• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Maximum speed possible with conventional railway technology

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike57

Established Member
I know this has been discussed before, and various answers have been put forward.

I realise that rocket power, maglev, and possibly linear motors may allow far higher speeds, but what I am interested in is what could be acheived with the current technology.

So to set the parameters:
  • Wheel driven
  • Steel wheel on steel rail
  • Standard gauge
  • Power fed by overhead catenary
  • Capable of carrying pasengers in safety and comfort, and lets say at least 100 passengers
  • Travelling trough normal terrain, with no vacuum tube or similar.
As I see it there are the following things which might limit the maximum possible speed:
  • Adhesion of wheel/rail interface, at some point putting more power in will just result in wheel slip
  • Ability of the (I assume overhead catenary) to provide more power, voltage could be raised but that brings its own problems, so assume nomimal 25kV or maybe upto 50kV which I think has been used in South Africa.
  • Surface heating due to air friction
  • Braking ability (... in safety...)
  • Aerodynamics
There may be other things as well

So the question, how fast could a convential rail vehicle travel travel, obviously the French have set the record at 357mph/574kph, and that record required a specially prepared trainset, but it was a set of 'conventional' rail vehicles according to the parameters. So how close to the physical limits for the technology were they.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Irascible

Established Member
I would think the limit would be capped by adhesion, unltimately. You could keep a train on the rails with active aerodynamics & suspension, but at some point you're just not going to be able to put enough torque down. Aero drag scales up horribly over somewhere around 210mph or so ( if I'm remembering distant lessons properly ) so I'm pretty impressed the French got as far as they have.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.