• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail Class 777 introduction updates

221101 Voyager

Established Member
Where was it - Bletchley CS? Units don't get graffitied often there, the site is reasonably secure.
Speaking of trains getting vandalised, I've seen a few LNWR ones have been targeted recently, so it's not suprising to see them attack brand new units.

It's a real shame, but security for rail storage obviously needs to be tougher, as TOCs otherwise spend money getting units cleaned up again.

What's easier? Spending money on better security or wasting time and money getting a team to clean trains?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Skie

Bear in mind that this was an unplanned stabling of the train after faults. You could make the most secure location in the world but if something breaks en-route and you have to just leave something in the nearest available siding for 12 hours there isn't much you can do. Even getting a 'security guard' to attend at short notice would be fraught with problems, including PTS and familiarity with local briefings and area knowledge.

If they do plan to leave units overnight, I'm sure the security arrangements will have been improved over those seen on the first graffiti incident. This incident has to go down in the "**** happens" column though.

221101 Voyager

Established Member
Bear in mind that this was an unplanned stabling of the train after faults. You could make the most secure location in the world but if something breaks en-route and you have to just leave something in the nearest available siding for 12 hours there isn't much you can do. Even getting a 'security guard' to attend at short notice would be fraught with problems, including PTS and familiarity with local briefings and area knowledge.

If they do plan to leave units overnight, I'm sure the security arrangements will have been improved over those seen on the first graffiti incident. This incident has to go down in the "**** happens" column though.
Fair enough, totally agree with all of that.

221101 Voyager

Established Member
Same. I absolutely hate it.
What's is even more annoying is that I was looking forward to seeing 6X29 with the two now mucky 777s on. However, becuase it failed it didn't reach me and found out it went through my local station overnight and was so disappointed. I've only ever seen one 777 on a previous move many months earlier in the year. :(

Still see if I can catch another one coming through, if it doesn't break down again!

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
What's is even more annoying is that I was looking forward to seeing 6X29 with the two now mucky 777s on. However, becuase it failed it didn't reach me and found out it went through my local station overnight and was so dissappointed. I've only ever seen one 777 on a previous move many months earlier in the year. :(

Still see if can catch another one coming through, if it doesn't break down again!

I think the troublesome barrier wagon is at Crewe for tyre turning. 66779 and 66783 have gone to Tuebrook Sidings on 6Z29 tonight, with the 777s still at Crewe.

221101 Voyager

Established Member
I think the troublesome barrier wagon is at Crewe for tyre turning. 66779 and 66783 have gone to Tuebrook Sidings on 6Z29 tonight, with the 777s still at Crewe.
Damn wagons! Crewe? I can't go that far to see it! I'm in Milton Keynes and it's a long way from me! Like I say just have to wait until another 777 comes through if it makes it as far as MK, that is! :)

I look forward to going on these units post covid as they look really nice! Shame I might not get to ride the PEPs first though!

L401CJF

Established Member
Speaking of trains getting vandalised, I've seen a few LNWR ones have been targeted recently, so it's not suprising to see them attack brand new units.

It's a real shame, but security for rail storage obviously needs to be tougher, as TOCs otherwise spend money getting units cleaned up again.

What's easier? Spending money on better security or wasting time and money getting a team to clean trains?

ADHDTog

Damn wagons! Crewe? I can't go that far to see it! I'm in Milton Keynes and it's a long way from me! Like I say just have to wait until another 777 comes through if it makes it as far as MK, that is! :)

I look forward to going on these units post covid as they look really nice! Shame I might not get to ride the PEPs first though!

If it makes you feel any better, I live on Merseyside and haven't got to see a 777 in motion because of lockdown and the limitations of Long Covid. :(

221101 Voyager

Established Member
If it makes you feel any better, I live on Merseyside and haven't got to see a 777 in motion because of lockdown and the limitations of Long Covid. :(
I does make me feel a little better, I hope things improve in your area soon and that long term you recover from long COVID.

Still things can only get better from now, right?
Hopefully, in a year or two we can all have a go on the 777s!

Roger B

So sorry to read you're suffering with long covid. Wishing you a full and speedy recovery.

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
66779 and 66783 returned to Crewe from Tuebrook Sidings today on 0G49, without any barrier wagons (which presumably have been left at Tuebrook).

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
I can't believe they go to the expense of using two damn great big goods loco's to pull a bit of an EMU up the WCML, but have no way of stopping some snotty nosed yob(s) of vandalising them?

Lets be honest, they will never look as good as they did when they left the paint shop now.

On Moderation
I can't believe they go to the expense of using two damn great big goods loco's to pull a bit of an EMU up the WCML, but have no way of stopping some snotty nosed yob(s) of vandalising them?

Lets be honest, they will never look as good as they did when they left the paint shop now.
How else do you propose moving them, then?

On Moderation
Who said anything about how they are moved? I'm on about protecting the load.
How do you propose doing that when it is stopped out of course for a vehicle defect? It's not exactly predictable where (and indeed if) that might happen.

childwallblues

Established Member
i live in Liverpool less than five miles from Kirkdale Depot and due to self isolating also have not seen one yet. Still when the siuation improves it should not be too long before I clear them for both sighying and riding.
I rode the 507/508 many many times and rode all 177 carriages in the 59 units that were in service priot to the recent withdrawals.

LeylandLen

Yes I beleive it was delayed for a while at Willesden .Seemes they thought it was ok to proceed but only made it to Bletchley CS .
Thinks its at Crewe now .

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
Yes I beleive it was delayed for a while at Willesden .Seemes they thought it was ok to proceed but only made it to Bletchley CS .
Thinks its at Crewe now .

It was delayed at Willesden with a brake issue with 66779. That was fixed and then wheel flats had developed on one of the barrier wagons so cancelled at Bletchley. A new path was put in for that night at 1:10AM and it eventually made it to Crewe around 5:30AM. The 2 777 units remain there. The barrier wagon is also getting tyre turned there.

A path has now gone in to move the 2 x 777 units tomorrow. 6X29 leaving Crewe at 17:12. Due at Kirkdale at 00:36.

Last edited:

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
It was delayed at Willesden with a brake issue with 66779. That was fixed and then wheel flats had developed on one of the barrier wagons so cancelled at Bletchley. A new path was put in for that night at 1:10AM and it eventually made it to Crewe around 5:30AM. The 2 777 units remain there. The barrier wagon is also getting tyre turned there.

A path has now gone in to move the 2 x 777 units tomorrow. 6X29 leaving Crewe at 17:12. Due at Kirkdale at 00:36.

7½ hours from Crewe to Kirkdale, have they replaced the 66 with Shergar?