• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail Class 777 introduction updates

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I remember in the pre-May 2018 timetable the 1655 Central - Ormskirk (three car) was badly overcrowded too. The 1710 ex-Central was a six car working in that setup.

Yes, the 1616 also does the 1534 Ormskirk - Central which always was incredibly busy with schoolchildren; I assume it remains so.

Does the Ormskirk School finish at 3? When I was at the Grammar with a 3:25 finish you'd have to run to catch that one, the one after was the busiest with Grammar and Cross Hall kids.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

prod_pep

Established Member
Does the Ormskirk School finish at 3? When I was at the Grammar with a 3:25 finish you'd have to run to catch that one, the one after was the busiest with Grammar and Cross Hall kids.
Not sure on that but last time I used it, the busiest part was around Maghull and Aintree.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Not sure on that but last time I used it, the busiest part was around Maghull and Aintree.

Ah yes, probably Deyes High kids heading to Old Roan and Aintree, forgot about those.

To be fair the 1550 ish I used to get was always a 3 car and while busy wasn't full and standing, and schoolkids don't really care about getting a seat anyway, most of us found "train surfing" more fun!

karlbbb

I believe the train mentioned gets horrifically busy at Maghull - the station is so full of kids just after 1530 that they have security/helper bods that are needed to keep the kids from doing something silly. I've certainly been on a train that passed through Maghull around 1545 that got beyond rammed with kids, which tallies with the 1534 time.

prod_pep

Established Member
Looks like all three of the Kirkdale - Ormskirk ECS workings to make up the six cars have run, which is good. Is it just one of the morning pairs to have been sacrificed for now?

MR-507508

Observed so far today:

2O24 — 777018
2O25 — 777003
2G44 — 507005
2O28 — 507026
2G47 — 777013 (with a set of doors locked OOU)
2G48 — 508128

2K22 — 777049
2G85 — 777008
2K26 — 777009

Hope this helps!
At the moment it looks like the 777 is only being run on one Ormskirk diagram which involves a 6 car in the morning peak only (2O12-0901 Liverpool Central to Ormskirk, then the front 3 car working ECS as 5D12 to Kirkdale depot, it then remained as a 3 car for the rest of the day). The other diagrams which involves 6 cars are being operated with 507/508s today so explains why all 6 cars ran in the evening peak. Will be interesting to see when the 777 operation increases more on the Ormskirk line how the remaining 6 car services will work.

karlbbb

At the moment it looks like the 777 is only being run on one Ormskirk diagram which involves a 6 car in the morning peak only (2O12-0901 Liverpool Central to Ormskirk, then the front 3 car working ECS as 5D12 to Kirkdale depot, it then remained as a 3 car for the rest of the day). The other diagrams which involves 6 cars are being operated with 507/508s today so explains why all 6 cars ran in the evening peak. Will be interesting to see when the 777 operation increases more on the Ormskirk line how the remaining 6 car services will work.
It’s definitely interesting to see how it’ll be done, as the 777 being replaced would have to complete its run to Ormskirk and then go ECS back to Kirkdale, and sit and wait for an hour or so, then head back out to replace the 6-car again.

Sam 76

It’s definitely interesting to see how it’ll be done, as the 777 being replaced would have to complete its run to Ormskirk and then go ECS back to Kirkdale, and sit and wait for an hour or so, then head back out to replace the 6-car again.
Does anyone know what if any progress has been made on 8 car formations ? :)

L401CJF

Established Member
Does anyone know what if any progress has been made on 8 car formations ? :)
Wouldn't count on it.

Just been speaking to some guards I know who say they dread working on them. Sick of constant door faults, PIS faults, and sick of having to tell everybody to get off because it's got to come out of service. The general consensus among those I know is that they hate working on them.

I won't go into detail on the exact details to avoid getting them into trouble. I understand new fleets will have teething issues, all things do, but why have they not stopped/waited to sort out these "teething issues" before trying to convert a second line?

I can't for the life of me understand why they're pushing them onto other lines knowing they are constantly being pulled out of service. Surely get them to work properly on Kirkbys first before putting Ormskirk into the mix? Is it just a publicity thing to try and make the Liverpool City Region and Metro big wigs look good?

People are always slating the TFW 230 on the 230 thread because it keeps running late, a unit which was effectively cobbled together out of old units and experimental tech by a small firm, yet is proving more reliable in service than these "state of the art" brand new units.

markymark2000

On Moderation
but why have they not stopped/waited to sort out these "teething issues" before trying to convert a second line?
Simple, there is an election coming up and the incompetent politicians and councillors want to score political points.

I wouldn't be surprised come mid May if they scale it back due to difficulties.

