• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester Metrolink

507 001

Established Member
One benefit (at a guess) is that it probably reduces the overall number of diagrams that have to be 3001-3060 seen as Bury to Piccadilly can be operated by any of the 147 trams… whereas anything to Altrincham lacks such flexibility.

I think it’ll be roughly the same. There now needs to be two media city sets fitted with ATS too as these switch to Alt-Etihad sets post peak.

My understanding is the new substation is a way off still. I know some work was carried out but seems to have fairly ground to a halt and not restarting imminently?

Work has now restarted.

Some of 3001-3060 have lost the equipment needed to run to Altrincham as well, so there's even less flexibility. I think it was 3025 I noticed with something in the cab that said it was a non-ATS tram when I was last there.

Yes there’s a few retrofitted sets that have had the equipment isolated. The retrofit sets have been a continuous pain, so the isolation of this equipment is no bad thing.

Metrolink at least until the bus rollout is complete and then they may think about refreshing the branding.

There is no plan yet.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mothball

Some of 3001-3060 have lost the equipment needed to run to Altrincham as well, so there's even less flexibility. I think it was 3025 I noticed with something in the cab that said it was a non-ATS tram when I was last there.
3025, 30 and 53 are now TMS only.
Yes there’s a few retrofitted sets that have had the equipment isolated. The retrofit sets have been a continuous pain, so the isolation of this equipment is no bad thing.
With the ACEC fitted units being restricted from Media it should narrow down the vehicles used on those two Media/Alt sets a fair bit!

507 001

Established Member
With the ACEC fitted units being restricted from Media it should narrow down the vehicles used on those two Media/Alt sets a fair bit!

Media isn’t the problem for the ACEC fitted sets, it’s Broadway where they suffer spurious trips.

Danfilm007

Apparently not…

There’s a very strong rumour that only one or two will make it into the new overall yellow. There’s certainly no rush to get them repainted.

Not sure where you've heard otherwise so happy to take newer info - certainly at the Passenger Transport Forum earlier in the year the TFGM reps were saying everything would (eventually) become all-over yellow but there is no rush as you say!

507 001

Established Member
Not sure where you've heard otherwise so happy to take newer info - certainly at the Passenger Transport Forum earlier in the year the TFGM reps were saying everything would (eventually) become all-over yellow but there is no rush as you say!

There’s nothing concrete but there are strong rumours going round the ops side that it’ll just be a couple of units painted.

MasterSpenny

The network being extended to Stockport is now a step closer.

Stockport tram: Mayor to put business case for in-demand link​

Plans to extend Greater Manchester's Metrolink tram network to Stockport have taken a step closer - with mayor Andy Burnham promising to make a business case for the in-demand link.
He said he will work with Stockport Council on the expansion over the next 12 months.
The proposal would link the town to Manchester Airport and East Didsbury.
Mr Burnham said the move would help Stockport "unlock its outstanding potential".
"We are developing the business cases to bring Metrolink to Stockport and redevelop the town's railway station," he said.
"When combined with the arrival of the Bee Network franchised bus to the borough it would bring huge social and economic benefits to the town.
"I know the vision for Stockport is a compelling one, and I would like to bring our outstanding tram network there as soon as we possibly can."
Stockport Council leader Mark Hunter said the area has "everything in place" for work to begin.
"Stockport has delivered in recent years - both in terms of regenerating our town centre and improving our existing infrastructure," he said.
Stockport's new multi-million-pound transport interchange will open in March next year and will be surrounded by new homes, the Local Democracy Reporting Service said.
Stockport mayoral development corporation's interim chairman Eamonn Boylan said it was "invaluable to the town, to the city region, and to the wider northern and national rail networks".
He added: "Enhancing Stockport's role as the transport hub for the south of Greater Manchester while maximising its role as an economic driver for Stockport is a longstanding ambition."

Mothball

All the ACECs are marked up for No Eccles/TPL, I presume to prevent any unexpected diversions? That may possibly change if the new pattern somehow proves troublesome.

Accura

Ah yes, those busy cross city Bury - Altrincham services having their formations cut in half - well done TFGM or whatever it's called now
As a resident on the Bury line I'm very happy with this change. Evening and Sunday services (when the directs don't run) are often hit by overcrowding due to only single units running. This change means we'll get doubles running all day, all week, rather than just the middle of the day.

The bad news is for those on the Altrincham line. I'm not sure if this still happens, but when I lived on that route a small number of trams on Piccadilly services were run as doubles in addition to the directs to boost capacity. With the constraints that 507001 has explained regarding power on the Bury line, this can't be done with the directs until the new substation is complete. As has been suggested, hopefully we'll see the Piccadilly routes on both lines and the directs all run as doubles in the future.

In the short term this change is probably the best outcome, as it also caters for late finishing events at the venues in Old Trafford.

Tramfan

Currently there are normally 2 out of the 7 Altrincham - Piccadilly diagrams that seem to be doubles, though for Man Utd home fixtures they often seem to be all doubles - don't know if this will be possible any more if the Bury line can't handle a 6 min double service?

