• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester Piccadilly Old Entrance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It went straight up to the through island at the Platform 13 end. It's no longer accessible, though I don't know if the platform-level building remains. ISTR it had some interesting railway murals in it. Reason it closed was that it was replaced with the big Fairfield St entrance, and it was a revenue protection nightmare as you could near enough always use it to escape P13/14 without passing any kind of check. (I half recall there being an old Quickfare at the bottom, though, or maybe it was at platform level).

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
It went straight up to the through island at the Platform 13 end. It's no longer accessible, though I don't know if the platform-level building remains. ISTR it had some interesting railway murals in it. Reason it closed was that it was replaced with the big Fairfield St entrance, and it was a revenue protection nightmare as you could near enough always use it to escape P13/14 without passing any kind of check. (I half recall there being an old Quickfare at the bottom, though, or maybe it was at platform level).

It's still available as an emergency exit from platforms 13/14 but secured with alarmed push-through doors.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member

Meanwhile, if you now use the lift from P13/14 concourse down to Fairfield St you will still not pass a barrier, I don't believe.
Not now the checks are at the main concourse.
I use it as a quicker/quieter way to reach the trams.

Elecman

Established Member
The gestapo are often outside the lift on Fairfield street catching people who try to avoid the main barrier checks

Bevan Price

Established Member
was is something to do with access to Manchester Mayfield station?

No. The footbridge used to extend from Piccadilly across Fairfield St. into Mayfield station (in addition to the former street level entrance to Mayfield.)

Red18

The gestapo are often outside the lift on Fairfield street catching people who try to avoid the main barrier checks

Well that's a ridiculous thing to say, not to mention highly offensive !

You don't happen to be one of the fare dodgers do you?
Your comment certainly makes it appear so.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I seem to remember another entrance off a dark flight of stairs from Store Street, also a barbers and toilets downstairs from the main concourse.

HLE

Established Member

A bit of humour is how I see it, rather than trying to be offensive......have you never watched the great escape?

snail

Established Member
I seem to remember another entrance off a dark flight of stairs from Store Street, also a barbers and toilets downstairs from the main concourse.
I think that just deposited you at the old main entrance, roughly where WH Smiths is now.

Red18

A bit of humour is how I see it, rather than trying to be offensive......have you never watched the great escape?

Yup, every day.
So why not insult the fare evaders rather than the staff employed to try and stop them.
To refer to them as Gestapo is not really funny is it?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I think that just deposited you at the old main entrance, roughly where WH Smiths is now.

It did indeed. The urinals downstairs had a unique "problem" in that not only was it necessary to select one without someone next to it, there was also the danger of someone facing you over the top as there was a central island.

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member

It did indeed. The urinals downstairs had a unique "problem" in that not only was it necessary to select one without someone next to it, there was also the danger of someone facing you over the top as there was a central island.

My recollection of the Store Street entrance is that the top of the stairs was roughly where the Virgin Customer Reception desk is now, opposite platforms 1 and 2. One of us is clearly wrong. Once upon a time on a another now defunct forum someone did post a series of photos of the old concourse which showed exactly the features we are discussing now; it would be great if those magically appeared here!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
There used to be stairs next to the old little chef before piccadilly was revamped, but cant remember much has i was young.

I think those went to Store St. Don't think I ever went down there, it looked immensely dodgy.

The barbers and gents were a different set of stairs, as someone said upthread these were about where the Virgin reception is now. They didn't go down very far, just to below floor level for the bogs.

rebmcr

Established Member
So why not insult the fare evaders rather than the staff employed to try and stop them.

As they have generally been Group 4 agency goons, who have tended to treat everyone as 'guilty until proven innocent', the comparison begins to appear fairly apt.

Mugby

Established Member

It may not be really funny but have you seen some of the ticket checkers at Piccadilly, particularly the Northern ones?
They've been described on these boards several times as coming from a third rate, rent-a-thug security company.

And from my observations, that sounds fairly accurate.

HLE

Established Member
Yup, every day.

As others have stated previously, their manner and how they go about their business is where some would draw a wee comparison to the gestapo.

Ships

Having been on the receiving end of their shenanigans, I find the comparison apt.

Elecman

Established Member

No I am not I work in the industry and often have to go out of my way to convince guards to sell me tickets when travelling in my "uniform" as they often just say, oh your staff you don't need a ticket!!

if you can't understand humour perhaps you shouldn't have replied, plenty of other posters have confirmed the humour and the nature of the "staff" involved.

As for fare dodgers I have pointed enough of those out to guards/ RPIs to show where my loyalties lie within the issue.

LowLevel

Established Member
I'm a guard for a different TOC who works through their area. A small minority are great. Far more are a pain who don't really know their business (unsurprising and generally not the fault of the individual).

Joseph_Locke

Established Member
Within earshot of trains passing the one and half
For the sake of balance: I use both Victoria and Picc every working day and apart from Grumpy at Victoria (who just doesn't smile - he's pleasant enough) the staff I interact with are quite professional and helpful, though not on a par with the evangelist in the ticket office at Picc who seemed to have to concentrate to stop himself offering to shine my shoes ...

headshot119

Established Member
Yup, every day.

When they are properly trained, treat me like a customer rather than a criminal I'll have more respect for them. Until them Gestapo isn't short of the mark.

Signal Head

My recollection of the Store Street entrance is that the top of the stairs was roughly where the Virgin Customer Reception desk is now, opposite platforms 1 and 2. One of us is clearly wrong.

And I'm afraid it's you. ;)

Store Street steps were outside the station, next to the Little Chef. The top half was at a right angle to the platforms. It'll be somewhere roughly under Boots I think.

We used this to access Rail House at weekends when the 2nd floor access from the car park was closed. I was half-way down these steps on 15th June 96, when the IRA had a go at redeveloping the Arndale Centre , as the blast caused a strong rush of air upwards.

[edit]
I found this on Wikipedia:

Manchester_Picadilly_1989_827033.jpg

The entrance to Store St steps was directly behind the yellow BR van (the tiled section of wall which protrudes from the rest of the building). It's further to the right than I remembered, and the station entrance moved to the left in the 2002 rebuild, which would put the steps somewhere under the current WH Smiths, rather than Boots as I said.

Last edited:

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Meanwhile, if you now use the lift from P13/14 concourse down to Fairfield St you will still not pass a barrier, I don't believe.
Not now the checks are at the main concourse.
I use it as a quicker/quieter way to reach the trams.

Handy to know actually, I've always gone up the escalators to the main footbridge, down the travellator along platform 10/11, out through main entrance and down to Metrolink on the left!

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
And I'm afraid it's you. ;)

Store Street steps were outside the station, next to the Little Chef. The top half was at a right angle to the platforms. It'll be somewhere roughly under Boots I think.

[edit]
I found this on Wikipedia:

Manchester_Picadilly_1989_827033.jpg

The entrance to Store St steps was directly behind the yellow BR van (the tiled section of wall which protrudes from the rest of the building). It's further to the right than I remembered, and the station entrance moved to the left in the 2002 rebuild, which would put the steps somewhere under the current WH Smiths, rather than Boots as I said.

No problem. The picture is a great memory jogger. Like you I also hadn't appreciated just how much the main entrance effectively moved towards the city centre. For anyone not convinced note the tops of the train sheds visible above the entrance block.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Yup, every day.

Actually the TPE RPOs acknowledge the nickname on account of their thick and heavy trench coats. They dont see any offence in the term being used about them...

Status
Not open for further replies.