• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Meghan Markle potentially getting involved with US politics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrop

On Moderation
mods note - split from here.

Hmm, just when I was despairing about the state of UK politics, I've just listened to GMTV news this morning. In the USA, Biden's sister is saying Biden will be running for re-election in 2024. At his age! Then she says Meghan Markle would be a welcome addition to US politics. Hmm, we've already seen how incredibly gullible US people are about Meghan and her distortions of reality, yet they still love her in droves. And many other Americans believe all the stories and misrepresentations spouted by Trump. Taking this further, the 2024 US election could conceivably be Markle vs Trump! Doesn't this almost make Boris seem reasonable? What on earth is the world coming to?!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Yew

Established Member
Hmm, just when I was despairing about the state of UK politics, I've just listened to GMTV news this morning. In the USA, Biden's sister is saying Biden will be running for re-election in 2024. At his age! Then she says Meghan Markle would be a welcome addition to US politics. Hmm, we've already seen how incredibly gullible US people are about Meghan and her distortions of reality, yet they still love her in droves. And many other Americans believe all the stories and misrepresentations spouted by Trump. Taking this further, the 2024 US election could conceivably be Markle vs Trump! Doesn't this almost make Boris seem reasonable? What on earth is the world coming to?!!!
Make America Great Again, vs Make America Great Britain Again?

nw1

Established Member

I don't fully get this hate towards Meghan Markle. But nothing there suggests she will be the candidate, anyhow.

I guess Biden vs Trump Part II is conceivable. But I'd have thought that even the GOP are sensible enough not to stand someone who appeared to promote violent insurrection as their candidate.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gloster

Established Member
I guess Biden vs Trump Part II is conceivable. But I'd have thought that even the GOP are sensible enough not to stand someone who appeared to promote violent insurrection as their candidate.
I do not share your faith in the common sense of the GOP. Those who seem to be holding the party’s reins nowadays seem to be transfixed by Trump, or maybe they think he is the one who will let them shove their snouts deepest in the trough. I feel that only a serious defeat or three will allow the more moderate party members to regain the initiative. But religion is well embedded in the mix and that never helps anything.

Possibly the only thing to stop Trump running again would be a medical problem of such severity that even he couldn’t brush it off. But then we might get one of the offspring. Donald Junior, anyone?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I do not share your faith in the common sense of the GOP. Those who seem to be holding the party’s reins nowadays seem to be transfixed by Trump, or maybe they think he is the one who will let them shove their snouts deepest in the trough. I feel that only a serious defeat or three will allow the more moderate party members to regain the initiative. But religion is well embedded in the mix and that never helps anything.
I think there's a strong element of the GOP leadership having sown the wind and are now reaping the whirlwind. It was useful to rile up their base, to drive them to ever more extreme positions, to make them feel like they're very way of life and all that they hold dear is being threatened by "the other side/the coastal elites/the libs/etc etc" and so that they have to vote Republican to preserve the American way of life (paraphrasing and simplifying massively of course).

Only that's now got to a point where I'm not sure they're fully in control of what happens within their own party. Twenty years ago the people in charge fostered those views but knew it was all nonsense but just useful to help solidify their power and grip on things. But there's people coming through the ranks of the GOP now who honestly believe the insanity that has been coming out of the GOP, Fox News and others. You saw it when a number of GOP Senators and Representatives appear to have refused to vote to impeach Trump because, at least in part, they're worried what the base will do to them (either by primarying them out of their seat in the next election or possibly worse).

I'm not convinced that the cooler heads in the GOP are in charge of their own party anymore and I'm not sure they know what to do to try and wrestle back control of it from the crazy's that have taken over.

duncanp

Established Member

I have seen stories that Meghan Markle wants to run for president of the United States in 2024.

Please God NO.

Or can someone wake me up and tell me this is a dream.

nw1

Established Member
I have seen stories that Meghan Markle wants to run for president of the United States in 2024.

Please God NO.

Or can someone wake me up and tell me this is a dream.

Can't be worse than Donald Trump.

But seriously - I suspect it's media tripe and unlikely to happen. Not that I really get the hate against Meghan Markle anyway: one wonders whether it's because she's too much her own person with her own opinions, and Royals can't be like that.

Falcon1200

Established Member
Not that I really get the hate against Meghan Markle anyway: one wonders whether it's because she's too much her own person with her own opinions, and Royals can't be like that.

Maybe it's more that she, and her husband, want and expect as their right all the respect, power and influence due to them as members of the Royal Family, without any of the duties or responsibilities, or even having to live in rainy old Britain. I don't hate her, or Harry, but after their interview with Oprah I lost all respect for them, or trust in anything they say.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Maybe it's more that she, and her husband, want and expect as their right all the respect, power and influence due to them as members of the Royal Family, without any of the duties or responsibilities, or even having to live in rainy old Britain. I don't hate her, or Harry, but after their interview with Oprah I lost all respect for them, or trust in anything they say.
They’re basically just self-involved and tedious people you’d walk away from at a wedding reception.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Trump v Markle?! Now that'd be a contest that I'd fervently hope and pray both lost, heavily.

seagull

They’re basically just self-involved and tedious people you’d walk away from at a wedding reception.

Quite. She was an awful and wooden actress on the "Suits" US legal drama and so it's no surprise that she was unable to act the role of princess either.

duncanp

Established Member
Quite. She was an awful and wooden actress on the "Suits" US legal drama and so it's no surprise that she was unable to act the role of princess either.