Tim33160

"All the ACECs are marked up for No Eccles/TPL"

Query: what is ACEC? and which ones are so-fitted?

Thanks

Mothball

"All the ACECs are marked up for No Eccles/TPL"

Query: what is ACEC? and which ones are so-fitted?

Thanks
It's the type of ATS equipment fitted to the vehicle. ACEC is the type removed from the T68s. Off the top of my head (So may well be wrong) 3026-29, 3031-36, 3050-52, 3054-56 are ACEC equipped.

Tramfan

It's the type of ATS equipment fitted to the vehicle. ACEC is the type removed from the T68s. Off the top of my head (So may well be wrong) 3026-29, 3031-36, 3050-52, 3054-56 are ACEC equipped.
Interesting to know, I was only aware of the restrictions on certain trams being able to run to Altrincham. Are there any other vehicles with restrictions such as routes they can't operate, or suchlike?

Class 466

Established Member
There’s still at least 2 doubles out on Bury to Altrincham. The trick will be planning the commute around those!

Mothball

Interesting to know, I was only aware of the restrictions on certain trams being able to run to Altrincham. Are there any other vehicles with restrictions such as routes they can't operate, or suchlike?
Nothing particularly long term im aware of, most cases causing restrictions tend to be a fault with a specific vehicle causing issues in certain areas although these are planned in for repair before long.

Tim33160

Thanks for the update

Lewisham2221

Established Member
I'm not a regular user of Metrolink, is it normal for drivers to close the doors whilst there are people quite clearly still attempting to board the tram?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I'm not a regular user of Metrolink, is it normal for drivers to close the doors whilst there are people quite clearly still attempting to board the tram?
On occasion, it certainly seems to be so. In any event, there'll usually be another one along in a few minutes.

Lewisham2221

Established Member
On occasion, it certainly seems to be so. In any event, there'll usually be another one along in a few minutes.
Not particularly helpful if someone/something gets trapped in the doors. Or a parent and child get separated (or any party travelling together for that matter).

WatcherZero

Established Member
If you waited for everyone it would never move, constant stream of new platform punters.
Doors do close automatically after a certain amount of time if no obstructions as well.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
In any event, there'll usually be another one along in a few minutes.

But not helpful if you're making a journey like Old Trafford to Marsden or Heaton Park to Northwich. The next tram 'in a few minutes' will go to the wrong interchange and you could potentially miss the hourly train service. Even more likely if they decide to terminate the next tram short to recover late running. And as Delay Repay doesn't apply to Metrolink they don't care if passengers making multi-modal journeys get home an hour late.

If you waited for everyone it would never move, constant stream of new platform punters.

Not at every stop though. At some stops there can be very few (if any) passengers boarding. Unlikely at Piccadilly Gardens or Market Street though.

507 001

Established Member
Nobody intentionally traps people in the doors, but there’s a pack of discipline amongst our passengers when it comes to closing doors.

Most of the time it is unavoidable.

Lewisham2221

Established Member
As a comparison this absolutely is established practice on London Underground, as if you didn't you'd never depart.
Can't say I've ever witnessed it on LU tbh, not in this manner. Yes, initiating the door close sequence when there's the slightest of gaps between passengers, but not when there's a group of people clearly in the process of boarding, with clear daylight behind them.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Can't say I've ever witnessed it on LU tbh, not in this manner. Yes, initiating the door close sequence when there's the slightest of gaps between passengers, but not when there's a group of people clearly in the process of boarding, with clear daylight behind them.

You've never been to Bank in the evening rush hour, then.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
On London Underground I've experienced a driver announcing over PA to "Stop obstructing the doors as it delays the departure" when she closed them on passengers who had been, correctly, waiting for someone to a pushchair to alight before they tried to get on. (And before someone starts a DOO debate I've experienced the same thing on a crowded platform where it was a Northern guard who pressed the close button).

Mothball

3025, 30 and 53 are now TMS only.

An update to this, 3030 has now (In the last couple of days) had its ATS system repaired and reinstated so will inevitably find it way back up the Altrincham line at some point, for the first time in just over 4 years.....

3035 is one I had missed off the TMS only list.

Tim33160

Due to a cracked rail at Victoria, there will be a service change in effect from start of service Tuesday 16 January until close of service on Friday 19 January on the below lines.

Altrincham to Bury and Manchester Airport to Victoria:​

Services will operate via Exchange Square. Customers travelling to Market Street and Shudehill should change at Victoria and board a Piccadilly bound service.

https://tfgm.com/tram-service-change-victoria

Presume this reduces trams over the cracked rail (unknown location) from three trams every 12mins to one.
The left turn at the top of Mosley St to Market St is thus tramless (one part of the delta junction)

JRT

Not sure if this has been posted already...
A new three-year deal between Metrolink and its operating company has been announced by transport chiefs.

The Metrolink tram network in Greater Manchester is run on Transport for Greater Manchester's behalf by private company KeolisAmey Metrolink Ltd. TfGM has now confirmed an extension to the Metrolink operations and maintenance contract, which will see the company continue to operate and maintain trams here from July until July 2027.