• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Map of UK showing railway networks circa 1950s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riordans3

Hello.

I'm trying to get hold of a poster size map of UK showing the railway networks when they were at their peak -- not sure when that was exactly, but hoping to source a framed reproduction for my husbands birthday in a couple of weeks time… Yes, I've left it too late probably!

with thanks for reading & best wishes,

Karen

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

deltic

Established Member
Possible source is ebay - see for example http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-B...599?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3aae211427 only 4.99 - you would obviously need to get it framed and condition may not be perfect - but worth browsing ebay as it will show you what is available.

The railways were at the peak in the 1920s but as the railways were then owned by regional companies maps tended to cover just the regions with only sparse information shown elsewhere

Last edited:

Diplodicus

The National Rail Museum in York might be a good place. They sell a variety of vintage posters?

Riordans3

Thanks so much everyone. I'm going to try your suggestions now. Many thanks, Karen

yorksrob

Veteran Member
There's a British Rail pre-grouping atlas and gazetteer that's very good. It shows the railways in about 1920 when they were at their height.

Springs Branch

Established Member
This was the first thing that came up on Google. There are 4 photos that would reproduce well as a poster or on canvas.

http://www.railblue.com/pages/Related Rail Blue Info/netmap56/netmap562.htm
Unfortunately clicking any of those photos to download or save brings up a copyright warning saying the images cannot be downloaded or reproduced without the express permission of the copyright owner. Not to say it can't be done, just that you will need the copyright owner's permission

Riordans3

Thanks everyone. I've bought the 1958 vintage map, thanks deltic. I might investigate the copyright permissions on the Passenger Network map as it would look great framed. Thanks all and I'll keep checking if anyone else offers suggestions.

Best,
Karen
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It's called Railway Atlas then & now, published by Ian Allan, very good book which i have a copy off.

It does look a lovely publication and there's a new edition just published! Thank you.
:)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
There's a British Rail pre-grouping atlas and gazetteer that's very good. It shows the railways in about 1920 when they were at their height.

Thank you!

gazthomas

Established Member
Unfortunately clicking any of those photos to download or save brings up a copyright warning saying the images cannot be downloaded or reproduced without the express permission of the copyright owner. Not to say it can't be done, just that you will need the copyright owner's permission

Fair point, thanks.

Bevan Price

Established Member
The BR passenger network map also appears in old passenger timetables - if you can find a timetable for sale at reasonable price, you could use the map therein.

Incidentally, I think that copyright (if any) of the map (including copies) resides with whoever is the current successor of BR. (It used to be the residuary board, but I am unsure if that still exists.)

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The BRB have been abolished since the end of 2013 and Department for Transport as far as I'm aware hold copyrights and similar (brands and livery's for example). Actually I think they held them since BR was wound up.

Status
Not open for further replies.