• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Medway Council gets funding for Hoo/Sharnal Street station

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SargeNpton

Established Member
This Railway Gazette article from April 2023 is the last update that I am aware of...

Plans to reintroduce a passenger service on the freight-only Isle of Grain branch on the Hoo Peninsula have been put on hold, with Medway Council citing ‘high inflation, significantly increased construction costs and pressures on public spending’.

zwk500

Veteran Member
This Railway Gazette article from April 2023 is the last update that I am aware of...

Well, that comes as little surprise unfortunately.

duncombec

Not only has the plan for the rail service been withdrawn, the entire Housing Infrastructure Fund (HIF) funding was withdrawn earlier in the month as the Department for Levelling Up has "ultimately concluded that the scheme is not deliverable within the budget and timeframe of the Housing Infrastructure Fund".

Broadly speaking locally, much interest in the restoration of passenger services disappeared when it became clear that the line wouldn't actually link to the central Medway towns, but to Gravesend and London. That may have earned more money, but locals were expecting both (I think even a service extended down the Medway Valley via Strood would have been better received than "London only", but that's only my speculation).

zwk500

Veteran Member
Not only has the plan for the rail service been withdrawn, the entire Housing Infrastructure Fund (HIF) funding was withdrawn earlier in the month as the Department for Levelling Up has "ultimately concluded that the scheme is not deliverable within the budget and timeframe of the Housing Infrastructure Fund".
The train service was dependent on the HIF funding, when that was withdrawn the train service was dead.
Broadly speaking locally, much interest in the restoration of passenger services disappeared when it became clear that the line wouldn't actually link to the central Medway towns, but to Gravesend and London. That may have earned more money, but locals were expecting both (I think even a service extended down the Medway Valley via Strood would have been better received than "London only", but that's only my speculation).
The southern/eastern curve was looked at but quickly increased the costs beyond a viable level.

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Hmm. Now’s the time to get the buses running reliably. Fast bus to Chatham via the tunnel as well as the trundle through Wainscott-Strood-Rochester? Or make it into a looping service,!tunnel first one way, towns first the other?

Train Maniac

Which development? There’s been a ton of housebuilding around Hoo over the last few years, still going on, and the buses are not very reliable.
The whole of the old Chattenden millitary base was going to be turned into a new garden village

zwk500

Veteran Member
Which development? There’s been a ton of housebuilding around Hoo over the last few years, still going on, and the buses are not very reliable.
The development that was justifying the reopening of Sharnal Street station, which is what the HIF money was for.

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Cheers people. All very confusing, even after reading the long newspaper article here:
As I understand it, the HIF fund was intended for the infrastructure to support housing development. What a mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.