• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail legacy fleet updates (Class 507/508)

Chris 1980

I was referring to 001, I doubt very much that it is recieving an old livery, possibly just patching up the current one, but not too sure.
I regularly chat with someone who has been in contact with Angel Trains over the last few months about the preservation of one of these units. He had been informed apparently, that 507001 was supposedly getting a heritage livery. We can only hope! :wub: :wub: I think this would be absolutely amazing! If any are to receive one, the pioneer 507 is the absolute one to do it on!

Thank you for the report which has allowed me to catch it with a minimal wait. 001's still in excellent fettle and good to see it on the line where it all began on the anniversary.
I absolutely hope that Robert Hampton of the Class 507 Preservation Society secures this unit for preservation! :wub:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

3973EXL

Established Member

F262YTJ

Looks like the scrap move for 508139 and 141 is on for today. Tge loco has arrived at Birkenhead North TMD.

L401CJF

Established Member
Photos have emerged online of 507001 in a BR Blue livery. Not 100% accurate of course but a nice tribute!

At least I think its real and not photoshopped!

Photos have emerged online of 507001 in a BR Blue livery. Not 100% accurate of course but a nice tribute!

One Merseyrail member of staff has posted on their twitter that 507001 is just undergoing routine maintenance. Apparently the photo you've shared is a "very good Photoshop job".

Best not to spread what could be rumours until anything official is confirmed..

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Only ones left now are 103 104 108 114 120 131 136, so down to 7 units

Thanks. Given Hunts Cross to Southport will be the last bastion of these into '24, I'm not in a huge rush. Whether 507 or 508 is all the same to me, might get a final one in though.

prod_pep

Established Member
One Merseyrail member of staff has posted on their twitter that 507001 is just undergoing routine maintenance. Apparently the photo you've shared is a "very good Photoshop job".

I saw it with my own eyes before so it must be one hell of a photoshop job! :lol:

507001 is now out of view at the back of Birkenhead North shed having shunted with 508131 earlier. This unit then pulled 507011 and 013 out of North shed, with the two 507s working empty up to Southport for the afternoon peak.

childwallblues

Established Member

Sorry but I was on the 1238 NBN-LVC which passed Birkenhead North Depot at 1249 when 508131 was dragging a BR blue painted 507 out of the shed.
For good measure I was fortunate to ride 508103 on the 1131 from Moorfields to New Brighton and 508108 on the 1451 from Sandhills to Hunts Cross and then back to Liverpool South Parkway.

prod_pep

Established Member
507001 is knackered and it's going to be on static display within Birkenhead North TMD.
Let's just say I doubt that somehow. It costs many thousands to re-vinyl a 507 (the Liverpool 08 units were £20k each in 2008) so they are hardly going to do that for a static display. If it does get preserved, the first thing the society will do is peel off its livery to carry out corrosion repair so it hasn't been done for that.

507001 was running fine last week on the Southport line and can't be that knackered as it moved into the shed today.

Established Member
Let's just say I doubt that somehow. It costs many thousands to re-vinyl a 507 (the Liverpool 08 units were £20k each in 2008) so they are hardly going to do that for a static display. If it does get preserved, the first thing the society will do is peel off its livery to carry out corrosion repair so it hasn't been done for that.

507001 was running fine last week on the Southport line and can't be that knackered as it moved into the shed today.

Spot on, I couldn't have put it better myself.

L401CJF

Established Member

Plus as it was the last one overhauled (before 507003 which has just been done) so has plenty of miles left on it and should be one of the better ones..

Wezz

Was involved in an incident on depot, the plan was to run it in service but that can't be done now unfortunately.

prod_pep

Established Member
Was involved in an incident on depot, the plan was to run it in service but that can't be done now unfortunately.
So it has had an incident today and they've already decided it cannot be used? Can you elaborate as that doesn't sound plausble to me.

Wezz

We can't do it 100% accurate due to the disability regulations, that's as close we were allowed to get.

So it has had an incident today and they've already decided it cannot be used? Can you elaborate as that doesn't sound plausble to me.
Just pulling everyone's leg

However 001 is DEMIC at the moment as it needs some maintenance done to it, but it'll be back out in service very soon.

Last edited:

cjbirkett

I last rode on 001 on the Southport line on 8th November and it had spectacularly bad wheelflats in the coach I was in. I would imagine that is part of the maintenance it is undergoing

aem7ac

Found this photo on Facebook in the group "Glory Days of Electrics".
Poster says source wishes to remain anonymous.
Have not seen photo shared here before.
IMG_2899.JPG

paddyb6

Credit to the team at Merseyrail and at Birkenhead North, fantastic idea and a cracking livery, well done to all involved.

prod_pep

Established Member
It does look great overall and how excellent to see 507001 finally receive its long-rumoured heritage makeover. However, donning my critical hat for a second: the grey section extends much further above and below the windows than it should do. I'm interested to see how accurate the blue shade is on this in the flesh, considering it is all vinyl whereas its cousin 313201 was painted. Still, a fine effort and it will certainly put the rest of the fleet to shame in the aesthetics department.

Chris 1980

507001 looks absolutely stunning! An absolute credit to everyone involved! I cannot wait to see it out to photograph and video it!

I sincerely 100% hope that this unit is preserved!

kemal

Established Member
507001 looks absolutely brilliant. A great effort from all involved.

karlbbb

Another +1 from me how good that looks. I guess that's the old Merseyrail logo hidden behind the lamppost too? Great touch.

Northerngirl

That does look realy good, strange to see one all clean & shiny like that. I think the doors look better like that than the original