• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester Piccadilly driver special

Status
Not open for further replies.

TOCDriver

I'm amazed somebody got away with this

(image shows a Northern Rail DMU right up to the buffers at Manchester Piccadilly)

Attachments

• BObxY_4CcAAsn0T.jpg large.jpg
    BObxY_4CcAAsn0T.jpg large.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 401
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tomnick

Established Member
I suppose it depends how you define "got away with it"...?

tsr

Established Member
Knowing who did it would help but nobody knows, believe it or not

Erm, how so? Surely the unit can be traced back to its last working, and the driver of that working located? Unless the photo is being circulated without any time/date details, but then again there will probably be data in the image file to reveal this.

A train can't just arrive without someone, somewhere knowing how, or else a digital source. This is not a model railway run by a 5-year-old...

Now, I'm not saying the information should be revealed in public.

Last edited:

Starmill

Veteran Member
I have seen less than a metre at Manchester before... I was waiting for a front train to arrive I think, and said to a passing dispatcher

'That's a bit close isn't it?'

She just rolled her eyes and shrugged.

Not quite that though!

1e10

Erm, how so? Surely the unit can be traced back to its last working, and the driver of that working located? Unless the photo is being circulated without any time/date details, but then again there will probably be data in the image file to reveal this.

A train can't just arrive without someone, somewhere knowing how, or else a digital source. This is not a model railway run by a 5-year-old...

Now, I'm not saying the information should be revealed in public.

Just checked, nothing.

ilkestonian

I'm amazed somebody got away with this

(image shows a Northern Rail DMU right up to the buffers at Manchester Piccadilly)

I don't think it's up to the buffers.

If its the incident I believe it was, the train pushed the buffers back, but didn't itself suffer any discernible damage.

Not sure about the idea someone got away with anything, I thought the incident occurred during a splitting operation, though not 100% sure, and I understood the driver was mortified, as he was a top notch old school chap who had an inexplicable lapse.

Tomnick

Established Member
Knowing who did it would help but nobody knows, believe it or not
Really?! Discussion elsewhere on t'internet (neither here nor there being reliable sources, of course!) suggests that's not the case - indeed, you'd do well to run into the stops at a busy terminus without someone noticing it and reporting it...like the Northern chap in the background in the photo??

TOCDriver

Really?! Discussion elsewhere on t'internet (neither here nor there being reliable sources, of course!) suggests that's not the case - indeed, you'd do well to run into the stops at a busy terminus without someone noticing it and reporting it...like the Northern chap in the background in the photo??

Glad to see you have the time to read up on internet gossip, Tomnick! Wish I had the time or inclination to do so! :)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
You were that amazed you posted it on here to ensure they didn't ?

Oh, pleeeeeeeeeeease! lol

Have a look at the set of buffers in the background of the photo and you'll see that this set had been pushed back about 6 foot.

Worry not its already being thoroughly investigated.

Eagle

Established Member
The briefest of glances at the version which is downloadable does show that on the face of it you are correct. Good thing I used the qualifier "probably"...

But it's still possible to determine the time. You can tell which platform it's in from the picture, and I'm sure that that specific unit will not have been in that specific platform too many times today.

Established Member
Have a look at the set of buffers in the background of the photo and you'll see that this set had been pushed back about 6 foot.

Worry not its already being thoroughly investigated.

It seems pretty obvious that they've been shunted.

You never know, perhaps the driver managed to sneak them back without anybody noticing. ;)

Last edited:

Silv1983

If its the incident I think it is: it happened last week (I know it involved a 156). The buffers are clearly set back further than the ones on the adjacent line, and the gantry door walkway is compressed at the bottom. As for the coupler - no sign of that. All the collision alarms sounded and the driver and Northern are well aware of the situation. The unit was empty - being split for service - hence no injuries or compensation issues (if you exclude network rail!).

Status
Not open for further replies.