She thought being a royal in the UK was like being a celebrity in the US.

When she found out that being royal involved commitment and duty, she didn't like it.

Yew

Established Member
She thought being a royal in the UK was like being a celebrity in the US.

When she found out that being royal involved commitment and duty, she didn't like it.
Do you have any sources for this?

MP33

What is needed is enough votes to enable the amendment to the US Constitution that has been pending for 200 years, that bars from political office anyone who is nobility in another Country.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Do you have any sources for this?
Yes I was thinking that. I don't really have any strong feelings either way or know much about Markle. But it does seem like certain sections of the British press have been and continue to do absolutely everything they can to slate her at every turn. And it's a certain section of the media (the tabolidy bit) which makes me rather distrustful of them and whether she is actually some terrible person at all...

On Moderation
Yes I was thinking that. I don't really have any strong feelings either way or know much about Markle. But it does seem like certain sections of the British press have been and continue to do absolutely everything they can to slate her at every turn. And it's a certain section of the media (the tabolidy bit) which makes me rather distrustful of them and whether she is actually some terrible person at all...
She hasn't helped herself, though, has she? It seems like any conversation had between the Royal Family and Harry/Meghan becomes public knowledge because she blabs it, presumably to keep some money coming in from chatshow appearances. It's really not surprising they've got themselves a reputation.

102 fan

I know it's not recent, but Spitting Image didn't exactly treat the Royal's with kid gloves, and it recieved good ratings. However, if MM had been part of the Royal family then, would she be slated as much as the others were? And would it be perceived as racism?

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I know it's not recent, but Spitting Image didn't exactly treat the Royal's with kid gloves, and it recieved good ratings. However, if MM had been part of the Royal family then, would she be slated as much as the others were? And would it be perceived as racism?
Spitting Image (the true, original version) was a product of its era and spared nobody. Even those who'd been lampooned and hated it rarely spoke out as, at that time, they'd have been derided for not having a sense of humour. The only politician I ever remember complaining about their portrayal was David Steel, on account of him being taken out of David Owen's pocket to be patronised and humiliated. I always felt his comments probably pointed to its truthfulness! There'd have been no reason not to include Markle, so long as her racial characteristics were not grossly overstated.

102 fan

Spitting Image (the true, original version) was a product of its era and spared nobody. Even those who'd been lampooned and hated it rarely spoke out as, at that time, they'd have been derided for not having a sense of humour. The only politician I ever remember complaining about their portrayal was David Steel, on account of him being taken out of David Owen's pocket to be patronised and humiliated. I always felt his comments probably pointed to its truthfulness! There'd have been no reason not to include Markle, so long as her racial characteristics were not grossly overstated.

And has the alleged criticisms recently been about her racial characteristics or attitudes?

Falcon1200

Established Member
But it does seem like certain sections of the British press have been and continue to do absolutely everything they can to slate her at every turn. And it's a certain section of the media (the tabolidy bit) which makes me rather distrustful of them and whether she is actually some terrible person at all...

It's not surprising she gets slated, considering that some of the things she and her husband told Oprah were proved to be incorrect almost as soon as the words left their mouths. And to accuse an unnamed member of the Royal Family of racism, while sitting next to someone who once, for a laugh, dressed up in the uniform of the greatest racists the world has ever known.... Shame Oprah didn't ask her about that. Like many, when she wed Harry I was delighted and thought she would be a real breath of fresh air for the Royals. The way things have turned out is a great pity, for all concerned.

Yew

Established Member
And to accuse an unnamed member of the Royal Family of racism, while sitting next to someone who once, for a laugh, dressed up in the uniform of the greatest racists the world has ever known....
Childhood me would be ecstatic to know that playing dress up actually makes you the thing you're dressing up as. Just imagine how talented you have to be to be in a sketch show!

If we actually want to compare like with like, these are the same tabloids that refused to publish even redacted leaked photos of Kate Middleton when she was sunbathing topless a few years ago.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
And has the alleged criticisms recently been about her racial characteristics or attitudes?
I'd say the latter, but her supporters will cry 'racist' at any criticism of her narcissism or ignorant views on just about everything. In short, she shares a lot with Trump.

Falcon1200

Established Member
Childhood me would be ecstatic to know that playing dress up actually makes you the thing you're dressing up as.

What dressing up, as an adult, in a Nazi uniform demonstrates is a complete and utter lack of compassion, and understanding (in this case of what that uniform signifies), an insensitivity which could also be applied for example to an alleged remark (or remarks, allegations differ) about the colour of a forthcoming baby's skin.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
There are better things to judge Harry on than him dressing up as a Nazi. The public dumping on his father being one. His dad turned up the next day after the Oprah interview to visit a hospital, on time, as planned, courted no fuss and retained his dignity. Charles went up in my estimation after that.

nw1

Established Member

I'd agree. I am actually completely neutral on Markle, I neither like nor dislike her. However the constant attacks her and Harry receive are completely out of proportion to any wrong-doing they have done. If the media making these attacks spent more time attacking the likes of "Boris", then we might actually see progress in this country.

Contrast that with the fawning adulation of the Queen, another royal. Like Markle, I am also completely neutral on the Queen - I don't really care whether we switch to a republic or not - yet I find the worship of her also rather irritating.

In summary, royals are just figureheads and in both cases things are blown out of proportion. They aren't the ones with real power, attacks should be redirected at wrongdoing performed by politicians.

Status
Not open for further replies.