• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Matt Hancock "Important Statement" 5pm 16/7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
So schools could go back in Leicester if only they weren't breaking for summer holidays.:D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richw

Veteran Member
Hancock says schools and nurseries can reopen in Leicester from 24 July.

Leicester city council has their school holidays listed as The following on their term time planner, so presumably they won’t reopen yet

Summer Holidays13 Jul 2020
(Mon)
25 Aug 2020
(Tue)

Howardh

Established Member
So schools could go back in Leicester if only they weren't breaking for summer holidays.:D
If memory serves, in the past schools in Lancashire used to finish mid-June and be returning at the start of August, whereas those around me were just about beginning the "six weeks" an going back mid-September. That means a teacher changing jobs could, under the right sircumstances, have either no holiday at all, or 12 weeks holiday!!

No idea if there's now a nationwide holiday pattern where most pupils are on holiday from now until sept?

BJames

Established Member
If memory serves, in the past schools in Lancashire used to finish mid-June and be returning at the start of August, whereas those around me were just about beginning the "six weeks" an going back mid-September. That means a teacher changing jobs could, under the right sircumstances, have either no holiday at all, or 12 weeks holiday!!

No idea if there's now a nationwide holiday pattern where most pupils are on holiday from now until sept?
Generally, schools (especially round me in North London) break up around the 20-22nd July and return in the first week of September (usually between the 2nd-6th, with maybe the first one or two days of the term often used for teacher training). I do know however that one of my local schools is closing tomorrow until September. I would expect most schools in England (Scotland follows a different pattern and schools return in August) to close in the next week and remain closed until the first week of September.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Generally, schools (especially round me in North London) break up around the 20-22nd July and return in the first week of September (usually between the 2nd-6th, with maybe the first one or two days of the term often used for teacher training). I do know however that one of my local schools is closing tomorrow until September. I would expect most schools in England (Scotland follows a different pattern and schools return in August) to close in the next week and remain closed until the first week of September.

Stockport and Tameside primaries would be in until the 31st because they would ordinarily have two weeks off late-May and early-June for Whitsun.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Leicester city council has their school holidays listed as The following on their term time planner, so presumably they won’t reopen yet

That's quite early, normally in England return isn't until early September. That's more like Scottish dates. Is that normal in Leicester?

That must be a long time in the past, it was always the standard for me (born 1979).

Howardh

Established Member
That's quite early, normally in England return isn't until early September. That's more like Scottish dates. Is that normal in Leicester?

That must be a long time in the past, it was always the standard for me (born 1979).
Indeed. Up here we used to follow "Waikes Week" where we broke up for two weeks at the end of June, went back fro three and then were off for five or six. A bizarre situation where zero work got done in the three-weeks we were back! Think that's all finished now and my town follows a different pattern.

But as I recall, my dad loved the two weeks starting the end of June; camp sites, hotels etc always had room, generally good weather and that was the main family holiday.

jfollows

Established Member
I found part of his statement insulting:
Matt Hancock

The shadow Secretary of State said this, and the hon. Lady is now trying again. On 16 March, I said to this House—and it was welcomed by the shadow Secretary of State—

Liz Kendall (Leicester West) (Lab)

Orwellian!

Madam Deputy Speaker (Dame Eleanor Laing)

Order. Do not shout at the Secretary of State. He is answering the question.

Matt Hancock

Thank you. What I said on 16 March was:

“Today, we are advising people against all unnecessary social contact with others and all unnecessary travel.”—[Official Report, 16 March 2020; Vol. 673, c. 697.]

That is when the lockdown truly started.
Insulting because on March 16th. the government was advised by Sage to impose a "lockdown", but in fact it took a further week before it took place, on March 23rd.
Insulting because I decided on March 16th. to impose my own lockdown on myself, in light of what I knew. That's not because I'm clever, perhaps because I'm cautious, but I remember the date.
But the "lockdown" in real terms didn't start on March 16th. Hancock is attempting to rewrite history to paint him and his government in a more positive light than it deserves.

richw

Veteran Member
Since a few years ago English local authorities have had more control of dates. Some have moved their traditional holidays to assist families getting lower priced holidays. Apparently it’s seen a huge drop in term time holidays in those areas that have moved it by more than a week or two

Status
Not open for further replies.