• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Maybe this isn't for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe20365

Hi,

I haven't been on here for a while, since I successfully got through Northern's application process. So, I really enjoyed the training programme, learned a lot, felt challenged and made some good friends. However, I've now started driving properly with a minder, and basically, I'm not happy.

- I don't like the job, I find it mind-numbingly tedious. I enjoyed driving at first but the novelty soon wore off, and now I spend the whole time clock watching (something I never thought possible).

- The shifts are awful. I'm either getting up at 3/4 in the morning and finishing early but being exhausted. Or starting later and finishing at midnight (so far this week I've gone 5 days without seeing my kids), and being exhausted.

If I'm honest the only thing keeping me in the job at the moment is the wage (or what it will rise to over the next few years), but so far I can't imagine doing this for another year, let alone the next 35 years.

I've spent my adult life doing **** jobs for **** pay, finally I have a job that pays well, and I cannot stand the job. What do I do? It's so hard to look past the wage, but that simply cannot be enough, can it?

I realise there is unlikely to be anyone who can relate to this on this section of the forum, but I just felt I needed to put this out there, perhaps get the opinion of some experienced drivers and if they have seen people quit the job, as it seems like very few do.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Safety

Hi,

I haven't been on here for a while, since I successfully got through Northern's application process. So, I really enjoyed the training programme, learned a lot, felt challenged and made some good friends. However, I've now started driving properly with a minder, and basically, I'm not happy.

- I don't like the job, I find it mind-numbingly tedious. I enjoyed driving at first but the novelty soon wore off, and now I spend the whole time clock watching (something I never thought possible).

- The shifts are awful. I'm either getting up at 3/4 in the morning and finishing early but being exhausted. Or starting later and finishing at midnight (so far this week I've gone 5 days without seeing my kids), and being exhausted.

If I'm honest the only thing keeping me in the job at the moment is the wage (or what it will rise to over the next few years), but so far I can't imagine doing this for another year, let alone the next 35 years.

I've spent my adult life doing **** jobs for **** pay, finally I have a job that pays well, and I cannot stand the job. What do I do? It's so hard to look past the wage, but that simply cannot be enough, can it?

I realise there is unlikely to be anyone who can relate to this on this section of the forum, but I just felt I needed to put this out there, perhaps get the opinion of some experienced drivers and if they have seen people quit the job, as it seems like very few do.

Stick with it! Once you have held the job down for a while then go for other railway jobs - you make friends for life on the railway who are even more important than the money! Good luck Joe!

Alan1310

Sorry to hear that mate
I love cycling and bikes and fixing or building them. I got a job in a bike shop while I was at college and hated it but now I am a nurse and miss working there

What depot you at Joe.

I found it took me 12 months to settle into the depot routine. Start having a crack with the other lads and generally know what I was doing. Once you get out there alone you'll probably find that the job becomes more satisfying as you have to think for yourself a little more. (Especially if you fail blocking the fast and slow at Stockport!!)

I'd stick with it pal. Silly season is about to start so that should see your bum hole twitching a little more (not sure if that excites you or not) finish your training and see how you feel.

Good luck though mate.

rmt4ever

People think it is a great job. A lot of people see the job now as just good £ and relatively secure, which is true. But it isn't for everyone! In fact I know very few drivers who really "love" the job, ok there are some, but not a lot. Most just get used to it, tolerate it, and adjust to it. I must admit getting up at 3.30am is hard, but finishing by 10am is pretty great. There are good things and bad things to shift work.

Basically driving trains is not a fairy tale dream job that most train spotters seem to think it is. It's mostly boring, mentally exhausting, lonely and destroys your social / family life to a certain degree.

Last edited by a moderator:

Simon11

Established Member
Hi,

Firstly set yourself a goal for how long you want to stay in the job and until then continue to work hard. After that period of time, then make a decision.

Some thoughts:
Once you get started, you can swop shifts with other drivers, so you can try to fit your life around your life/family.

The reasons that jobs pay well, is because the job is not easy or always enjoyable. As I climb the career ladder, pay goes up but so does the hours and responsibility. When people complain about the salary of the new NR boss, I'm glad I'm not in his shoes! Doesn't sound like a very easy job!

Last edited:

E&W Lucas

Established Member
Hi,

Train driving is monotonous; let's be quite clear about that. However, were't the other jobs that you did?
Look at the positives. Being out and about, rather than stuck in a building. Start taking an interest in the nature that you will see about you; the railway is a linear reserve. There are positives, if you look for them.

