• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail

Status
Not open for further replies.

subway156

Does anyone have experience on the Merseyrail system? Their units look pretty sturdy and heavy. I have been reading a book that was originally written in German. The translation is just fine. But I just wonder how those are. Are they built by Skoda?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nedchester

Established Member
their trains are tatty and boring because they are all the same.

makes arriva look posh, hahaha

Don't agree. The travelling environment of the 507/8s is most pleasant. The refurbishment has made a lot of improvements.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
I strongly agree with 'nedchester', I was very surprised and impressed with the Merseyrail refurbishments, the very first time I rode on one post-refurbishment- I didn't even know at the time that they had been refurbished.

ukrob

Established Member
can u point out the difference between the 2 classes, i cant tell difference tbh.

The 508s have an extra compressor and are therefore slightly heavier.

Before they were refurbished there were other ways of telling, most notably passenger door open/close control boxes which were pannelled over.

Skie

As someone who has used the things daily for the past 7 years, Serco-Nedrail have done a much better job than Arriva ever did.

I think I have been turfed off the train at Sandhills twice in the last few years, wheras with Arriva it happened at least once a month as they were notorious for delays and cancelling late running services. Kinda makes the Sandhills rebuild seem like a waste :p

And its nice seeing security now and then, late nights with Arriva were always a bit hairy.

andy13

yeh but look the way merseyrail have ruined some stations with big bright yellow things eg james street platform 2 looks a sight now totally ruined! they may run the trains on a tighter schedule but when it comes down to looks ATM all the way!

ukrob

Established Member
yeh but look the way merseyrail have ruined some stations with big bright yellow things eg james street platform 2 looks a sight now totally ruined! they may run the trains on a tighter schedule but when it comes down to looks ATM all the way!

You have strange priorities :)

Status
Not open for further replies.