• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail extensions/service plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Moderator note: Split from

Clitheroe services don't stop between Salford and Bolton, Moses Gate/Clifton/Farnworth/Kearsley should be EMU stops on Wigan to Alderley Edge/Southport to Staly using the Cl769s once Wigan to Bolton is electrified. All the others would make sense, except Harrogate, which needs electrifying along with the whole of York to Leeds.
Northern should take the 350s off WMR when they become available and use them to operate Harrogate and Newcastle to Berwick via Morpeth. It's stupid to operate diesel services wholly under the wires and the electricity supply should be upgraded.
Southport services should definitely not have to do the Moses Gate/Farnworth/Kearsley/Clifton stops. It takes too long to get from Southport to Manchester even without them. There is an argument for them to be served by the Clitheroe services because of through connections to Hall-i’-th’-Wood and Bromley Cross or either Blackpool/Preston - Victoria EMUs because acceleration and connections to Lostock, Horwich Parkway and Blackrod, but definitely not Southport. Even more important is that Northern should definitely not be using DMUs of any kind to serve Harrogate because the line should have been electrified throughout when Bradford/Skipton/Ilkley were done if not earlier and was a priority for electrification in 1981 while those were not.
On 2 and 3, I wholly agree, but Merseyrail are replacing the stock, it's not their fault that the stock got so old.
The issue of the loop line was the same when the 507/508s were new. It’s nothing to do with their age.
From what I understand, there have been wheel wear issues with the 507/508 fleet for very many years. Perhaps with hindsight the loop tunnels were built with curves of slightly too tight a radius, though as ever it’s never quite that simple.
The problem was that there was no cooperation between the team doing the tunnel and the tram doing the 507/508s and their wheelbase. The 777s have been designed with a shorter wheelbase with the loop line specifically in mind, so wheel wear should be a thing of the past soon. Battery Headbolt Lane units will not be used in the loop though.
Maybe, but they had to work with what was there in terms of the Mersey Railway tunnels and Liverpool Central.
Overall, I think Merseyrail is a decent system, cheap, not particularly unreliable and fast enough.
I had no issues with the ride on the train when I visited it and was able to take my bike all the way through the system, something I wasn't expecting to be able to do in the tunnelled sections.
You have to bear in mind the trains have had very little investment since it was built.
Of course they were coming from the Mersey Railway tunnel, but I think it was more of an issue of the locations of Liverpool Exchange and Lime Street than just Central. The 507/508s received one of the most comprehensive refurbishments of any fleet in 2002-05 didn’t they? This is what resulted in their excellent universal bike carrying capability.

My only issue with Merseyrail is that the Wirral lines carry less passengers than the Northern lines but enjoy a higher frequency (originally 8tph to Birkenhead North and 6tph to Hooton with no more than 4tph anywhere on the Northern line except 12tph to Sandhills and 8tph Kirkdale which isn’t really as useful) and when it’s at it’s busiest, the demand to all stations is high and therefore passenger density is highest closer to Liverpool, but the Southport line is longer than Ormskirk, Kirkby or Hunts Cross so trains are busier and people travelling the longest distance can struggle to get seats. I would run additional Liverpool Central - Hall Road stoppers and Southport expresses first stop Hightown to resolve this. Bringing back the express would be useful because while it doesn’t take too long just to get from Southport to Liverpool, if you are connecting somewhere at Lime Street e.g. London, it becomes ever so slightly tedious, but are 507/508s or 777s best suited to run this express? Are there any lines where the service pattern on them is dictated by what stock is available to run services on them, as opposed to the slow accelerating/end door stock on stopping services?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlastairFraser

Established Member
Southport services should definitely not have to do the Moses Gate/Farnworth/Kearsley/Clifton stops. It takes too long to get from Southport to Manchester even without them. There is an argument for them to be served by the Clitheroe services because of through connections to Hall-i’-th’-Wood and Bromley Cross or either Blackpool/Preston - Victoria EMUs because acceleration and connections to Lostock, Horwich Parkway and Blackrod, but definitely not Southport. Even more important is that Northern should definitely not be using DMUs of any kind to serve Harrogate because the line should have been electrified throughout when Bradford/Skipton/Ilkley were done if not earlier and was a priority for electrification in 1981 while those were not.

The issue of the loop line was the same when the 507/508s were new. It’s nothing to do with their age.

The problem was that there was no cooperation between the team doing the tunnel and the tram doing the 507/508s and their wheelbase. The 777s have been designed with a shorter wheelbase with the loop line specifically in mind, so wheel wear should be a thing of the past soon. Battery Headbolt Lane units will not be used in the loop though.

Of course they were coming from the Mersey Railway tunnel, but I think it was more of an issue of the locations of Liverpool Exchange and Lime Street than just Central. The 507/508s received one of the most comprehensive refurbishments of any fleet in 2002-05 didn’t they? This is what resulted in their excellent universal bike carrying capability.

