• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail platform extensions

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Noticed the attached at Aughton Park over Christmas - a short, narrow, metal platform extension that isn't accessible to passengers.

What is the purpose of this and why would they not simply extend the full width?

Attachments

• IMG_0528.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 139
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jamesst

Noticed the attached at Aughton Park over Christmas - a short, narrow, metal platform extension that isn't accessible to passengers.

What is the purpose of this and why would they not simply extend the full width?
Its so the rear cab door could be accessed on an 8 car. As it's for staff only there's no need to make it full length.

Meerkat

Established Member
Poor signage
“Passengers must not pass this point or cross the line”
Ignoring pedantry about ‘nor’ rather than ‘or’ it should surely define ‘line’ - i think most ordinary people would assume they refer to a painted line….of which there is one on the platform.
Wouldn’t ‘tracks’ be a more widely understood word?

The exile

Established Member
Poor signage
“Passengers must not pass this point or cross the line”
Ignoring pedantry about ‘nor’ rather than ‘or’ it should surely define ‘line’ - i think most ordinary people would assume they refer to a painted line….of which there is one on the platform.
Wouldn’t ‘tracks’ be a more widely understood word?
If the painted line runs along the platform (as in "stand behind the yellow line") then you can't cross the tracks without crossing the (Painted) line, so it doesn't actually matter (remarkably unpedantic for me!!). As the notice is really only covering the operators' back (since anyone who needs to be told not to cross busy tracks is almost certainly going to ignore the notice anyway - but then can't claim they weren't warned) , it probably doesn't matter for two reasons.

jamesst

Presumably this couldn't just be via the passenger doors due to the repeated faults with them?
Purely for ease of access, the last thing you want to be doing on a train if for example it's packed is fighting through to sort a problem in the back cab.

karlbbb

There's a couple of these strewn across the Northern lines now. I think Kirkdale may have one in the down direction?