Shift work takes some getting used to. If you are tired, look at your sleep patterns. Try and sleep in one block, even if it means going to bed at 1900 for an early start, keep off caffeine (you will sleep a lot better), and eat foods that are easy to digest. Healthy eating gives you more energy.

Think about your kids too. You're earning a decent salary, gives them greater opportunities. Shift work can also be a bonus. Four rest days, midweek, during the school holidays - quality time with them, and enough cash earned for some great days out.

Give it time, my friend.

Last edited:

AeroSpace

I was once advised that if you enjoy your job 20% of the time, you're doing pretty well.

I fully agree with the advice above to set yourself a goal of say one year after which you will make a decision. By doing this you will remove any career choice worry from the day-to-day work, enabling you to relax a bit more.

This may or may not apply to you, but sometimes one can get into a cycle where feeling guilty about not liking the work makes the work even less desirable. One way to break this cycle is to remember that most of the time, it really is ok to not like what you are doing, and to save the evaluation to the end of the week where there is the warm glow of hindsight.

Well what to say to that I'd give my left b****** to be a driver but it will never happen now. Be thankful your not doing those shifts and dealing with punters, then you'd know what s*** job really is

Andrew32

Every job has its day mate and in time you will adjust to the role.

I have been messed around by a certain toc since June and if no jobs come up by March 2014 then all my hard work will be for nothing, so I wish I was in your position.

Hope it all works out in the end mate

Vicpaul

Shift work is something that you never will get used to only adjust to and I'm pretty sure you won't find easier work for the benefits you receive.

It may cone.across harsh but I can't help but feel you went into the job half arsed as your comments are based around the fundamental basics if being a train driver. Yes I detest getting up at 2:30am and sometimes not getting home until the same time, the monotony of the same destination several times a day and not seeing my baby daughter or partner as much as I need to but I love the holidays I love the fact that every third weekend I get five days off unless working overtime and the money is good.

If your negative you won't last and my friend life is to short. Work hard enjoy your time off with your family

My last point will be this. Once your on the railway and see the money and time off you can never go back to civie street as nothing will compare so before you get accustomed leave, otherwise you'll be miserable

rmt4ever

My last point will be this. Once your on the railway and see the money and time off you can never go back to civie street as nothing will compare so before you get accustomed leave, otherwise you'll be miserable

Terrible advice. There are plenty of other jobs on the railway that the op might be more well suited to, many offering decent t&c's and salary. Drivers aren't the only people working on railways !

83G/84D

Established Member
I've worked shifts on the railway for well over 20 years and still don't like the early starts and night shifts.I am used to it though and can manage it and have adapted my lifestyle accordingly.
E&W Lucas makes some good points, get some early nights in if you are on earlies for a few days and keep off the tea and coffee after late afternoon otherwise your sleep might be fitful with interuptions for visits to the loo. Also unwind before going to bed and relax without thinking about other things too much - no good going to bed early and not being able to sleep.

I'd give it some time and keep persevering with the job, the shifts will become more bearable after a while. You need to stick with it, keep your nose clean and keep an eye on the internal vacancy list in the future.

A job without the early starts might come up that you could apply for.

Last edited:

Beveridges

Established Member
Its always worth giving it a year or two to see if you can adjust to your current role, I have always found the first year to be the worst in any job I have taken, things only get better from there. But if you still cant stand the job after all that time, you can always apply else where through the internal vacancy list.

Maybe you would be more suited to Maintenance Depot Driving ?

Its non-repetetive, regularly challenges the mind (at least my mind), it can often be exciting,, and you get plenty of breaks. There is very little in the way of those early morning and late shifts that you hate, it is mostly nights. Worth looking into anyway.

Last edited:

richie26188

I work for a car insurance company largely dealing with complaints (FSA breaches etc)

Looking to get into this line of work as soon as possible, trust me once you’ve worked in my current environment you’ll be ready for anything. I understand it might be hard to adapt but count yourself lucky, there are a lot of people envious of your position right now.

It sounds like its more of a culture shock to you than anything else. Hope whatever you choose to do works out.