My only issue with Merseyrail is that the Wirral lines carry less passengers than the Northern lines but enjoy a higher frequency (originally 8tph to Birkenhead North and 6tph to Hooton with no more than 4tph anywhere on the Northern line except 12tph to Sandhills and 8tph Kirkdale which isn’t really as useful) and when it’s at it’s busiest, the demand to all stations is high and therefore passenger density is highest closer to Liverpool, but the Southport line is longer than Ormskirk, Kirkby or Hunts Cross so trains are busier and people travelling the longest distance can struggle to get seats. I would run additional Liverpool Central - Hall Road stoppers and Southport expresses first stop Hightown to resolve this. Bringing back the express would be useful because while it doesn’t take too long just to get from Southport to Liverpool, if you are connecting somewhere at Lime Street e.g. London, it becomes ever so slightly tedious, but are 507/508s or 777s best suited to run this express? Are there any lines where the service pattern on them is dictated by what stock is available to run services on them, as opposed to the slow accelerating/end door stock on stopping services?
Firstly, if Southport services headed up to Bolton stopping, then switched to diesel at Ince, then it would be quicker than using the Atherton line.
That would link south Bolton and Salford to Wigan additionally, when connecting the south Bolton stations to the Clitheroe stations is virtually pointless except for perhaps Horwich Parkway for the footy, as flows from Bromley Cross/Lostock/Hall-i'-th'-Wood are arterial heading to central Mcr/Salford/Bolton.

The Preston to Vic stopper maybe, but it depends if paths could be found. The Blackpool to Man Airport/Hazel Grove services are regional services and should not be slowed down by additional suburban stops. 1tph of the Southport services sent this way (maybe the Southport to Oxford Rd) plus 1tph Preston to Vic stopper would be a reasonable service level. Plus 2tph Southport to Stalybridge.

Yeah, I broadly agree with you on Harrogate and the loop, they had to work with what they got and I don't think any Mark 3 derived emu would be perfect for it.
Glad to hear the Class 777s are better designed for it, but where will the Kirkby HBL services terminate if not the loop. What's the issue with having batteries in the loop?
I'm sure they were refurbished relatively recently, but they've never had the facilities of other regional S-Bahn type systems, this is irrelevant given the price, frequency, decent comfort and convenient interchanges available on the system.

The main issue with the Wirral lines I think is the lack of integration with the Borderlands line, if it had third rail at least down to Shotton (as it would have if common sense prevailed at the ORR), then some of that excessive West Kirby/New Brighton service could be diverted to a through Borderlands service to Shotton from the loop and the Wirral line would have a similar number of passengers.

I think jamming more trains from Central to Bootle is a no go, there's very little space in the timetable to turn back. Best solution I think would be to reopen the Burscough Curves, extend on battery from Ormskirk to Southport that way skipping stations to Maghull and extend the other 2tph to Preston in their existing forms. Kirkby should be extended as 1tph to Wigan on battery and 2tph to Skem.
A longer term priority should be reopening the Outer Circle to take a lot of peripheral journeys like Bootle to Wavertree out of the core, that would solve a lot of the crowding on the inner Northern line.

Established Member
Firstly, if Southport services headed up to Bolton stopping, then switched to diesel at Ince, then it would be quicker than using the Atherton line.
That would link south Bolton and Salford to Wigan additionally, when connecting the south Bolton stations to the Clitheroe stations is virtually pointless except for perhaps Horwich Parkway for the footy, as flows from Bromley Cross/Lostock/Hall-i'-th'-Wood are arterial heading to central Mcr/Salford/Bolton.

The Preston to Vic stopper maybe, but it depends if paths could be found. The Blackpool to Man Airport/Hazel Grove services are regional services and should not be slowed down by additional suburban stops. 1tph of the Southport services sent this way (maybe the Southport to Oxford Rd) plus 1tph Preston to Vic stopper would be a reasonable service level. Plus 2tph Southport to Stalybridge.

Yeah, I broadly agree with you on Harrogate and the loop, they had to work with what they got and I don't think any Mark 3 derived emu would be perfect for it.
Glad to hear the Class 777s are better designed for it, but where will the Kirkby HBL services terminate if not the loop. What's the issue with having batteries in the loop?
I'm sure they were refurbished relatively recently, but they've never had the facilities of other regional S-Bahn type systems, this is irrelevant given the price, frequency, decent comfort and convenient interchanges available on the system.

The main issue with the Wirral lines I think is the lack of integration with the Borderlands line, if it had third rail at least down to Shotton (as it would have if common sense prevailed at the ORR), then some of that excessive West Kirby/New Brighton service could be diverted to a through Borderlands service to Shotton from the loop and the Wirral line would have a similar number of passengers.

