• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Medical at Medi-centre Waterloo

Status
Not open for further replies.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
I was wondering if anyone has had a medical recently there and what exactly is involved and how long it lasts. I am getting concerned about my BMI being close to 33 and am obviously going to be on a very strict exercise and diet regime! Has anyone failed to get into Southeastern with a high BMI? As I am 43 they surely don't expect your BMI to be the same as a 20 year old?. I may be worrying overduly but the more I read about the medical the more concerned I get. I have had blood tests for blood sugar in the last couple of months and that was normal. I have also had recent eye tests including colour blindness and they were fine, its just being a bit tubby which worries me! Have never touched drugs (am not on prescription medicines or any others) and won't be having a drink for a week before the test either! Any advice will be appreciated.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

redbutton

I had a medical for Southern recently; the doctor passed me as fit despite a BMI around 40.

The doctor did say that the new medical regs are a lot less strict on BMI than they were before; nowadays it's left entirely to the Dr's discretion as long as you don't have any comorbidities (other issues that go along with obesity, such as high BP, arrythmias, or pre-diabetes).

Also, what probably helped me was going into the medical with records from my GP showing two stone lost in the prior three months. The doctor had a nice long chat with me about where he'd like my weight to be at my next medical.

One last thing to note is that Southern employ their own Occupational Health staff, so your experience with a contract facility might be completely different.

Last edited:

455driver

Veteran Member
A BMI of 33 is quite low for a train driver so dont worry about that.

As long as you have a heart, can move around okay, are reasonably fit, can see and hear you will be fine.

edit-

Oh congratulations as well! :D

Last edited:

chilli_palmer

i had a medical for southern recently; the doctor passed me as fit despite a bmi around 40.

The doctor did say that the new medical regs are a lot less strict on bmi than they were before; nowadays it's left entirely to the dr's discretion as long as you don't have any comorbidities (other issues that go along with obesity, such as high bp, arrythmias, or pre-diabetes).

Also, what probably helped me was going into the medical with records from my gp showing two stone lost in the prior three months. The doctor had a nice long chat with me about where he'd like my weight to be at my next medical.

One last thing to note is that southern employ their own occupational health staff, so your experience with a contract facility might be completely different.

do you have to be smart dressed for your medical or can you attend it with casual dress?????

TDK

Established Member
A BMI of 33 is quite low for a train driver so dont worry about that.

As long as you have a heart, can move around okay, are reasonably fit, can see and hear you will be fine.

edit-

Oh congratulations as well! :D

Many train drivers start off with a low BMI, mine used to be 23 but as the years and the poor eating habits and shifts take hold it goes up, mine is now 28. Maybe not now but it used to be a strict 33 BMI for new entrants anything over and you failed the medical

chilli_palmer

Anybody knows the salary for the Guard role for SWT ..training and after training plz? any info would be much help

redbutton

do you have to be smart dressed for your medical or can you attend it with casual dress?????

Sorry I didn't see this sooner, but to answer your question:

Some people treat it like a job interview, some people just go in street clothes, I did something in between. I wore a nice jumper and trousers, nothing special, but definitely not "casual" e.g. hoodie/jeans/trainers.

However, my medical was with an in-house medical office inside the depot, so I figure that any percieved transgressions were more likely to be communicated back to the recruiters than if it were a private medical clinic.

But whatever you wear, keep in mind that you have to take your shirt off for the ECG, so try not to wear too many layers.

Status
Not open for further replies.