Kneedown

Established Member
As you said that you were out with a Minder i'm assuming you're on the handling phase of your training.
The situation presently then, will be that you have just endured several weeks of brain pummelling in a classroom, trying to digest alien rules and traction, having to pass assessments at various stages. Now you've done that, you're with a minder, again recieving a mental pummelling as you learn the finer points of train handling and put all you've learned into practice.
In short, you're feeling the strain of a highly intensive course, while your body clock is all over the place.
I've trained plenty of Drivers and seem similar in many. It gets better, trust me. Once you pass out fully and a little of the pressure is off, you can concentrate on enjoying it a little more. You will adjust to the shifts, it just takes time. I'm not saying you will ever enjoy the earliest starts or later finishes, but there are big advantages to both. Some of the chores that you would do at weekends if you were working Mon-Fri, 9-5, can be done in the week before you start or after you finish, leaving what weekend time you have to devote to family (I'm off to do the weekend shop in a few mins, followed by an hours sax practice without upsetting the neighbours before my 16.30 start!). I was seconded for a year into the Driver Managers office on a 5 day week with weekends off. It was a nightmare trying to get things at home done. Even a Dental appointment or taking the car for a service was a logistical nightmare. All this and more is a breeze when you work our shift pattern/hours. All you need to do is make the adjustment.
Another poster said to take an interest in nature. Top advice. You'll have the privilege of seeing sights that others miss, and it's amazing. Nothing makes my day more than seeing a Barn Owl perched on a fence post watching me pass, or a Red Kite soaring over an adjacent field. The sunrises and sunsets are particularly beautiful and in our job we have the opportunity to enjoy them all frequently.
Everybody has low periods, especially when making such adjustments, or experiencing such pressure as you currently are, but you will adapt and things will get better.
I have my own low points. I despise driving Sprinters for 99.9% of the time and HST's for only 0.1% of the time and wish the roles were reversed. I hate being away from the coast, and living in Nott's is about as far away from the coast as you can get. Even our Skeggy trains never so much as catch a glimpse of the sea. I hate the unreliability of our rolling stock and feel ashamed when struggling up a hill with a full to bursting 153, thinking to myself "Are we really a tenth of the way into the 21st century?"
But do you know what? I still think it's the best job in the world (short of being a Pilot!) It's not a dead end job either. From a Driver i have progressed to Mentor Driver and then Driver Instructor. If i desire it there is always the Driver Manager role, then Depot Manager, Op's Standards and many more. The world is your Oyster. There is the potential you to make a great journey in a tough, but ultimately rewarding career, and you are embarking on the first step. You just need to adapt and see the positives in the negatives, making them work for you instead of against you.
Don't be afraid to discuss your concerns with your Minder either. They will be happy to answer questions and offer advice.

My advice is to stick with it, do your best, and if, after a couple of years, you feel unfulfilled, look at career advancement. I've know a few people who have left the railway for one reason or another, and every single one of them has regretted it big time.

All the best,

K'down.

Last edited:

Titfield

Established Member
In my experience coping with shifts / long hours was made easier (and safer) by making sure I got good quality sleep.

Apart from the advice already given can I suggest that you get some good quality curtains lined with "black out" material. This really helped me.

I also tried to wind down to go to sleep by not watching tv or playing video games or using the pc in the hour before going to bed. I would listen to easy listening music instead.

I know it isn't easy to say to the kids "you need to be quiet as Daddy is asleep" but to try and get a routine that makes getting sleep as easy as possible what ever the time of day or night.

Hope this helps and good luck

Joe20365

Thanks for all the responses, really appreciate your feedback. To answer a few questions raised: I have done several other 9-5 menial jobs, so I know exactly what these are like and I'm in no way aspiring to get back to that. Also, I wouldn't say I went into the job 'half-arsed', but it was quite a quick process and not a job that I had longed for, it just came up, and it's very easy to say 'Yeah shifts, no problem' the reality of course, is very different.

I do think (and hope) that a lot of this is affected by what Kneedown is talking about, the culmination of the new shift pattern and the sheer volume of information I've had to take on board.

It's good to read some opinions on this, and my mind is far from made up. Cheers fellas, I will keep you informed.

W230

Established Member
Thanks for all the responses, really appreciate your feedback. To answer a few questions raised: I have done several other 9-5 menial jobs, so I know exactly what these are like and I'm in no way aspiring to get back to that.
I've always worked shifts and can't understand why more people don't but admittedly they're not for everyone and definitely take a bit of getting used to - especially if you've always done a 9-5 and been used to having your weekends with mates/the wife.

I do think (and hope) that a lot of this is affected by what Kneedown is talking about, the culmination of the new shift pattern and the sheer volume of information I've had to take on board.
I think Kneedown has hit the nail on the head. It's a proper assault on the brain. I wonder how i'll ever remember all the route knowledge required when i'm no longer out with my trainer but it does go in eventually. Interestingly the most enthusiastic trainee on my course is also now the most stressed (though that is most down to his trainer - thank f%$^ I didn't end up with that trainer!)

