• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester Metrolink

Tramfan

There may be a minimum turnaround specified within the planning rules to allow the driver time to shut the desk down at one end and set the desk up at the other, and like has been said above any additional standing time will help with timetable resilience.

Although Metrolink doesn't publish an exact public timetable, publishing their advertised line frequency and first/last journeys instead, there is an underlying timetable that things like the driver diagrams and rosters will be built upon. If only a minute was given at each end, any slight delay would quickly make the service fall apart, and whilst the passengers might not necessarily notice immediately (in that trams would still be running) you'd probably very quickly start to risk driver break issues, drivers going over their shift, trams having to be turned short of destination to recover time, or taken out of service entirely.

There was a thread recently about resilience vs. efficiency in terms of timetabling on the railway, and there really should be a balance between the two. Too much slack results in over-utilisation of resources from both a tram and driver perspective, whilst high efficiency as stated above will result in services regularly falling apart through late running.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

507 001

Established Member
You very quickly start to notice if you do a stint of driving without any turnaround time, especially considering we can do up to 5hrs 30mins in a stint.

Sometimes efficiency isn’t the be all and end all. Resilience is far more important.

Mothball

3015, out of service since 21/01/2021 has moved to Queens Road for the final stages of preparation to return to service.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
3015, out of service since 21/01/2021 has moved to Queens Road for the final stages of preparation to return to service.
What happened to this particular unit which resulted in it being out of use for over three years?

Did Woodlands Road station need to close to Metrolink?
Apparently, Woodlands Road tram stop was closed because two new tram stops at Queens Road and Abraham Moss were to be built to replace it and serve the area better. One thing that confuses me is that the site of the former Woodlands Road station is less than 300 metres away from Abraham Moss tram stop walking. Why did they have to waste £2 million to build a new stop that basically serves the area the same way? I couldn't find anything that points this out.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Apparently, Woodlands Road tram stop was closed because two new tram stops at Queens Road and Abraham Moss were to be built to replace it and serve the area better. One thing that confuses me is that the site of the former Woodlands Road station is less than 300 metres away from Abraham Moss tram stop walking. Why did they have to waste £2 million to build a new stop that basically serves the area the same way? I couldn't find anything that points this out.
Abraham Moss decants the student ridership directly on campus.

507 001

Established Member

It has now returned to service.

Yes it did.

It wasn’t very well used because it wasn’t particularly pleasant, and it wasn’t particularly accessible. By the end it was only open 9am-4pm to avoid the peaks, its proximity to ABM in particular slowed the service down too much.

ABM by contrast has usage figures an order of magnitude higher than Woodlands Rd ever did. QNS is a little disappointing in terms of usage, but still considerably higher than Woodlands.

Incidentally, I was the second to last driver to call there in service I believe.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
It has now returned to service.

Yes it did.

It wasn’t very well used because it wasn’t particularly pleasant, and it wasn’t particularly accessible. By the end it was only open 9am-4pm to avoid the peaks, its proximity to ABM in particular slowed the service down too much.

ABM by contrast has usage figures an order of magnitude higher than Woodlands Rd ever did. QNS is a little disappointing in terms of usage, but still considerably higher than Woodlands.

Incidentally, I was the second to last driver to call there in service I believe.
I notice you provide station codes (ABM - Abraham Moss, QNS - Queens Road). Is this official or just informal/internal? Wouldn't mind seeing a full list if the former!

507 001

Established Member
I notice you provide station codes (ABM - Abraham Moss, QNS - Queens Road). Is this official or just informal/internal? Wouldn't mind seeing a full list if the former!

Yes they’re official :)

http://www.railwaycodes.org.uk/crs/crs1.shtm#metrolink (website shown as not secure so could be blocked)
It seems there is a code system for the stations on the Metrolink

Not all of those are accurate, but most of them are at least there. When I can get onto my proper computer (rather than my phone) I’ll post a list of corrected ones.

