• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail Class 777 introduction updates

karlbbb

Engineering work on the Northern Line Today meant that the Southport to Hunts Cross services could only run as far as Hall Road, however I noticed the PIS on the 777's were still showing "Hunts Cross". Is it not possible for them to show the correct Terminating station "Hall Road"? I'm sure their predecessors Class 507/508 fleet were capable of doing this.
I noticed this yesterday too on the Ormskirk line, still displaying "Liverpool Central" despite terminating at Walton. One even left Ormskirk with "Not in service" on it.

Seems disappointing they appear to have no flexibility outside of their "route".

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Pacef8

I think i just saw a 777 reversing back to rock ferry on the wrong side? Passing port sunlight

8A Rail

Established Member
Engineering work on the Northern Line Today meant that the Southport to Hunts Cross services could only run as far as Hall Road, however I noticed the PIS on the 777's were still showing "Hunts Cross". Is it not possible for them to show the correct Terminating station "Hall Road"? I'm sure their predecessors Class 507/508 fleet were capable of doing this.
Just for information, trains were / are also operating between Liverpool Central and Hunts Cross for both days too and in the hands of Class 507's.

In the meantime, my wife had her first ride on a Class 777 on Thursday Maghull to Ormskirk & return (777005 and also 777006) and her first comment was, oh just like a 'tram' similar to the ones that operate in Sheffield and Manchester! This made be laugh! However, she did think the seats were OK especially the 'back' and ok for the journey in question, did like the level boarding and thought they were smooth too. So there is an initial non-bias view for you.

Last edited:

gka472l

There'd a post on the Mersey Railways 2.0 group of a shot of 777038/51/53 in Poland, possibly on their way to the UK, 777038 being notable as the final Swiss built one remaining to be delivered....

Why is it in Poland if it was built in Switzerland?
Probably to make up a train of three units which they normally arrive in the UK.

This would then save running a train to the UK with just one unit which is cheaper and saves lots of bucks!

HTH

PS There's no 6Q14 in RTT for this Wednesday as I send this.

Djgr

Established Member
Just for information, trains were / are also operating between Liverpool Central and Hunts Cross for both days too and in the hands of Class 507's.

In the meantime, my wife had her first ride on a Class 777 on Thursday Maghull to Ormskirk & return (777005 and also 777006) and her first comment was, oh just like a 'tram' similar to the ones that operate in Sheffield and Manchester! This made be laugh! However, she did think the seats were OK especially the 'back' and ok for the journey in question, did like the level boarding and thought they were smooth too. So there is an initial non-bias view for you.
That view is not going to be popular with the anti-Merseyrail mob on here.

AJDesiro

That view is not going to be popular with the anti-Merseyrail mob on here.
The 777s entered service over a year ago, and yet they’re still only managing 565 Miles per 701D. To put that into perspective, they are the least reliable passenger trains in the country, even less so than 230s and 769s. The 231s which entered service a few days prior to the 777s have managed 2037Mp701D in the latest period, which is still diabolical. Even the 730s which entered service 10 months later have managed 3712Mp701D in the first period.

777 reliability is a shambles. It’s all well and good having new trains, but I’d imagine most passengers would rather have a reliable service than anything else on the railway. I don’t think anybody on this forum is anti-Merseyrail, they’re likely just frustrated that reliability is diabolical for a unit of this age.

They aren’t fit for purpose unless they’re reliable.

ExRes

Established Member
Probably to make up a train of three units which they normally arrive in the UK.

This would then save running a train to the UK with just one unit which is cheaper and saves lots of bucks!

HTH

PS There's no 6Q14 in RTT for this Wednesday as I send this.

There's an 0611 0Z76 Kings Norton OTPD to Wembley Receptions 1-7, 1330 6Q77 to Walton Old Junction MSC Sidings and 2103 6Q78 to Kirkdale CS showing for Wednesday

Djgr

Established Member
The 777s entered service over a year ago, and yet they’re still only managing 565 Miles per 701D. To put that into perspective, they are the least reliable passenger trains in the country, even less so than 230s and 769s. The 231s which entered service a few days prior to the 777s have managed 2037Mp701D in the latest period, which is still diabolical. Even the 730s which entered service 10 months later have managed 3712Mp701D in the first period.