I think jamming more trains from Central to Bootle is a no go, there's very little space in the timetable to turn back. Best solution I think would be to reopen the Burscough Curves, extend on battery from Ormskirk to Southport that way skipping stations to Maghull and extend the other 2tph to Preston in their existing forms. Kirkby should be extended as 1tph to Wigan on battery and 2tph to Skem.
A longer term priority should be reopening the Outer Circle to take a lot of peripheral journeys like Bootle to Wavertree out of the core, that would solve a lot of the crowding on the inner Northern line.
Southport services need to serve the stations on their own line at Meols Cop, Burscough Bridge, Parbold, Appley Bridge and Gathurst and obviously have to stop at Wigan Wallgate. After all that the Atherton line with all its stops and 50mph line speed is really too slow. It makes sense for the larger towns along the route of Southport, Wigan and Bolton (leaving services from Kirkby and Wigan to serve the Atherton line) and I have no objection to stopping at the very pleasant Hindley and Westhoughton if it means a direct service to Bolton, but under no circumstances should any train from Southport that has already been travelling for an hour by the time it reaches Bolton have to stop anywhere else before it reaches the Manchester destination stations and should always run fast to Salford Crescent, preferably at 100mph if Network Rail will let the 769s run at their design speed. There really needs to be something else serving Moses Gate/Farnworth/Kearsley/Clifton because serving them eliminates the time advantage of not going via Atherton.

Local journeys are not made at present because there are no cross-Bolton services. It makes sense to me to link south Bolton stations (Moses Gate/Farnworth/Kearsley/Clifton) to north Bolton stations (Bromley Cross/Hall-i’-th’-Wood) but the argument for putting them in Preston/Blackpool services is that a 331 with fast acceleration and 100mph top speed will not be slowed down anywhere near as much by them as a Southport/Clitheroe Sprinter. Horwich Parkway is not on the Blackburn/Clitheroe line it is on the Chorley/Preston line, but you can’t tell me that there wouldn’t be significant football traffic from Moses Gate/Farnworth/Kearsley/Clifton to Horwich Parkway, so that seems to settle it. I should add that they are likely to be served by the Wigan - Stalybridge 323s in a few years.

I don’t understand why the Harrogate line needs 350s instead of 333s or 331s, but it doesn’t really matter since they are all good EMUs and only all DMUs are completely unsuitable for the line as it should have been electrified throughout for 30 years and arguably needs doing with priority over the main TransPennine route from Leeds to York.

The Kirkby/Headbolt Lane services will terminate where they presently do in the Northern line platforms at Liverpool Central because Kirkby is on the Northern line and there is no access to the loop if not coming to the Wirral. The Kirkby services will be extended over the unelectrified line to Headbolt Lane and so will have to be run exclusively by battery 777s. Only the battery equipped 777s will be capable of running to Headbolt Lane and so will be dedicated entirely to it. There is no specific reason why a battery unit couldn’t run round the loop but because they will all be needed for Headbolt Lane services you will never find one on the Wirral Line. This means the rest of the fleet will receive disproportionately more wheel wear and they will be unable to cycle the entire fleet through the loop as they currently do without removing the batteries and fitting them to other units.

If the Borderlands line is also served by battery 777s with a charger at Wrexham, that would solve this issue because battery units could be shared between Headbolt Lane and Wrexham services. It would also increase the service to Birkenhead North from 8tph to 10tph unless the Wrexham service runs non-stop to Bidston because you couldn’t cut the frequency to West Kirkby or New Brighton in favour of Wrexham and I am not saying this frequency is excessive. It should be mirrored on the other side of the river, with something like 8tph to Bootle and Aintree and 6tph to Kirkby and Hunts Cross.

Central needs 4 platforms since the 2 platforms at Central currently get more passengers than the 10 platforms at Lime Street and Central to Bootle needs to be 4 tracks as it originally was. You would have to open out the 2 single bore tunnels through Moorfields to the same diameter as at Farnworth for 4 track running with clearances for potential future conversion to overhead power and removal of the third rail. As far as Bootle and Walton the trackbed is already 4 tracks wide and a few platforms just need reopening.

I’m glad you agree with me about the Burscough Curves because obviously with 4tph to Ormskirk, extend 2tph to Southport and 2tph to Preston which would also provide 4tph to Burscough Junction which is very much justifiable and then even more importantly run 2tph Southport - Preston all with battery 777s. Don’t move any stations around north of Ormskirk. You would need to resignal Southport - Burscough Bridge to allow 6tph, or in reality about 8tph for resiliency/sandite/deicing and obviously remove the partition at Ormskirk because it would be stupid having 777s at both ends both laying over when they could just continue. It would be most sensible to redouble Ormskirk - Preston but you could run the service on the single line with a certain signalling arrangement. Ormskirk definitely needs 2 platforms even without any new services, but not expensive lifts because there has always been step free access to the disused northbound platform via the existing road bridge, the same arrangement that exists at Burscough Bridge and Burscough Junction.

Other lines that need doing are the North Mersey Branch from Bootle to Aintree via Linacre Road and Captian’s Lane and the CLC North Liverpool Extension from Hunts Cross to Aintree which is the outer circle you describe, although you shouldn’t run a circular service on it. All structures along the route were built to 4 track width so it’s possible to reopen it as a railway and retain the valuable parallel cycleway. It should be reopened in 3 phases. First to Gateacre, then to Knotty Ash for Alder Hey via aBroad Green Low Level and finally to Aintree. Put 4 platforms at Aintree and have services terminate from Bootle and Hunts Cross directions with the main Preston/Southport via Ormskirk services using the existing platforms.

