• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

May 17 timetable changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotrail88

As we approach the next timetable revision, is anybody aware of what is proposed / being introduced?
Particularly interested in Scotland due to my location

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I can't help with Scotland but more generally there's a couple that come to mind:

- On VTEC, Kings Cross-Leeds goes fully half-hourly on Saturdays;
- Cambridge North opens, which sees one of the GA and the GN all shacks services starting back from there, and the current Kings Cross-Cambridge fast knocked through to Ely, calling at North also. The Cambridge-Norwich trains also call, but the Kings Lynn and XC services do not.

Melancholia

If all goes according to plan this Sunday, after powering on Airport Jn - Maidenhead, some peak time Maidenhead terminators will be replaced by Class 387s.

dk1

Veteran Member
I can't help with Scotland but more generally there's a couple that come to mind:

- On VTEC, Kings Cross-Leeds goes fully half-hourly on Saturdays;
- Cambridge North opens, which sees one of the GA and the GN all shacks services starting back from there, and the current Kings Cross-Cambridge fast knocked through to Ely, calling at North also. The Cambridge-Norwich trains also call, but the Kings Lynn and XC services do not.

And very popular I see this station becoming. I would imagine XC will rethink the call in the same way EMT did later with Liverpool South Parkway a few years ago.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Aren't Ilkeston and Low Moor due to open?

Edit: Ilkeston looks like it will be open sooner.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
If all goes according to plan this Sunday, after powering on Airport Jn - Maidenhead, some peak time Maidenhead terminators will be replaced by Class 387s.

That isn't actually a timetable change though, is it? As has been discussed in the 387 introduction threads, the minor timetable alterations to allow for the intended peak EMU services have already been put in place since January.

AlanFry1

TfL Rail Timetables are up now for the period after 21st May 2017 when they serve Shenfield again.

http://content.tfl.gov.uk/tfl-rail-condensed-timetable-21-may-to-9-dec-2017.pdf

Interesting to see they are introducing semi-fast/fast Gidea Park down services in the AM peak rather than them running ECS as they currently operate. This mirrors what already happens in the up direction in the PM peak.

It's a good move though. What a lot of people forget is that rush hour isn't always getting into the capital, for many its getting out. A lot of school kids use the trains on the slows on the GEML in the morning, and having 12tph rather than 6 on the lines in service is a good move considering barely anything fast stops at Romford also. I think it's a little odd as to why it doesn't call at Seven Kings-Chadwell Heath but I'd assume that's to make up time for lengthily delays in the morning which are often, or something for Crossrail to practise on for the future.

FenMan

Established Member
Comparison tool for w/c Monday 3rd April and Monday 5th June...

https://live-departures.info/rail/timetable-comparison/

The information doesn't look to be complete. If it is, then there's going to be a dramatic reduction in peak trains calling at my local station, including no weekday departures arriving at Gatwick Airport before 09:00!*

*In the current timetable the first service to Gatwick arrives at 05:55.

RailAleFan

The information doesn't look to be complete. If it is, then there's going to be a dramatic reduction in peak trains calling at my local station, including no weekday departures arriving at Gatwick Airport before 09:00!*

*In the current timetable the first service to Gatwick arrives at 05:55.

Hmm, sorry about that. I pushed an update to F471 which included the services I think you found to be missing but there is now a different anomaly (most likely my interpretation of the data) with those same services so I have taken the tool down until my import corresponds with NRE which isn't (quite) yet available for w/c Monday 5th June.

Last edited by a moderator:

FenMan

Established Member
Hmm, sorry about that. I pushed an update to F471 which included the services I think you found to be missing but there is now a different anomaly (most likely my interpretation of the data) with those same services so I have taken the tool down until my import corresponds with NRE which isn't (quite) yet available for w/c Monday 5th June.

Thanks. Keep up the good work!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
The Marston Vale time table is changing in what I think is a stupid way.

The early trains are being moved slightly to give a connection into the 0700 Coventry to Euston train from Bletchley & the 0706 to East Corydon (catering for those important Stewartby - Clapham commuters !) despite the current arrangement offering a sensible connection into the 0713 Bletchley to Euston train. A train upon which seats are always available!

Most passengers on the line now travel to MK and they are being inconvenienced to offer the few who go to London more choice. This will retard passenger numbers on the line as MK passengers will have to wait from 0653 until 0716 for the train to MK.

That means a 1 hour 10 minute journey time from Bedford to MKC instead of the current 55 minutes. A car journey at that time takes less than 30 minutes and doesn't mean a wait in the Bletchley station micro climate.

Well done LM! ( insert slow hand clap icon here)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The Marston Vale time table is changing in what I think is a stupid way.

