• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester Metrolink master thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manchester77

Established Member
Id imagine it has something to do with the TMS codes on the PIDs.

Woodlands Road is on stilts most stops are flat on the ground and aren't supported by aged concrete stilts!!

R02 did you see any name boards at Rohdale Town as was reported on SCC?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

familyguy99

Id imagine it has something to do with the TMS codes on the PIDs.

Woodlands Road is on stilts most stops are flat on the ground and aren't supported by aged concrete stilts!!

R02 did you see any name boards at Rohdale Town as was reported on SCC?

^^ No M77 they wasn't any nameboard at Rochdale Town Centre stop let but the was couple of Metrolink sign near to stop like this one (which I think u seen on SCC thread.

Metrolink flag thing

And one about how to buy Metrolink ticket but I didn't took picture of it.

familyguy99

Thanks it looks weird seeing totems in plastic sheets!!

^^ I think good thing for them to have plastic sheet over it as if they keep it on until Rochdale Town Centre stop open it be nice and clean then it getting dirty and wet special like today when it was raining there.

Midlandman

Travelling through the city centre today, I noticed that there were several Metrolink staff on the Mosley St site, presumably to direct people since the much-advertised new PID on the corner of Mosley/Parker Streets was showing nothing more informative than three dots and the time. (Although, to be fair, it was the RIGHT time). This has all the ingredients of high farce - imagine someone going from Mosley Street to the Gardens at the behest of the PID, seeing his tram just leaving, legging it over to Market St, seeing his tram just leaving, going back to the Gardens..(repeat until something in your head snaps and you start attacking trams). St Peter's Square is now, of course, the only stop in town served by ALL Altrincham trams.
This just serves to make life a little less convenient, which is how we seem to do things in this country. Where else would they put up with the sheer stupidity that occurs inbound at Cornbrook? Having gone to the bother of putting a large roof on what is a very exposed site, all inbound trams go right to the end of the platform and stop in the open air, a wonderful experience when it's raining (which it does, on occasion, hereabouts). Is it just because they've put the disabled boarding markers where they have? And, if that's the only reason, shouldn't somebody be moving them?

Manchester77

Established Member
Firstly the PID wasn't working today because workmen removing electrical equipment from Mosley Street had disconnected the PID feed resulting in the live information not being able to reach the PID. The 3 dots mean that TMS signaling is working if you were wondering what they meant.

No one would do that they would look at the times and asses which stop to go to, so if it says Market Street 1 min and Piccadilly Gardens 4 min and you're stood next to old Mosley Street you'd look across the square and see that Market Street is further away and you cannot make the walk and go to Piccadilly Gardens, It's common sense.

It's something to do with the block signaling Freel said. When TMS comes to Cornbrook there are no blocks and so trams can stop anywhere along the platform (however due to high levels of trams to be using cornbrook trams will still probably stop there to allow there to be more than 1 tram in the platform as planned.) Signs do point you to where trams stop though however Cornbrook is very exposed and needs some kind of wind break up there!.

Midlandman

Common sense? That's a big assumption with some people! I know that the PID will give the times, but I'd like to think that somebody, just once.......

Manchester77

Established Member
Common sense? That's a big assumption with some people! I know that the PID will give the times, but I'd like to think that somebody, just once.......

At each Mosley Street replacer PIDs they should have a sign which tells you on average how long it takes to walk to Piccadilly Gardens and Market Street so people can look at the sign then the PID and see that there may be a tram at Market street in 1 minute but it's a two minute walk from their location.

rebmcr

Established Member
The road along the canal (Canal Road) from Park Road continues into Deansgate Lane to the existing level crossing and from there, it is a feeder to numerous local roads, without having the need to carry on further down Park Road to Moss Lane to access these same roads.

Note that the loss of garden views caused by such an envisaged new bridge is sure to cause a vigorous campaign on behalf of those residents unfortunate to suffer this loss, by various civic societies in the Timperley and the Altrincham areas.

What budgetary amount of finance do you envisage for the cost of the new bridge (assuming that it will not be similar to the large project costs that were involved with the major bridgeworks on Stockport Road that finally resolved the level crossing problem in Altrincham town centre many years ago).