777 reliability is a shambles. It’s all well and good having new trains, but I’d imagine most passengers would rather have a reliable service than anything else on the railway. I don’t think anybody on this forum is anti-Merseyrail, they’re likely just frustrated that reliability is diabolical for a unit of this age.

They aren’t fit for purpose unless they’re reliable.
I meant the bit about the seats. Well aware of the issues about the train build.

trainophile

Established Member
Chester and West Kirby "train fault" delays/cancellations already today. At least they seem to be getting a bit quicker about sorting problems out. (Famous last words?)

I must say I do like the built-in footrest (seat support) that the airline window seats have - I take it they don’t come under the “feet on seats” ban!

Last edited:

Prime586

When will the extra diagram on the Headbolt Lanes return? surely cant be far off now.
Seeing how often they seem to appear on there, it looks like they are using spare battery units to cover the Ormskirk line. At least they won't have to worry about raising and lowering the shoegear going wrong on there.

Liverpool 507

777032 has entered passenger service this morning, starting with 5B00 down to Chester. It should remain on Ellesmere Port services from 09:00.

777027 also entered service on Monday morning, starting with 5S00 to Liverpool Central and then on to Southport services. This just leaves 777021 to enter passenger service and then all 777s currently within Merseyside will have carried passengers, leaving just the sets coming from abroad/Wembley and Long Marston.

Last edited:

trainophile

Established Member
Have they always had the “please stand clear of the doors” announcements before and after every station? Or do they think the doors aren’t secure?

ExRes

Established Member
There's an 0611 0Z76 Kings Norton OTPD to Wembley Receptions 1-7, 1330 6Q77 to Walton Old Junction MSC Sidings and 2103 6Q78 to Kirkdale CS showing for Wednesday

There's now a 1429 5Q77 Long Marston to Walton running this afternoon, so some of the recently stored 777s on their way North

ExRes

Established Member
There's now a 1429 5Q77 Long Marston to Walton running this afternoon, so some of the recently stored 777s on their way North

It's a funny old day ..... 1429 5Q77 is still sitting at Long Marston so it's anyones guess if it's leaving today ****

The new incoming units are reported to have failed on the mainland, hopefully not actually the 777s of course ;)

**** 5Q77 now cancelled ****

It's a funny old day ..... 1429 5Q77 is still sitting at Long Marston so it's anyones guess if it's leaving today ****

The new incoming units are reported to have failed on the mainland, hopefully not actually the 777s of course ;)

**** 5Q77 now cancelled ****

** Updated 7th March **

6Q14 Dollands Moor to Wembley Receptions 1-7 reported running with 777038, 777051 & 777053 possibly for temporary storage as there is no onward schedule showing, there are currently a 1429 5Q79 Honeybourne Sidings (Long Marston) to Walton Old Junction and 2103 6Q80 to Kirkdale CS though

Last edited:

The_Train

Established Member
Have they always had the “please stand clear of the doors” announcements before and after every station? Or do they think the doors aren’t secure?
I think it has been added since they realised that having people standing in the massive space they created to increase standing capacity is causing door faults. Don't tell the Mayor though, he doesn't like anyone bad-mouthing his new trains :lol:

TheSel

I think it has been added since they realised that having people standing in the massive space they created to increase standing capacity is causing door faults. Don't tell the Mayor though, he doesn't like anyone bad-mouthing his new trains :lol:
Given that we already have the contradictory: "The next service is not in service" messages, how long before we get "No standing in the standing area" announcements? :rolleyes:

Skie

They’ve always had the stand clear of the doors announcements, even before they were in service. They did, amusingly, sometimes play it long after the doors had closed.

baldyman26

"Please stand clear of the doors". What's wrong with that? nothing worse than having to fight your way through numpties hovering around doors when there is loads of room in the trains

New one for me today on the internal LCD screens:
Yes, the voice announcements are working, as are the orange LED matrix displays.

Attachments

• IMG_20240307_153853Z.jpg
    IMG_20240307_153853Z.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 160