The early trains are being moved slightly to give a connection into the 0700 Coventry to Euston train from Bletchley & the 0706 to East Corydon (catering for those important Stewartby - Clapham commuters !) despite the current arrangement offering a sensible connection into the 0713 Bletchley to Euston train. A train upon which seats are always available!

Could this be because that train is presently rather unreliable due to 319 problems?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Could this be because that train is presently rather unreliable due to 319 problems?

it could be but I doubt it - it tends to run most of the time. I am sure it will be dressed up as trying to attract more London commuters but it is at the risk of pushing away existing commuters to MK

20 minutes at Bletchley is never an enticing prospect, even less at 0700!

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
The Twyford to Henley on Thames timetable moves to a half-hourly off peak interval with alternate services skipping Wargrave. (Previously 45-min SX / hourly weekends.)

On Saturday nights the late evening service on the Exeter-Paignton line is improved, including a new connection at Newton Abbot off the 2006 from Paddington.

Starmill

Veteran Member
it could be but I doubt it - it tends to run most of the time. I am sure it will be dressed up as trying to attract more London commuters but it is at the risk of pushing away existing commuters to MK

20 minutes at Bletchley is never an enticing prospect, even less at 0700!

My guess is that it is more because the 0700 from Bletchley gets passengers from the Marston Vale line to London at 0739. The 0713 does not get there until 0805. I suspect that 26 minute saving will prove popular with those who go that way.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
My guess is that it is more because the 0700 from Bletchley gets passengers from the Marston Vale line to London at 0739. The 0713 does not get there until 0805. I suspect that 26 minute saving will prove popular with those who go that way.

the point missed is that there are now less London commuters than there are MK commuters!

wls1

c2c will continue their saga of destroying the best London commuter service. No changes yet for the public but they eventually end up on RTT before their released to the public. Their on the 10th version of the 2015 December timetable in just over a year of it being implemented.

kieron

Established Member
the point missed is that there are now less London commuters than there are MK commuters!
Do you have a source for this? It sounds as though you're citing a study of some sort, but it's difficult to tell how seriously to take your concerns without knowing what it looked at or found.

GW43125

Established Member
A quick look at RTT suggests SWT have withdrawn the last Alton-London train (1A80) with the stock running to Farnham depot, making the last service the 2215 (1A78)

JonathanH

Veteran Member
A quick look at RTT suggests SWT have withdrawn the last Alton-London train (1A80) with the stock running to Farnham depot, making the last service the 2215 (1A78)

It is fairly common for late trains to be missing from timetables at this point because of uncertainties about engineering possessions etc. It doesn't look like 1A67 has a balancing working on RTT at the moment after the timetable change. It is 1A71 (the 2310 arrival at Alton) that already runs as 5A72 back to Farnham depot.

I suspect 1A80 isn't being cut.

RailAleFan

Thanks. Keep up the good work!

NRE can now be queried for w/c 5th June and also shows what I don't quite understand so I've put the tool back online;

https://live-departures.info/rail/timetable-comparison/

There seem to be a number of "almost duplicate" services in the data (F478 - 11/03/17) for example GW 1V53 / 1V54 15:03 Gatwick Airport to Reading which can both be seen here;

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/timesandfares/GTW/RDG/050617/1500/dep

Calling pattern and timing is identical except for arrival time at Reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

berneyarms

Established Member
It is fairly common for late trains to be missing from timetables at this point because of uncertainties about engineering possessions etc. It doesn't look like 1A67 has a balancing working on RTT at the moment after the timetable change. It is 1A71 (the 2310 arrival at Alton) that already runs as 5A72 back to Farnham depot.

I suspect 1A80 isn't being cut.

Yes indeed - in advance of virtually every timetable change for the last few years we have had threads claiming trains are being cancelled based on realtime trains, when in fact they haven't been.

Take what you see currently with a degree of caution until the final timetable pdfs are published in April.

BMIFlyer

I believe TPE will run an extra train from Hull when the May 2017 timetable comes into force.

It leaves Hull at 2230 ish and calls at Brough, Selby, Leeds, Dewsbury and Manchester Victoria (0030).

GW43125

Established Member
Yes indeed - in advance of virtually every timetable change for the last few years we have had threads claiming trains are being cancelled based on realtime trains, when in fact they haven't been.

Take what you see currently with a degree of caution until the final timetable pdfs are published in April.

I'll let myself out.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
In addition to Grantham and Lincoln line improvements on Sundays in the East Midlands area, Matlock now gains an 0756 Derby to Matlock and 0838 Matlock to Nottingham all year around.

Grantham line services are also vastly improved in the September change when Skegness services are pared back with departures at 0815, 0915, 1000 and 1115 Nottingham to Grantham, and 0900, 1001, 1045 and 1201 from Grantham to Nottingham.

Status
Not open for further replies.