What I would do is run 2tph Liverpool - Southport all stops via Hightown, 2tph Liverpool - Hall Road all stops, 2tph Liverpool - Southport express first stop Hightown, 2tph Liverpool - Southport via Ormskirk, 2tph Southport - Preston, 2tph Liverpool - Preston via Ormskirk, 2tph Liverpool - Aintree via Bootle and 4tph Liverpool - Headbolt Lane with some continuing to Skelmersdale and some continuing to Wigan. Then 1tph Southport - Wigan - Bolton - Piccadilly - Manchester Airport and 1tph Southport - Wigan - Bolton - Victoria - Rochdale - Halifax - Bradford - Leeds, neither stopping anywhere between Bolton and Salford Crescent and the service to Leeds via Batley terminating at Victoria.

There is an important need for a direct service between Rainford and Upholland. I’m not sure you would have to omit stops from the Liverpool - Southport via Ormksirk because it would only take at most 5 minutes longer than the main all stops service and the fast service can be provided via the main route. If you did you would have to provide something else terminating at Aintree to compensate and I don’t know how much terminal capacity there would be. There is also the issue that while Hall Road is both the turnback and the end of the continuous conurbation of Liverpool, you can’t currently reverse a train at Aintree and Old Roan is the end of the continuous conurbation of Liverpool. When the Kirkby line was closed after the crash and 6tph ran to Aintree, half of them ran empty to Old Roan and reversed there. It would make sense to run something to there, but there isn’t space for 4 platforms there.

South of Liverpool Central some services should continue to Warrington or Birchwood and some to Gateacre/Knotty Ash/Aintree. Then your CLC service from Lime Street to Manchester wouldn’t need to stop at every station but if you’re only having separate services from both ends, at least make them overlap at Warrington because of the even greater need for cross-Warrington services than cross-Bolton services. I’ve noticed that there is a bus from Bootle to Wavertree so there might actually be a lot of journeys between them. You would either have to go to Aintree and either reverse or go over the footbridge, get off at Broad Green Low Level and either change again, walk or go on one of the electric scooters or something, or build a tunnel from south of your 4 platform Central to connect with the Wapping tunnel to Edge Hill and run services from Central to St Helens, Newton-le-Willows and Runcorn, putting the proper Wavertree station on the WCML by the swimming pool back in as well as Sefton Park while you’re at it. These services no longer running into Lime Street will free up capacity for HS2 and NPR.

AlastairFraser

Established Member
Southport services need to serve the stations on their own line at Meols Cop, Burscough Bridge, Parbold, Appley Bridge and Gathurst and obviously have to stop at Wigan Wallgate. After all that the Atherton line with all its stops and 50mph line speed is really too slow. It makes sense for the larger towns along the route of Southport, Wigan and Bolton (leaving services from Kirkby and Wigan to serve the Atherton line) and I have no objection to stopping at the very pleasant Hindley and Westhoughton if it means a direct service to Bolton, but under no circumstances should any train from Southport that has already been travelling for an hour by the time it reaches Bolton have to stop anywhere else before it reaches the Manchester destination stations and should always run fast to Salford Crescent, preferably at 100mph if Network Rail will let the 769s run at their design speed. There really needs to be something else serving Moses Gate/Farnworth/Kearsley/Clifton because serving them eliminates the time advantage of not going via Atherton.

Local journeys are not made at present because there are no cross-Bolton services. It makes sense to me to link south Bolton stations (Moses Gate/Farnworth/Kearsley/Clifton) to north Bolton stations (Bromley Cross/Hall-i’-th’-Wood) but the argument for putting them in Preston/Blackpool services is that a 331 with fast acceleration and 100mph top speed will not be slowed down anywhere near as much by them as a Southport/Clitheroe Sprinter. Horwich Parkway is not on the Blackburn/Clitheroe line it is on the Chorley/Preston line, but you can’t tell me that there wouldn’t be significant football traffic from Moses Gate/Farnworth/Kearsley/Clifton to Horwich Parkway, so that seems to settle it. I should add that they are likely to be served by the Wigan - Stalybridge 323s in a few years.

I don’t understand why the Harrogate line needs 350s instead of 333s or 331s, but it doesn’t really matter since they are all good EMUs and only all DMUs are completely unsuitable for the line as it should have been electrified throughout for 30 years and arguably needs doing with priority over the main TransPennine route from Leeds to York.

The Kirkby/Headbolt Lane services will terminate where they presently do in the Northern line platforms at Liverpool Central because Kirkby is on the Northern line and there is no access to the loop if not coming to the Wirral. The Kirkby services will be extended over the unelectrified line to Headbolt Lane and so will have to be run exclusively by battery 777s. Only the battery equipped 777s will be capable of running to Headbolt Lane and so will be dedicated entirely to it. There is no specific reason why a battery unit couldn’t run round the loop but because they will all be needed for Headbolt Lane services you will never find one on the Wirral Line. This means the rest of the fleet will receive disproportionately more wheel wear and they will be unable to cycle the entire fleet through the loop as they currently do without removing the batteries and fitting them to other units.

