• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester - Staines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anon Mouse

Established Member
Just judging peoples opinion really. From Manchester to Staines there are 2 tickets a 'Route Any Permitted' and 'Route London'. Now I am 100% sure that the cheaper 'Any Permitted' is valid via London and that its just an anomality however a friend of mine was told that it was not valid via London and that he had to buy a ticket 'Route London'. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Both tickets are perfectly valid via London.

Virgin obviously don't want the cheaper Any Permitted to be valid via London and may kick up a fuss. NRE does not show it as valid via London (ditto Manchester-Reading/Oxford) which I consider a bit suspicious.

JamesRowden

Established Member
According to the Southern Journey Planner the 'Any' ticket is not valid via London Euston but is valid via Oxford changing at Reading.

Last edited:

soil

Established Member
Manchester - Oxford Any Permitted is also valid to Staines, but only via London.

A fair bit cheaper, too.

Lampshade

Established Member
Any Permitted is valid via Birmingham/Oxford to Reading, then via Ascot. I think it's also valid via Watford Junction - Willesden Junction - Clapham Junction, then via Richmond.

+LONDON is valid to and across London.

soil

Established Member
Any Permitted is valid via Birmingham/Oxford to Reading, then via Ascot. I think it's also valid via Watford Junction - Willesden Junction - Clapham Junction, then via Richmond.

+LONDON is valid to and across London.

Now really, no need to 'I think' on this.

http://www.atoc.org/clientfiles/File/permitted_route_identifier (version RGL WGN amended 140213).pdf

Manchester Group Staines LONDON CS+WX GM+CS+WX GM+MA+CS+WX GM+MA+WX MA+CS+WX
MA+WX

LONDON means you may travel by permitted routes from Manchester to London, across London by tube, and then by permitted routes from London to Staines.

Simple.....

The +LONDON ticket is an error, which presumes that Manchester - Staines is not already valid via London.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Since this crops up quite regularly, does anyone know the history of these flows from Manchester? Is the Any Permitted somehow protected which is why it's not been changed to a specific routeing - it seems an unlikely oversight that fares from Manchester haven't changed whilst from Stockport, Crewe etc they are all Not Via London (or equivalent) or +Via London only.

Anon Mouse

Established Member
Both tickets are perfectly valid via London.

Virgin obviously don't want the cheaper Any Permitted to be valid via London and may kick up a fuss. NRE does not show it as valid via London (ditto Manchester-Reading/Oxford) which I consider a bit suspicious.

Thats what I thought. I never thought of the Manchester - Oxford option too. I'm surprised the ticket types are not 'Any Permitted' and 'Not London' but VT should not be kicking up a fuss (if they do) but a VT ticket office clerk would not sell him it (asked him if he was travelling via London) and instead sold him a 'via London'. Also changing at London is just as logical as changing at Reading and probably (I've never checked) quicker than changing at Reading. Its certainly not a route I would flag up as 'unusual' or 'suspicious', its not as if he was trying to go a daft route!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Now really, no need to 'I think' on this.

http://www.atoc.org/clientfiles/File/permitted_route_identifier (version RGL WGN amended 140213).pdf

Manchester Group Staines LONDON CS+WX GM+CS+WX GM+MA+CS+WX GM+MA+WX MA+CS+WX
MA+WX

LONDON means you may travel by permitted routes from Manchester to London, across London by tube, and then by permitted routes from London to Staines.

Simple.....

The +LONDON ticket is an error, which presumes that Manchester - Staines is not already valid via London.

I see, so perfectly valid but ommited on journey plans due to there being a +LONDON option, that makes a lot of sense. I suppose another give away would be if there is a 'Maltese Cross' on the 'Any Permitted' ticket

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.