Wouldn't putting the road in a diveunder require less land-take and limit the rail disruptions to a one-off deck installation?

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Cornbrook is very exposed and needs some kind of wind break up there!.
True it's exposed, but I'm not sure how you could provide shelter from the wind bar putting glass walls (similar to some tube stations) between platform and tram. Speaking of which, I experience discomfort far more often when arriving at Piccadilly on a Sunday evening and wanting the ALT tram (more often than not having to wait for both the Bury and Eccles trams to go first, and and least once seeing the ALT depart while buying tickets for it).

Seriously, it's like a fridge down there, woe betide those who have to wait 15 minutes for their service (I think that's the Sunday evening frequency). Now that they have information screens could they put one, and some Metrolink ticket machines, up in the much warmer NationalRail station, so passengers only have to go down when their tram is soon? Alternatively, put tube-style glass walls alongside the platform and heat the latter (some seats, and bins (a fair amount of rubbish on top of ticket machines today) wouldn't go amiss either).

WatcherZero

Established Member
Could do I suppose, would have to be a pretty steep dive under for trucks though. I guess im not a fan of diveunders though seeing how bad BR/NR are at getting the drainage to work in them with diveunders near me regularly flooding local streets.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
New displays have been installed at the Shudehill, Market Street, Piccadilly Gardens, Piccadilly station, St Peter’s Square and Deansgate-Castlefield stops following the roll-out of a new tram management system through the city centre.

So Victoria has to wait until after the rebuild?

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I suspect with a "Moss" nearby the water table or ground conditions at Navigation Road could be tricky for a diveunder.

Some screens down the centreline of the platform at Cornbrook would at least provide some shelter from the wind.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Travelling through the city centre today, I noticed that there were several Metrolink staff on the Mosley St site, presumably to direct people since the much-advertised new PID on the corner of Mosley/Parker Streets was showing nothing more informative than three dots and the time. (Although, to be fair, it was the RIGHT time). This has all the ingredients of high farce - imagine someone going from Mosley Street to the Gardens at the behest of the PID, seeing his tram just leaving, legging it over to Market St, seeing his tram just leaving, going back to the Gardens..(repeat until something in your head snaps and you start attacking trams). St Peter's Square is now, of course, the only stop in town served by ALL Altrincham trams.
This just serves to make life a little less convenient, which is how we seem to do things in this country. Where else would they put up with the sheer stupidity that occurs inbound at Cornbrook? Having gone to the bother of putting a large roof on what is a very exposed site, all inbound trams go right to the end of the platform and stop in the open air, a wonderful experience when it's raining (which it does, on occasion, hereabouts). Is it just because they've put the disabled boarding markers where they have? And, if that's the only reason, shouldn't somebody be moving them?

With a few exceptions, terminuses and Victoria outbound off the top of my head, all Metrolink vehicles proceed right to the end of each platform to load/unload so that a rescue vehicle can be brought in behind them if they fail while in the platform.

Now, that's according to a driver. The disabled boarding markings also came into it back when there were 5 split-level platforms, but since there hasn't been one after Cornbrook inbound since St Peters Square was rebuilt that doesn't look likely to change soon.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
True it's exposed, but I'm not sure how you could provide shelter from the wind bar putting glass walls (similar to some tube stations) between platform and tram. Speaking of which, I experience discomfort far more often when arriving at Piccadilly on a Sunday evening and wanting the ALT tram (more often than not having to wait for both the Bury and Eccles trams to go first, and and least once seeing the ALT depart while buying tickets for it).

Seriously, it's like a fridge down there, woe betide those who have to wait 15 minutes for their service (I think that's the Sunday evening frequency). Now that they have information screens could they put one, and some Metrolink ticket machines, up in the much warmer NationalRail station, so passengers only have to go down when their tram is soon? Alternatively, put tube-style glass walls alongside the platform and heat the latter (some seats, and bins (a fair amount of rubbish on top of ticket machines today) wouldn't go amiss either).

THIS! I couldn't agree more!
Some screens down the centreline of the platform at Cornbrook would at least provide some shelter from the wind.

I agree - but consider that the more paraphernalia gets in the way at Cornbrook the harder it is to change quickly between trams!

Manchester77

Established Member

).