If the Borderlands line is also served by battery 777s with a charger at Wrexham, that would solve this issue because battery units could be shared between Headbolt Lane and Wrexham services. It would also increase the service to Birkenhead North from 8tph to 10tph unless the Wrexham service runs non-stop to Bidston because you couldn’t cut the frequency to West Kirkby or New Brighton in favour of Wrexham and I am not saying this frequency is excessive. It should be mirrored on the other side of the river, with something like 8tph to Bootle and Aintree and 6tph to Kirkby and Hunts Cross.

Central needs 4 platforms since the 2 platforms at Central currently get more passengers than the 10 platforms at Lime Street and Central to Bootle needs to be 4 tracks as it originally was. You would have to open out the 2 single bore tunnels through Moorfields to the same diameter as at Farnworth for 4 track running with clearances for potential future conversion to overhead power and removal of the third rail. As far as Bootle and Walton the trackbed is already 4 tracks wide and a few platforms just need reopening.

I’m glad you agree with me about the Burscough Curves because obviously with 4tph to Ormskirk, extend 2tph to Southport and 2tph to Preston which would also provide 4tph to Burscough Junction which is very much justifiable and then even more importantly run 2tph Southport - Preston all with battery 777s. Don’t move any stations around north of Ormskirk. You would need to resignal Southport - Burscough Bridge to allow 6tph, or in reality about 8tph for resiliency/sandite/deicing and obviously remove the partition at Ormskirk because it would be stupid having 777s at both ends both laying over when they could just continue. It would be most sensible to redouble Ormskirk - Preston but you could run the service on the single line with a certain signalling arrangement. Ormskirk definitely needs 2 platforms even without any new services, but not expensive lifts because there has always been step free access to the disused northbound platform via the existing road bridge, the same arrangement that exists at Burscough Bridge and Burscough Junction.

Other lines that need doing are the North Mersey Branch from Bootle to Aintree via Linacre Road and Captian’s Lane and the CLC North Liverpool Extension from Hunts Cross to Aintree which is the outer circle you describe, although you shouldn’t run a circular service on it. All structures along the route were built to 4 track width so it’s possible to reopen it as a railway and retain the valuable parallel cycleway. It should be reopened in 3 phases. First to Gateacre, then to Knotty Ash for Alder Hey via aBroad Green Low Level and finally to Aintree. Put 4 platforms at Aintree and have services terminate from Bootle and Hunts Cross directions with the main Preston/Southport via Ormskirk services using the existing platforms.

What I would do is run 2tph Liverpool - Southport all stops via Hightown, 2tph Liverpool - Hall Road all stops, 2tph Liverpool - Southport express first stop Hightown, 2tph Liverpool - Southport via Ormskirk, 2tph Southport - Preston, 2tph Liverpool - Preston via Ormskirk, 2tph Liverpool - Aintree via Bootle and 4tph Liverpool - Headbolt Lane with some continuing to Skelmersdale and some continuing to Wigan. Then 1tph Southport - Wigan - Bolton - Piccadilly - Manchester Airport and 1tph Southport - Wigan - Bolton - Victoria - Rochdale - Halifax - Bradford - Leeds, neither stopping anywhere between Bolton and Salford Crescent and the service to Leeds via Batley terminating at Victoria.

There is an important need for a direct service between Rainford and Upholland. I’m not sure you would have to omit stops from the Liverpool - Southport via Ormksirk because it would only take at most 5 minutes longer than the main all stops service and the fast service can be provided via the main route. If you did you would have to provide something else terminating at Aintree to compensate and I don’t know how much terminal capacity there would be. There is also the issue that while Hall Road is both the turnback and the end of the continuous conurbation of Liverpool, you can’t currently reverse a train at Aintree and Old Roan is the end of the continuous conurbation of Liverpool. When the Kirkby line was closed after the crash and 6tph ran to Aintree, half of them ran empty to Old Roan and reversed there. It would make sense to run something to there, but there isn’t space for 4 platforms there.

South of Liverpool Central some services should continue to Warrington or Birchwood and some to Gateacre/Knotty Ash/Aintree. Then your CLC service from Lime Street to Manchester wouldn’t need to stop at every station but if you’re only having separate services from both ends, at least make them overlap at Warrington because of the even greater need for cross-Warrington services than cross-Bolton services. I’ve noticed that there is a bus from Bootle to Wavertree so there might actually be a lot of journeys between them. You would either have to go to Aintree and either reverse or go over the footbridge, get off at Broad Green Low Level and either change again, walk or go on one of the electric scooters or something, or build a tunnel from south of your 4 platform Central to connect with the Wapping tunnel to Edge Hill and run services from Central to St Helens, Newton-le-Willows and Runcorn, putting the proper Wavertree station on the WCML by the swimming pool back in as well as Sefton Park while you’re at it. These services no longer running into Lime Street will free up capacity for HS2 and NPR.
Wigan to Alderley Edge makes more sense than Clitheroe, buses will always do cross-Bolton connections better because the stations aren't particularly well located for large parts of Bolton and also the buses are quite well integrated with other forms of transport using the get me there card, this is only set to increase with Andy Burnham's bus reforms.
If the train in GM was integrated with the get me there, then maybe these stations may merit a direct connection with other stations than Bolton and perhaps Horwich Parkway, but very few will go to the bother of buying a train ticket plus a bus fare to get where they're going, when there's a more direct bus at a cheaper combined price.
I know it's on the Preston line, which is why I suggested putting the 4 stops on the Preston to Vic stopper, run once an hour.
Even with the great acceleration of the 331, Blackpool North and Preston are major destinations that need direct services.
Stick a 319 on the Vic as it is currently and that will do your stopper just fine.

There aren't enough 331/333s for any more electrification, the 350s will be up for grabs very soon and a 5 car 350 is the perfect length to run services and get out of the way on the main line into York and section of the Harrogate line east of Knaresborough. They would also work well on the Transpennine stoppers on the Hudds/Calder Valley line, whether TPE or Northern, especially for TPE as a Desiro like their Class 185.

As for Kirkby, that makes sense. Maybe the battery units could be given a run on the Wirral Line ECS at night, cut back any engineering possessions once a week to make sure they don't wear out unevenly.
The Borderlands plan sounds good and it would be silly to run fast to Bidston as you cut out half the benefits of serving all those intermediate stations then.
Adding platforms at Central is certainly a good idea, but it's a case of waiting for funding and I think it will take a long time for such a major infrastructure project, definitely a plan should be produced though.

In response to your Burscough plan, 2tph to Preston and 2tph to Southport definitely works, just need to find paths.
I think the bus corners the Preston to Southport market for now, but provision being made for the northern curve being opened should be done at the same time the western curve is reopened. A change at Burscough Bridge on the Southport to Liverpool onto a Liverpool to Preston is a good alternative.
Agreed on signalling, Ormskirk and stations north of it, but Preston to Ormskirk definitely needs redoubling to fit in the timetable, the trackbed is all there, should be very few issues with reinstating platforms and the conversion of the single lead junction onto the Fylde Lines at Farington Curve Jcn.
It should be possible to reopen the Outer Circle as an extension of services from Hunts Cross to terminate in Bootle, maybe you could have platforms for the Outer Circle at approx. right angles to the main Aintree station like Liskeard? Or further down the road at Ealing Rd, with a short sharply curved tunnel towards the Bootle branch. Why not terminate that service at Bootle, then there would a direct change from all branches to the north-eastern and eastern part of the loop avoiding the city centre? Rice Lane's platforms could be moved a bit closer to the intersection of both lines, serves Archbishop Beck College better too. As to your Merseyrail service plan, mostly decent, except the Southport via Hightown express, which would take up too much capacity. I would extend your Bootle terminators to Aintree via the branch in the short term to serve the inner Liverpool/Sefton market.

Southport to Leeds seems a little time consuming, don't see what the point is when you could run Southport to Staly and still have the same links to Yorkshire, much faster in the case of Leeds.
Southport to Picc takes up too much capacity as the Mcr Recovery Task Force have told Southport passengers, Southport to Mcr Oxford Rd would do fine, where you can make onward connections to most places in Mcr.
I don't dispute that Rainford and Upholland need a direct service, I don't know how you inferred that I'd cut their direct service. My Kirkby line plan is 2tph to Skem and 2tph to Wigan,all stops.
Rainford would be the last stop before a Skem line junction, so certainly possible.
The 2tph I would run to Bootle then Aintree provides for the fast dropping some inner stations, maybe stop the fast at Old Roan and Aintree. The fast would be great for inter Sefton connectivity, a common complaints of Sefton residents because it would give Maghull a direct and reasonably timed public transport link to Southport.

I think I'd split services going to Hunts Cross to the loop and Warrington Central. This is where the 777s need their pantographs fitting, or at least some of them because the whole line needs electrifying for NPR/HS2 as well and you could still terminate the stoppers at Warrington from either end (tram train from Mcr), but run an electrified version of the Lime St to Mcr Oxford Rd stopper through twice an hour.
Reopen the Bootle Dock Branch and electrify at 25kv, run services into the other end of those 2 new Oriel Rd platforms, then open Tuebrook, Walton (proper), Clubmoor and Newsham Park stations. Build a flyunder and interchange at Wavertree Technology Park, reopen Wavertree, run through to Chester all stops via the Halton Curve. Then you've got a half-decent regional network that Merseyrail should be.