It's good to read some opinions on this, and my mind is far from made up. Cheers fellas, I will keep you informed.
It's difficult when you're feeling unfulfilled in the job and everyone's telling you how great it is. But as others have suggested, give it a bit of time. If it's not for you then fair enough - at least you can tell yourself you've given it a fair crack. :)

koolaid

You didn't actually think about all this at the interview? There's a reason they ask you thee questions..not just to pass.

JAMBO

I would give it some time mate. I love the time off that I get mate. I may work my share of 2am and 11pm starts and i have the bad days like any driver but my time off more than makes up for it in my eyes. As for MDD roles?!, if you think " train driving is boring" then you would probably slit your throat doing that role. Looking at the same bit of railway day in day out shunting is not for me at all,and most people. It would bore the living daylights out of you. Now that would be repetitive. You would get more job satisfaction and challenges on the mainline. Just try stick it out and you never know you may start to enjoy it. Good thing about a mainline driver mate is if you keep your head down and nose clean you can move anywhere in the country to any operator and it can open up other opportunities.

FlamTap

I didn't, no. Should i have done?

:idea:

Put simply, yes!

In all honesty I imagine you're not going to get much sympathy in a forum like this. There are far more people reading these threads who would give a left b***ck to be where you are right now than there are people already there!

To put it another way, it almost seems like you "fluked" (for want of a better word) getting the job. You say: "Also, I wouldn't say I went into the job 'half-arsed', but it was quite a quick process and not a job that I had longed for" which is pretty much the antithesis of most wannabe train drivers reading these forums.

The green-eyed monster is a powerful beast! ;)

LWB

:roll:
Hi,

Sorry to hear this mate, but this confirms everything I've come to expect of modern "HR" recruitment processes. Not your fault OP, it's the employers'. The criteria by which TOCs and FOCs appoint are totally arbitrary and detached from the everyday realities of working in an industry like the railways.( I do not mean group bourdon , mechanical comprehension etc),:roll: Anyhow, good luck sorting this out.

TDK

Established Member
Hi,

- I don't like the job, I find it mind-numbingly tedious. I enjoyed driving at first but the novelty soon wore off,

I think that many potential applicants should take note of this thread as I can see many trainees feeling the same way. This is the difference of "driving a train" and "being a train driver". This job of being a train driver takes a certain type of person and if you are not of that type you will find the job boring and tedious. It is a shame you feel like this and if you feel this way at this stage with a minder I am sorry but the job is not for you!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
To put it another way, it almost seems like you "fluked" (for want of a better word) getting the job.

I don't think fluked is the correct term. There are many people out there who could pass the tests and interviews and who would find the job boring. Until you try it you just don't know. The role is just glossed over too much. It is a boring job at times and to be honest unless you enjoy being out and about doing the same things every day it just isn't for you.

I have in my career many folks who have left the grade because they didn't like it but they went on to do other roles on the railway or were financially solvent to leave. One guy went through all his training, was excellent with his DI but when he went out on his own could just not handle the responsibility carrying hundreds of people it actually made him ill with rashes all over his body, he became an MDD which he now enjoys doing. So, it's not a fluke it is just probably lack of research of the role prior to applying or taking notice of people who are not in the role that think it is the best thing since steam engines.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
You didn't actually think about all this at the interview? There's a reason they ask you thee questions..not just to pass.

The reasons they ask the questions is to see whether a candidate is suitable for the job, not to see if they are going to like the job.

notadriver

Established Member
Just a couple of points about this :

How well do you get on with your minder driver or driving instructor? If the man (they are usually male) is a complete **** this may taint your view of the job. My own minder was annual leave for a day and I was sent with someone else. He wasn't that chatty and from the way he was talking he would rather be elsewhere than driving trains. In fact quite frankly I don't know how he got the driving instructor job - they must have been very desperate !!

Second off - if the work at your depot is repetitive all stations work that might be quite off putting. I think many think train driving is being at the helm of an express train cruising at over 100 mph. The reality is, with perhaps the exception of FTPE, most train drivers will start their career on all stations work which can be tedious and very boring.

Shifts are important too - some depots have a lot more unsociable shifts than others.

I bet even a pilots job must get boring once the autopilot is switched on shortly after take off until touchdown ?

Status
Not open for further replies.