Last edited:

507 001

Established Member
This code system seems to be official, but it doesn't come with the stop names, just the codes.

Yes, those are accurate.

Not fully understanding the importance of the referred-to codes and asking what importance is attached to them.

They are simply a way of abbreviating the station names. They are used for things like reporting of problems in paperwork, and for the signalling system.

Adam Evans

Queens Road is also very close to the Irish World Heritage Centre, the GM Museum of Transport and the Manchester Fort retail park. It's location is much better than that of the former Woodlands Road station for those places mentioned.

507 001

Established Member
Queens Road is also very close to the Irish World Heritage Centre, the GM Museum of Transport and the Manchester Fort retail park. It's location is much better than that of the former Woodlands Road station for those places mentioned.

And yet out of the two new stations built to replace Woodlands Rd, Queens Rd is by far and away the quietest.

Tim33160

Another cracked rail ....

Piccadilly Gardens works​

From 5pm on Saturday 6 April, until the end of the day, a temporary service change will be in place affecting trams between Piccadilly Gardens and Piccadilly tram stop.

Normal services will run until 5pm. After 5pm, a new timetable will operate for the affected lines:
  • Ashton to Piccadilly
  • Eccles via MediaCityUK to Cornbrook
  • Altrincham to Bury
All other services will operate as normal.

Replacement buses will be provided for passengers travelling between Victoria - Piccadilly, and Piccadilly - Cornbrook.

The work has been scheduled for this time to minimise disruption to major events such as the Manchester United vs Liverpool match on Sunday afternoon.

Find out more

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Affected trackwork is presumably where the Metrolink tram tracks cross Portland Street in the City Centre, more or less at right angles, this on the section between Piccadilly Gardens and Piccadilly station.

Wonder whether this section of trackwork has ever previously been replaced / renewed since the Metrolink network first opened in the early 1990s?

507 001

Established Member
Another cracked rail ....

Piccadilly Gardens works​

From 5pm on Saturday 6 April, until the end of the day, a temporary service change will be in place affecting trams between Piccadilly Gardens and Piccadilly tram stop.

Normal services will run until 5pm. After 5pm, a new timetable will operate for the affected lines:
  • Ashton to Piccadilly
  • Eccles via MediaCityUK to Cornbrook
  • Altrincham to Bury
All other services will operate as normal.

Replacement buses will be provided for passengers travelling between Victoria - Piccadilly, and Piccadilly - Cornbrook.

The work has been scheduled for this time to minimise disruption to major events such as the Manchester United vs Liverpool match on Sunday afternoon.

Find out more

It’s had a TSR on it for a while, but obviously now they believe it needs to be replaced ASAP.

Affected trackwork is presumably where the Metrolink tram tracks cross Portland Street in the City Centre, more or less at right angles, this on the section between Piccadilly Gardens and Piccadilly station.

Wonder whether this section of trackwork has ever previously been replaced / renewed since the Metrolink network first opened in the early 1990s?

It’s not quite on the road crossing, rather it’s alongside the ramp up onto the platforms.

1CC was replaced in its entirety around 2006-2007, so yes it has been.

It seems that the Victoria cracked rail issue may be resolved after 6 May. I read some news articles (including this) that seem to confirm that services could resume fully on the 2CC in early May.
More info

Victoria engineering works​

Monday 6 May​

No trams will operate through Victoria on Monday 6 May as engineering works take place.
The Bury, Rochdale, East Didsbury and Airport lines will be affected, and bus replacement services will be in operation between affected stops.

Also interesting that the final checks are being done on a weekday...

The weekday that so happens to be the Early May Bank Holiday.
I think that's no coincidence.
Oh wow, I really didn't notice that
edit: I guess it's because I was also confused when the TfGM website accidentally set the date to 1 April, also a Monday, but now I realise that was Easter Monday. They're trying to get the work completed on a public holiday it seems to cause the least amount of disruption.

Last edited: