• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail Class 777 introduction updates

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Pep and co

Second proper go at travelling on the Mersey rail network on the new 777s. Very minor delays on the Wirral Line. Ormskirk line seemed ok but still having difficulties keeping the Headbolt Lane service going. Otherwise an enjoyable day.

sansyy

Does anyone know where 777002 is? Trying to ride all 777s and currently stuck on 777002 and classing 777008 with a picture of her stopped a little too far into the siding at rock ferry from October!

cods

This afternoon 8 was parked alongside the line on Kirkdale depot

There were 5 others visible with binoculars on the depot sidings & 2 was one of these

Hope this helps - in retrospect Kirkdale was the place to be for viewing purposes

karlbbb

Looks like 2O07 might be having issues. Seems to be stuck just after Sandhills having departed Sandhills nearly 25 minutes ago at 0754. Given the route still shows as set from Sandhills on the OTT map, I would guess it's broken down in such a place that it's now gummed up all Northern lines.

EDIT: Now moved up to Kirkdale and showing as 5O07 so looks like that unit is getting pulled. This is the 4th train fault of the day so far, and the second on the Ormskirk line, and we've only just got to 08:20.

Cletus

Established Member
Just got on my first 777 the 0949 from Ormskirk but it’s already had a reboot and we haven’t moved yet (0957).

On the move at 1000

M28361M

Did see battery 777142 at Liverpool Central this morning waiting to leave with the 0901 Ormskirk train. Unusual to see one in passenger service away from the Headbolt line. Whether that was planned or a late change due to the earlier Northern Line disruption I don't know.

karlbbb

Anyone know what the 5T63/5T64/5T65 services are going up and down the Ormskirk line at the moment? Any chance it's an 8-car tester?

I see the Ormskirk line is also currently only running on 5 out of 6 trains.

greeny11

142 was down as not allocated on Part Time Spotter, which means it's almost certainly replaced one of the original assigned Ormskirk trains (according to PTS, it should be 009/011/013/025/031/034 - going by diagrams and assuming PTS allocations are correct, 013 was the unit that failed at Sandhills, so may have been that one that was replaced).

childwallblues

Established Member
Did see battery 777142 at Liverpool Central this morning waiting to leave with the 0901 Ormskirk train. Unusual to see one in passenger service away from the Headbolt line. Whether that was planned or a late change due to the earlier Northern Line disruption I don't know.
Battery BEMUs are not unusual on the Ormskirk line.

Bikeman78

Established Member
Looks like 2O07 might be having issues. Seems to be stuck just after Sandhills having departed Sandhills nearly 25 minutes ago at 0754. Given the route still shows as set from Sandhills on the OTT map, I would guess it's broken down in such a place that it's now gummed up all Northern lines.

EDIT: Now moved up to Kirkdale and showing as 5O07 so looks like that unit is getting pulled. This is the 4th train fault of the day so far, and the second on the Ormskirk line, and we've only just got to 08:20.
It doesn't look like they will get above 500 miles per failure any time soon. I was lucky to avoid all the farces earlier this week.

Liverpool 507

It isn’t too rare to see a 777/1 on the Ormskirk line. 777150 was the 777 that had a fatality at Old Roan back in November. I’ve spotted a few including 142, 148 and 152.

Elsewhere, 777008 is now back in service as of today. It is on the West Kirby line on its first day back, since the argument with the buffers at Rock Ferry.

Last edited:

karlbbb

Merseyrail have just announced on X that the Headbolt Lane line is back down to a 30 minute/2tph service. How? Please, someone, tell me how a train rollout is going this badly?

Vinnym

Merseyrail have just announced on X that the Headbolt Lane line is back down to a 30 minute/2tph service. How? Please, someone, tell me how a train rollout is going this badly?
Service status on Merseyrail website showing as Minor Disruption on Headbolt Lane Line. A 50% reduction is more than minor disruption in my book. About time this circus was sorted out.

karlbbb

Service status on Merseyrail website showing as Minor Disruption on Headbolt Lane Line. A 50% reduction is more than minor disruption in my book. About time this circus was sorted out.
In this case, it's "only" a 33% reduction in service; normal service at the moment is 3tph - not that this makes things much better.

Pacef8

What a embarrassment . Reducing the service and giving thousands of pounds of revenue back to season tickets holders !

M28361M

A 777 has been bricked at Aintree. https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/new...ail-passengers-evacuated-after-brick-28695357
Passengers onboard a Merseyrail service were forced to get off the train after the window was smashed by vandals.

The incident is said to have happened between Orrel Park Park and Aintree, at around 5.30pm while the train, which was heading towards Ormskirk, was still moving.

Passengers were forced to evacuate the train at Aintree, with dozens of passengers then forced to wait on the platform.

One passenger on board the train told the Liverpool ECHO: "Someone's just bricked the Ormskirk train. Happened between Orrel Park and Aintree while still moving.

"Everyone's had to get off."

Merseyrail issued the following update to passengers on its app : "The 17.19 from Moorfields Northern to Aughton Park will terminate at Aintree."

Other services have also been affected by the incident. Merseyrail announced that the 1732 from Aintree to Ormskirk and the 1804 Ormskirk to Liverpool were cancelled "due to vandalism".

The ECHO has contacted BTP and Merseyrail for a comment.

Looks like this was the affected train.

Kite159

Veteran Member
A 777 has been bricked at Aintree. https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/new...ail-passengers-evacuated-after-brick-28695357

Bored kids thinking it's funny to try and hit the train from an overbridge without thinking about any possible issue? Is it still half term week in Merseyside?

sansyy

Anyone know the train number for this?

Vinnym

Probably explains the appearance of 507020 on 1846 Central to Ormskirk.

karlbbb

Looks like 2O36 has just been pulled out of service due to "an act of vandalism causing damage to the train". It's at Old Roan too - repeat of yesterday?

sansyy

Looks like 2O36 has just been pulled out of service due to "an act of vandalism causing damage to the train". It's at Old Roan too - repeat of yesterday?
Just got a reply from Merseyrail on Twitter and yes it happened again according to them.

1708789333481.png

childwallblues

Established Member
I wouldn't risk that. It doesn't appear on journey planners. I don't know how many people used to change from one train to the other but it must be close to zero now.
Have you been to Headbolt Lane recent;y and counted how many interchange between trains? You might just be surprised,

MR-507508

Would anyone happen to know please whether a Class 777 unit was running (in passenger service) on the Southport - Hunts Cross line yesterday, Saturday 24th Feb?

To the best of my knowledge, Class 777's haven't yet operated in passenger service on weekends on this line?