• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Marston Vale line

Status
Not open for further replies.

MML

Recently reported in the Modern Railways magazine that the hourly service between Bedford and Bletchley is likely to be operated solely by two Class 153 units when London Midland sends Class 150 off-lease to Northern.

Reportly concern raised from locals that the capacity will be insufficient at peak times.

I wonder whether three Class 153 could be introduced instead.
1. It would permit a 30 minute interval service for most of the day.
2. It would permit an hourly service to be introduced on Sundays (part of the new franchise commitment). One unit could be stabled for maintenance.
3. It would permit at least an hourly service to be operated should one of the three units become defective.

Or perhaps 3 two-car Class 230 could be the answer with maintenance facilities at Bletchley ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

A0wen

On Moderation
Recently reported in the Modern Railways magazine that the hourly service between Bedford and Bletchley is likely to be operated solely by two Class 153 units when London Midland sends Class 150 off-lease to Northern.

Reportly concern raised from locals that the capacity will be insufficient at peak times.

2. It would permit an hourly service to be introduced on Sundays (part of the new franchise commitment). One unit could be stabled for maintenance.
3. It would permit at least an hourly service to be operated should one of the three units become defective.

Or perhaps 3 two-car Class 230 could be the answer with maintenance facilities at Bletchley ?

There isn't the demand for a half hourly service on that line. A clockface hourly service would be better.

Currently, apart from a couple of trips, those two DMUs are carting fresh air between Bedford and Bletchley.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

I think this would be optimal - more capacity, the Tube standee layout perfect for quiet trains (seats for everyone) and busy school trains (tons of standing room), more reliability. And only needed short-term until EWR and wires.

A better fit for the 230 I can barely think of.

TheBigD

Established Member
I think this would be optimal - more capacity, the Tube standee layout perfect for quiet trains (seats for everyone) and busy school trains (tons of standing room), more reliability. And only needed short-term until EWR and wires

Given that Oxford wiring has been postponed/deferred I doubt very much the EWR wiring will happen for a decade or most likely 2 or more...

DarloRich

Veteran Member
There isn't the demand for a half hourly service on that line. A clockface hourly service would be better.

Currently, apart from a couple of trips, those two DMUs are carting fresh air between Bedford and Bletchley.

no they aren't. The "peak" time trains are getting busy. I have used the line every day (except Sunday when we don;t have a service) for over 6 years and numbers are growing.

better London connections at Bletchley are growing the numbers of through commuters and more and more MK based people are using the train. The connections north are now the main timetabling challenge.

There is lots of new housing in the vale with LOADS more to come. Amazon at Ridgmont drives lots of customers especially at shift change. Even my station at Fenny has gone form me alone most days to 5 or 6 regulars. It is the same along the line.

While you are right the numbers wont support a half hourly service to suggest it is empty much of the day simply isnt true.

That will be very bad for our service and will put at risk all the recent increases in passenger numbers. The 153 can not cope with the timetable as it is and is almost always late.

Being a rural line lots of people cycle to the stations. Loading and unloading bikes and buggies via the 90 degree end doors takes ages causes delay. Delay means missed connections and an interminable wait at Blethcley. it is a brave gaurd who sticks to the 3 bikes rule leaving someone in the middle of nowhere for an hour.

Reliability wise the 153's are less good than the 150 and many of them are rotten inside.

it will be. It is also worth noting 2 x 153 wont fit in many of the platforms.

I think we will end up with the tube train things until either E-W is complete or 2345 whichever comes sooner

I think this would be optimal - more capacity, the Tube standee layout perfect for quiet trains (seats for everyone) and busy school trains (tons of standing room), more reliability. And only needed short-term until EWR and wires.

We don't want standing room on a 40 minute journey from Blethcley to Bedford! We want seats and a reliable train. Mind you the current the units over the last few weeks have been awful reliability wise. Anyone know where we can get a DBSO and a MKii open and a small loco? ;)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
We don't want standing room on a 40 minute journey from Blethcley to Bedford! We want seats and a reliable train. Mind you the current the units over the last few weeks have been awful reliability wise. Anyone know where we can get a DBSO and a MKii open and a small loco? ;)

Cheaper DMUs could mean a third train, though?

I suppose you could just extend the platforms and use 2x153 on the busy services.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
EWR will almost certainly result in the stopping service, assuming it is retained, being operated by a 4x20m EMU (as there are barely any shorter ones in the South East - and there are no UK 2x20m EMUs at all). Or if it isn't electrified, the bare minimum will be a 2x23m DMU. So perhaps extensions could be done in preparation for that.

Though I suppose the EMUs could use SDO, it seems unlikely.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
it could mean that indeed. What joy.

I know you don't like the idea of 230s, but the reliability improvement by having a spare DMU at Bletchley would be significant. Rather a basic train I can rely on than a posh one (if you'd call a 153 that) I can't.

Three e-Pacers would also do. The key thing is that there are three of them all based permanently at Bletchley, and that each one is bigger than a 153.

FWIW, regarding connections north, a Sunday service is sorely needed. Routeing to the east Midlands via Bedford for a weekend (say) is unworkable without it.

And if they extended to MKC as was promised years ago, I expect passenger numbers would increase far further.

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Nowhere, given how much DBSOs are in demand right now.

Humour dear boy. Humour ;)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I know you don't like the idea of 230s, but the reliability improvement by having a spare DMU at Bletchley would be significant. Rather a basic train I can rely on than a posh one (if you'd call a 153 that) I can't.

Three e-Pacers would also do. The key thing is that there are three of them all based permanently at Bletchley, and that each one is bigger than a 153.

FWIW, regarding connections north, a Sunday service is sorely needed. Routeing to the east Midlands via Bedford for a weekend (say) is unworkable without it.

And if they extended to MKC as was promised years ago, I expect passenger numbers would increase far further.

I have said since I moved here that the line is ideal for pacers and the only reason we haven't got them is the fact it "lives" in rural, leafy, well heeled Buckinghamshire.

I think we will end up with tube trains which might improve reliability (although infrastructure issues are a big problem) but wont improve passenger journey satisfaction

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I think we will end up with tube trains which might improve reliability (although infrastructure issues are a big problem) but wont improve passenger journey satisfaction

Given that the 150s have very poor comfort levels (3+2 seating with tight legroom in airline formation), I genuinely think they might be an improvement at most times of day (albeit not in the peak where more will end up standing). 153s are at least 2+2 but only suit amputees - the 6 people who get the tables to themselves will be happy, but nobody else. And the 153s are unreliable - if I used the line regularly, it's the unreliability that would bother me.

Status
Not open for further replies.