I meant some kind of wall that could be placed on either side of the metrolink tracks which act as a block to the wind that blows right across the platform

So Victoria has to wait until after the rebuild?

Yes because it is being completely remodelled and it'd be pointless doing it now as it'd all be changed in 12 months

snowball

Established Member
Wouldn't putting the road in a diveunder require less land-take and limit the rail disruptions to a one-off deck installation?

It's much less hassle to build a bridge over an operational railway than under it.

Land-take doesn't much depend on whether the bridge is over or under (that's assuming the ends of the approaches are at the same level as the railway). It depends on how steep the approach embankments or cuttings are, and how steep their sides are. Steeper or vertical sides are more expensive.

Diversion of services would probably be more difficult going under than over.

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
:cry:

Mosley is dead! :(

I thought that old troublemaker had "popped his clogs" in December 1980..<(
Signs do point you to where trams stop though however Cornbrook is very exposed and needs some kind of wind break up there!.

Noting what you have stated about the elevated position of Cornbrook making it susceptible to the vagaries of the British weather, I am reminded of the numerous times that I have had to be on Sandhills station after making a change of service from the line from Kirkby to access Hall Road station services where the similar elevated situation is prone to the weather. At least there has been some covered and enclosed waiting accommodation provided there for passengers using that station whilst they await their onwards connections.

Manchester77

Established Member
The Cornbrook issue is a tricky one; an enclosed waiting room is impractical with the frequency the stop is to get but when even on a sunny day the wind really does get to Cornbrook. I often stand in the enclosed part at the top of the stairwell however it does make you look a tad odd.

Established Member
My plan for Cornbrook viaduct is a 4-track affair.

4 tracks. No station ;)

Eccles? Change at Deansgate!

Starmill

Veteran Member
The Cornbrook issue is a tricky one; an enclosed waiting room is impractical with the frequency the stop is to get but when even on a sunny day the wind really does get to Cornbrook. I often stand in the enclosed part at the top of the stairwell however it does make you look a tad odd.

Press your face against the glass and wait for an outbound double to accelerate out of the platform - they get pretty fast down that hill!

For an enhanced experience, wait here at the south end of the footbridge for an outbound double T68 to go past at 50mph :D

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member

What a sad reflection on a Metrolink stop that is said to be a major fulcrum point on the system.

No lessons learnt from the shortfalls of the lack of platform width of the very narrow island platform Salford Crescent heavy rail station that is to have its waiting room removed under the refurbishment proposals, which has much similarity to the Cornbrook Metrolink stop.

Last edited:

Manchester77

Established Member
When all lines are open there'll be a tram every 1 minute or so I think. In future the absolute normal maximum in a sunday off peak/bank holiday frequency will be 15 minutes. In normal service it can range from 6 to 12 minutes although for many destinations its alot more frequent. It's impractical because of the frequencies, it'll have the highest number of trams through it on the network by 2016 - only Bury to Ashton won't call and there'll be something like 9 services

Starmill

Veteran Member
Eventual max frequencies, through Cornbrook:

5tph Altrincham - Piccadilly
5tph Altrincham - Bury
5tph East Didsbury - Rochdale Town Centre
5tph East Didsbury - Shaw and Crompton
5tph Eccles - Piccadilly (possible Ashton-under-Lyne by then)
5tph terminating from MediaCityUK
5tph Manchester Airport - wherever they decide to send it

In total, 35 trams per hour, per direction. That's more than the Victoria line :D

(Okay have I made any mistakes? I don't think so? I think there are still some large question marks over the Airport line, I think possible 10tph was even mooted?)

For reference:
Current max frequencies, through Cornbrook

5tph St Werburgh's Road - Rochdale Railway Station
5tph Eccles - Piccadilly
5tph MediaCityUK - Piccadilly
5tph Altrincham - Piccadilly
5tph Altrincham - Bury

Manchester77

Established Member
It's an aim to get the airport line to 10 tph, factor in the Port Salford line we could have 45 tph in each direction.

I think someone posted on the SCC thread a PDF a TfGM committee report detailing this

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The matches and other events don't usually coincide with commuter peaks so there should be both the capacity and the spare vehicles to run extras.

Status
Not open for further replies.