My personal preference for NPR/HS2 in the area is for it to follow the old line through Warrington to Liverpool South Parkway as planned, then a tunnel under the alignment for there to Edge Hill under the depot, surfacing briefly to join the Wapping Tunnel to a station on the site of the old Park Lane station. It would further the revitalisation of that section of the waterfront and there's enough room to build a decent sized station and course on the huge car park there currently. It's right next to an arena, the Tate Liverpool, several Museum and not too far from the Ferry terminal and James St station/ Liverpool One. No room at Lime St without spending billions.
If you want to run St Helens/NLW stations into Liverpool Central, you should reopen the Waterloo/Victoria tunnels and build connecting tunnels as there's nothing to serve at the end of those, doubt they're ever going to be reopened.
Everton have been saying for years they'll move to Bramley Moore Dock, but that would be better served by a dockside tram from the city centre to Bootle as there's too much in the way to serve the stadium properly.

You might or might not have seen Liverpool Underground by Kayla Bibby. As much as I don't agree with all of it, I agree with the main idea that Merseyside needs real vision, no half measures. We need to get serious about transport infastructure.

Liverpool Underground Kayla Bibby

I'm Callum by the way, 17-year-old lifelong rail enthusiast from Childwall, Liverpool, Merseyside. Nice to meet you all!

I definitely agree on reopening the North Mersey Branch Line (Bootle New Strand to Aintree) and the North Liverpool Extension Line (Hunts Cross to Aintree), but I also think they should re-lay the Southport and Cheshire Lines Extension Railway track bed from Old Road to Woodvale and build a new junction between Woodvale and Ainsdale on the Southport branch. What kinds of services could we be running on this do you think?

I also definitely agree with reopening the Canada Dock Branch. What kinds of services could we be running on this do you think?

Last edited:

Established Member
I don’t agree with Kayla Bibby’s design at all because it doesn’t include either of the Burscough Curves and those should be central to Merseyrail’s expansion. The problem with the Southport and Cheshire Lines Extension Railway is that it doesn’t serve anything. Journeys between Southport and Aintree could be made via the Burscough South Curve and from stations on the North Liverpool Extension you could either go via Hunts Cross, change at Aintree, or the train from Hunts Cross to Aintree could continue to Southport in a loop via the Burscough South Curve, so there is no particular need for the Southport and Cheshire Lines Extension Railway and it can’t be a priority above the Burscough Curves and the North Mersey Branch. The electrified branch to Crossens would be vastly more useful, running through the densely populated northern end of Southport, but it has the opposite problem that virtually all of the trackbed has been built on.

No of course not above the Burscough curves as the two lines are basically there, you just need to connect them, making it far easier to do. Anyhow, a reopened station at Altcar and Hillhouse wouldn't go amiss in my opinion as it means the village of Great Altcar (plus Farmer Tedd's) would be reconnected to the railways. Anyhow, regarding reopening the Canada Dock branch, how would we go about it? Would we be reopening Canada Dock and Alexandra Dock railway stations with it? Or would we just create a connection to the Northern Line and that's that.

Last edited:

Established Member
No of course not above the Burscough curves as the two lines are basically there, you just need to connect them, making it far easier to do. Anyhow, a reopened station at Altcar and Hillhouse wouldn't go amiss in my opinion as it means the village of Great Altcar (plus Farmer Tedd's) would be reconnected to the railways. Anyhow, regarding reopening the Canada Dock branch, how would we go about it? Would we be reopening Canada Dock and Alexandra Dock railway stations with it? Or would we just create a connection to the Northern Line and that's that.
I think just a connection with the Northern line at Bootle (there is one there already and it is how the 777s have been delivered) will be sufficient and with 4 tracks through Bootle trains could either continue to Southport, Hall Road, Aintree, Ormskirk or Preston. The same argument exists about Gladstone Dock on the North Mersey Branch which I don’t think will reopen.

Altcar & Hillhouse is the one I frequently cite as being so in the middle of nowhere that the line wouldn’t be worth reopening at all. In the distant future if cars almost completely fall out of use to the point where another line from Liverpool to Southport is needed and Farmer Ted’s becomes too inaccessible then it might make sense to reopen the whole line, converting the coast road back into a railway, but it definitely is at the bottom of the list of priorities for reopenings and other Merseyrail extensions. Have you been to the site of Hillhouse Junction, where a metal bridge deck from the Liverpool, Southport and Preston Junction Railway still exists?

AGH

Priority should be the Burscough curves. Low cost big benefits. Services extended from Ormskirk to Southport and Southport to Preston help north Merseyside and west Lancashire connections. Skem link again high up the list with even extension of service from Hunts Cross to Gateacre brings in Woolton, Lee Park and Belle Vale all within reach of Merseyrail.

The rest is just a wish list. Bootle to Aintree just doesn't serve enough people and the rest of the outer loop has traffic mainly heading into the city not around it. More justification of reopening the inner loop to serve Walton, Anfield and Edge Lane. That could link up at Bootle and only then arguably extension to Aintree. Anfield stadium expansion justifies this alone.

The Aintree to Southport was closed for a reason and the developments just don't justify reopening. Cost of bridging Switch Island alone would be huge and most of the track bed is rural still.

