchester Metrolink service to Rochdale (railway station), but will be with them only in spirit.

However, after a home-cooked breakfast, both my good lady wife and I will attempt to recreate the nearest thing available to a "state visit" as representatives of the best part of the illustrious Cheshire Golden Triangle at a more reasonable hour of the day....:D

12CSVT

Established Member
I'll probably do the Rochdale extension on Saturday when I'm up that way for the East Lancs gala.

familyguy99

burns20

Went on both the Droylsden and Rochdale extensions today and found them quite slow (compared to the Bury line), is this due to bedding in of the track?

Manchester77

Established Member
Went on both the Droylsden and Rochdale extensions today and found them quite slow (compared to the Bury line), is this due to bedding in of the track?

They also add extra slack into the timetable as drivers are usually more cautious to go quicker on the new lines.

Green Lane

Did Rochdale and Droylsden today. Had a great day, although slightly underestimated the time it would take to do these routes. So just got back in an hour ago having been out for about 13 hours, also slightly delayed on the way home by a broken down tram during rush hour on Mosley Street.

Think I've witnessed the Guinness world record attempt of how may people can fit into a tram!

From Droylsden I managed to get down to Fairfield railway station for a few quick snaps, which was good - very quiet station.

I will also be revisiting Rochdale at next opportunity, there's so much more there to see and photograph - just not enough hours in the day! :D

martin2345uk

Established Member

Droylsden in particular will always be slower than the Bury line; it's either street running and limited to 30mph (compared to 50 on the Bury) and the segregated bits are generally too twisty to get up much speed.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Droylsden in particular will always be slower than the Bury line; it's either street running and limited to 30mph (compared to 50 on the Bury) and the segregated bits are generally too twisty to get up much speed.

Once the line though Oldham town centre is finally open, there will be a similar extension in the journey time, but this is to be expected as the raison d'etre for this line diversion will be to enable passengers to access the facilities in Oldham town centre. That is the reason for this as it will be the same once the similar completion of the Rochdale town centre route is effected.

However, we must never lose sight of the benefits that this will bring to both commuters and shoppers in both of these two town centres rather than to look at the Manchester Metrolink line as something to be used as comparison with the heavy rail former Oldham loop line, which was something that occurred in postings in 2011 and 2012. Both the heavy rail railway stations at Oldham Mumps and at Rochdale were/are quite some distance away from their respective town centre cores.

WatcherZero

Established Member
whats patronage like on ORL2? From SCC photos it looks quite busy even off peak?

Surprisingly better than I expected, about a dozen and a half passengers from Rochdale Railway Station even on offpeak services. Its a bit hard to judge a new line opening straight off the bat though. Initially you tend to get a lot of enthusiasts, elderly with time on their hands and young mothers. The new line openings on Metrolink tend to be crammed for first couple of weeks, reduce a bit then build up gradually again over time again as they build regular users.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
At least the Manchester Metrolink line from Shaw and Crompton onwards to Rochdale has stations with platforms on both sides of the track once more, which was not the case before the heavy rail line closure. When was that section of heavy-rail line singled and northern-facing platforms taken out of use, as I remember many years ago the unused platform at one of these stations looking like it had not seen any passenger usage for very many years.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I believe Shaw-Rochdale was singled in the early 1970s but I'm not 100% certain.

12CSVT

Established Member
Did the Rochdale extension yesterday evening (after a day at the East Lancs).

Journey times appears to be longer than what it says on the information posters, it took about 40 minutes to/from Victoria, although posters on the platforms at St Peters Square and Market Street were quoting journey times of just over 30 minutes.

martin2345uk

Established Member
Did the Rochdale extension yesterday evening (after a day at the East Lancs).

Journey times appears to be longer than what it says on the information posters, it took about 40 minutes to/from Victoria, although posters on the platforms at St Peters Square and Market Street were quoting journey times of just over 30 minutes.

Weird, the metrolink website gives it as 45 minutes!

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Earlier points failure meaning up to 24 minutes between trams on St Werburgh's Road to Rochdale services. As it's not affecting any other services I'm assuming the failure must be on one of the new stretches.

Manchester77

Established Member
The points that have failed are probably the ones on the single line section at Newton Heath. They're very unreliable as they're sprung or too heavy idk technicalities...

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Weird, the metrolink website gives it as 45 minutes!

Indeed it does.

Metrolink said:
St Werburgh’s Road – Rochdale Railway Station 70 minutes
St Werburgh’s Road – Victoria, approximate journey time 25 minutes.
Rochdale Railway Station – Victoria, approximate journey time 45 minutes

If that stays as a through service after the Airport/Didsbury extension it will be a very long service!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
The points that have failed are probably the ones on the single line section at Newton Heath. They're very unreliable as they're sprung or too heavy idk technicalities...

With that particular section in mind in the design stage, knowing full-well that the Manchester Metrolink system would be only single-track operationally through the Newton Heath and Moston stop as a result of the parallel running with the heavy-rail reserved line to serve the waste compaction depot, should not the provision of a point-unit of long-established proven service usage have been a responsibility of the design team.

Mind you, hindsight is said to be a wonderful thing...:roll:

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

I am just thinking on how the long-ish town centre route currently in construction progress in Oldham town centre is scheduled for completion when compared to the now final section into the Rochdale town centre terminus, could possibly see another part section reopening into Rochdale town centre which would be an aid to the town centre there when compared with the current scenario "up the hill and not very user friendly" pedestrian barriered slalom route. Oldham town centre Metrolink extension is a far bigger project to complete.

Last edited:

Manchester77

Established Member
that was brought up on SCC a few days ago!!

I think it will because its all progressing at a simular rate in rochdale but in Oldham its all at different less advanced stages.

radamfi

Established Member
There was a points problem at Newbold on Saturday which led to no trains between Oldham and Rochdale for a couple of hours. Services resumed with delays with the points being changed manually with hand signalling.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
There was a points problem at Newbold on Saturday which led to no trains between Oldham and Rochdale for a couple of hours. Services resumed with delays with the points being changed manually with hand signalling.

That what you report may well be the case, but today, the local North-West BBC news was referring to events occuring this morning.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

I have since been informed that the overhead power lines between Monsall and Rochdale have been mentioned as a likely source of the problem.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.