MattRat

On Moderation
Simple, there is an election coming up and the incompetent politicians and councillors want to score political points.

I wouldn't be surprised come mid May if they scale it back due to difficulties.
Or maybe all the bugs will be ironed out. Considering this has essentially been trial by fire, the units actually seem to be settling down for the most part, after a bumpy start. Dare I say they might actually be decent units?

Sam 76

Or maybe all the bugs will be ironed out. Considering this has essentially been trial by fire, the units actually seem to be settling down for the most part, after a bumpy start. Dare I say they might actually be decent units?
Whilst I have no inside knowledge it does seem from a passenger point of view they have been better for the last 2-3 weeks at least. They did well at Aintree it seems and then unless something happened I didn’t see they did well on the Ormskirk line yesterday. ?

karlbbb

Whilst I have no inside knowledge it does seem from a passenger point of view they have been better for the last 2-3 weeks at least. They did well at Aintree it seems and then unless something happened I didn’t see they did well on the Ormskirk line yesterday. ?
I don’t recall seeing Merseyrail tweet about any Ormskirk trains being taken off so I assume things went well. Even during the races the only changes I recall were a couple of trains running semi-fast due to delay, not being taken out of service.

The unit I’m on now appears to have a correctly functioning PIS too :) (777009)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

They probably will settle down to be reliable, but I still take the view that the interior is anything but decent, being a series of very poor compromises which seem to prioritise a combination of gimmickry, trying (but failing) to be "clever", and saving money, rather than a good, simple, basic product.

karlbbb

One thing that is slightly puzzling on the 777 is the "please mind the closing doors" automated announcement only seems to happen after the step has retracted. For example, the door closes on its timer, a few seconds later the step retracts (which I assume is the driver doing the all-door close for departure), the red door border lights turn off, and then the PA plays "please mind the closing doors". Is this an oversight?

It also seems odd the doors play the doors opening alarm even when the door isn't pre-armed for opening. It seems to happen that the door open alarm plays as the driver releases. Quite annoying, actually.

py_megapixel

Established Member
It also seems odd the doors play the doors opening alarm even when the door isn't pre-armed for opening. It seems to happen that the door open alarm plays as the driver releases. Quite annoying, actually.
This is standard on all stock and is specified by the PRM regulations:

"When a door is released for opening a signal shall be given that is clearly audible and visible to
persons inside and outside the train. This alert signal shall last for a minimum of five seconds unless
the door is operated, in which case it may cease after 3 seconds."

Luke McDonnell

On Moderation
Does anyone know what time the 777s are on the Ormskirk run on Saturday I am thinking around 12-1pm as I am thinking of taking my friend on one of the new trains

Luke

Hi, been lurking on this forum for a while and followed with much interest as these trains will become the main traction on my local Liverpool Southport line.
Took my first run on a 777 yesterday (777 008 I think) as I was in Liverpool on my way back from Manchester (and I didn't fancy facing an overcrowded 50x to Southport in evening rush hour), and there was a 777 parked on platform 1 at Liverpool Central, so I took a round trip to Kirkby instead)
I have to say I have to agree with the posts on this forum, Acceleration brilliant, working Wi-Fi, all the Tech worked (info screens, etc.) but the rock hard seats are a big let down for such a sophisticated train, (and I had just got off a Northern Class 331 from Manchester which was far more comfy, even though that was overcrowded). After returning to Liverpool and then taking a 508 Southport Service (with 507 024 leading :'( ), I found the 50x seats far more comfy. I would think if you did the full Southport to Hunts Cross on a 777 (approx. 55 mins if I remember correctly), passengers would have numb bum syndrome. All I can say is I am glad the Southport line is to be the last to be scheduled for full 777 operation, as I would prefer a comfy 50x over a rock hard seated 777 between Liverpool and Southport, even with the faster acceleration and all the tech.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
No no no... you have to grumble about everything and exaggerate any negatives, this is RailForums! ;)

MattRat

On Moderation
No no no... you have to grumble about everything and exaggerate any negatives, this is RailForums! ;)
I'm all for being negative, we got a CAF product when we ordered Stadler, but, reliability wise, they'll do the job in the end, and that's all commuters ask for.

Rhinojerry

Rode onboard 777018 today from Ormskirk to Central,very bright,airy,quiet and quick acceleration.
My first time on one,,impressed but those seats.oohh..
005 stabled at New Brighton,with the legacy Beatles liveried 508 stabled as well.

Liverpool 507

There seems to be some 777 availability issues today. A Kirkby diagram is being replaced by 507026 and an Ormskirk diagram is being replaced by 507015.