See no call for the dock routes reopening save that Evertons new ground will be in desperate need of volume public transport eventually. Buses won't cope with that.

Dont buy the battery project. Third rail works and regardless of the concerns should be extended. Battery is not proven technology yet.

tetudo boy

You might or might not have seen Liverpool Underground by Kayla Bibby. As much as I don't agree with all of it, I agree with the main idea that Merseyside needs real vision, no half measures. We need to get serious about transport infastructure.

Liverpool Underground Kayla Bibby

I'm Callum by the way, 17-year-old lifelong rail enthusiast from Childwall, Liverpool, Merseyside. Nice to meet you all!

I definitely agree on reopening the North Mersey Branch Line (Bootle New Strand to Aintree) and the North Liverpool Extension Line (Hunts Cross to Aintree), but I also think they should re-lay the Southport and Cheshire Lines Extension Railway track bed from Old Road to Woodvale and build a new junction between Woodvale and Ainsdale on the Southport branch. What kinds of services could we be running on this do you think?

I also definitely agree with reopening the Canada Dock Branch. What kinds of services could we be running on this do you think?
Seeing as Merseyrail is getting mentioned here ALOT recently, I thought I'd come back, Hi!

Personally, Kayla's vision is imperfect. It doesn't realise the Buscourgh Curve development, which is an essential thing to get back into service, and running WCML trains directly through John Lennon Airport is going to cause huge problems with capacity. Reducing it to a branch spurring from LSP will be better. There are also some ridiculous suggestions here, such as a Liverpool spaceport??? I know this is what she thinks Liverpool will look like in 2050, but a lot of these are unrealistic.

There are some things I can give her, though, for example, Liscard getting a rail service and the Canada Dock branch reopening to passengers (though I think she needs to relook on the non-Canada dock sections Sergeant Pepper line in the 2015 version, and maybe rename it to something more satisfying.). Also, the painfully busy 14 bus service has got a rail connection, and Cheshire Oaks also has a service, so those are good things.

I can't really see this happening, since she isn't a Merseytravel official, rather she is working for a "consulting structural and civil engineers in Liverpool City Centre.", whatever that is. It' also been 8 years since she first announced this, 6 if you count the last one, so it may be dated.

Don't get me wrong, Kayla's whole idea is unrealistic, but electric-battery Class 777s aren't how you solve everything...

I definitely see what you're saying about the Liverpool Spaceport thing though, but here's what needs to happen for starters.

Firstly, new stations at the already-mentioned Headbolt Lane, Vauxhall, St James, Carr Mill and Woodchurch which would definitely go a long way in being a first step.

Secondly reinstate the Burscough curves as you say, a next step towards providing better overall connections and increasing service possibilities, as this should be central next step.

Next, begin to reopen more rail lines as time goes on, starting with Skelmersdale for example, the largest town in the North West without a rail connection. The do the Canada Dock branch I say, then go on and do the North Liverpool Extension line between Hunts Cross/Halewood and Aintree with a new low level station at Broad Green. Then do the Southport and Cheshire Lines Extension Railway, relaying the track bed from Old Road to Woodvale, before building a new connection between Woodvale and Ainsdale, connecting it and the Northern line (in my opinion anyways).

Then, two much needed new stations at Cheshire Oaks and Liverpool John Lennon Airport (at the actual airport, not forcing passengers to rely on what is an unreliable bus service).

Now, public transport is becoming more attractive to many car users overall, reducing traffic on the roads. Begin to expand and develop as it becomes more of a natural choice to the general public than what it currently is...

Btw Cronton, for example, definitely needs better public transport service, it has a high school, and it currently endures a poor punctuality, low-frequency bus service and needs better.

Last edited:

wobman

On Moderation
Priority should be the Burscough curves. Low cost big benefits. Services extended from Ormskirk to Southport and Southport to Preston help north Merseyside and west Lancashire connections. Skem link again high up the list with even extension of service from Hunts Cross to Gateacre brings in Woolton, Lee Park and Belle Vale all within reach of Merseyrail.

The rest is just a wish list. Bootle to Aintree just doesn't serve enough people and the rest of the outer loop has traffic mainly heading into the city not around it. More justification of reopening the inner loop to serve Walton, Anfield and Edge Lane. That could link up at Bootle and only then arguably extension to Aintree. Anfield stadium expansion justifies this alone.

The Aintree to Southport was closed for a reason and the developments just don't justify reopening. Cost of bridging Switch Island alone would be huge and most of the track bed is rural still.

See no call for the dock routes reopening save that Evertons new ground will be in desperate need of volume public transport eventually. Buses won't cope with that.

Dont buy the battery project. Third rail works and regardless of the concerns should be extended. Battery is not proven technology yet.
Regarding batteries they are a lot cheaper than any 3rd rail extension, for example the borderlands line 3rd rail expansion is projected at over £200 million. That makes it unviable but battery extensions of services makes the financial Sence, that's once the caravan technology catches up.

Status
Not open for further replies.