• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Metro ban on mobility scooters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coxster

Established Member
Noticed this on the Nexus website's live travel news scroller whilst looking something up.

Related thread(s):-
http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=13042

-----​

Mobility Scooters now banned from use on Metro trains

All mobility scooter use has been banned on the Tyne and Wear Metro following a series of accidents in which users and other passengers could have been killed or seriously injured.

The ban, imposed by Metro operator Nexus, comes into force from the start of service on Wednesday, 27 August 2008.

It brings Metro into line with other rail and light rail operators, including Northern trains, Manchester Metrolink and Birmingham Metro in restricting scooter use for safety reasons. The Department for Transport is also considering the future use of mobility scooters on the railway network.

The new rule contained within Metro’s Conditions of Carriage extends a restriction on unaccompanied scooter use imposed in April this year to include all scooter use on Metro stations and platforms.
Manual and powered wheelchairs, and lighter scooters carried folded, are not included in the ban.

The ban follows a detailed risk assessment by health and safety staff, with the assistance of scooter user organisations. The findings have been passed on to Her Majesty’s Railway Inspectorate.

Nexus will review the rule in six months, to take account of work it is doing to reduce the risks associated with scooter use on Metro.

Bernard Garner, Director General of Nexus, said: “If a scooter fell onto the Metro line and was hit by a train then not only would its user probably be killed or seriously hurt but so would perhaps dozens of people on board the train, if it came off the line. That risk is not acceptable.

“There is also a danger passengers standing in the path of a scooter could be injured as it boards the confined space of a train.

“Our first responsibility is to protect the safety of all our passengers. Mobility scooters are vehicles designed to drive on urban roads, not confined spaces like station platforms and trains. All rail operators restrict mobility scooter use to some extent and many already ban their use.

“This won’t be popular with mobility scooter users, but it is the right thing to do. We have to consider safety first and sometimes that means making difficult decisions. Our decision is based on thorough understanding of the danger.”

Nexus estimates there are between 200 and 300 scooter users who regularly travelled on Metro prior to April.

It has begun work with passengers to identify and provide alternative travel to Metro, including Nexus services LinkUp and TaxiLink, and community travel schemes it funds.

There have been four accidents in the last 15 months in which scooters weighing up to 80kg have fallen onto the railway line. In each case investigations found the cause to be user error.

Two of these involved scooters crashing through Metrocar doors after failing to stop whilst boarding trains. On two other occasions scooters drove off platforms.

On each occasion there was a danger that an oncoming train striking the scooter could have been derailed, putting at risk passengers on board.

The assessment just completed identifies particular risk associated with the stopping distance of scooters compared to the width of Metro trains.
It notes that there are no national rules or laws regarding licensing or training for scooter users.

In April Nexus began a series of work programmes aimed at reducing the risk associated with scooter use on Metro.

These programmes include developing a training course users might ‘pass’ before being allowed on Metro, identifying whether some models of scooter posed less risk, and examining modifications to track, stations and trains.

Nexus will review its decision in six months to test whether any of these actions or others would reduce the risk to a tolerable level.

Recent accidents involving mobility scooters:

21st May 2007 a woman drove her scooter onto a train, failed to stop and proceeded through opposite doors, landing on the track at Brockley Whins. An approaching train was forced to brake to avoid a collision.

27th September 2007 a woman drove her scooter down a ramp leading to the platform but overshot the platform and proceeded onto the track at Byker;

24th April 2008 a gentleman drove his scooter onto a train, failed to stop and proceeded through the opposite doors landing on the track at Howdon; An approaching train was at the opposite platform, less than100 metres away.

28th June 2008 a gentleman failed to manoeuvre his scooter correctly on the platform resulting in him driving off the platform and landing on the track at Byker. The gentleman was travelling alone despite a ban on unaccompanied travel.

Examples of regulation by comparable rail and light rail operators:

West Midlands Metro: Scooters are not allowed within byelaws due to scooter design, difficulty in manoeuvring and unsuitability for use in a vehicle.

Manchester MetroLink: Mobility scooters are not permitted, though electric wheelchairs are.

Sheffield Supertram: Discourages mobility scooter use on trams.

Northern Trains (local, suburban and regional trains in north of England): Mobility scooters are not allowed, though lighter models may be carried folded.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ben

Surely its a door problem if they cant withstand a scooter banging into them at 8mph?

Guinness

Established Member
Surely its a door problem if they cant withstand a scooter banging into them at 8mph?

Some Scooters are quite heavy and travelling at something like 8mph can really actually do damage, I've done it as a kid in my Grandads - massive force caused a hole in the wall.

Metro Trains are very lightweight although safe and rigid the doors are designed to be easily opened and broken off incase of emergency.

P156KWJ

Established Member
NET don't allow bikes unless they fold, but as long as they don't obstruct, conductors usually let scooters on as the trams are low floor throughout. But 8mph would do some damage as the doors are all glass bar the frame and door control sensor

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Some Scooters are quite heavy and travelling at something like 8mph can really actually do damage, I've done it as a kid in my Grandads - massive force caused a hole in the wall.

Metro Trains are very lightweight although safe and rigid the doors are designed to be easily opened and broken off incase of emergency.
Plus, the riders of especially the heavier scooters tend not to be lightweight themselves. Huge momentum if travelling at ful whack, especially if they've come down a ramp.

Craig

Established Member

The Metro doors are powered from the top, the bottom just slides along and lock into place when closed. When passing other trains the door flap with the air turbulence, similar to those on a pacer.

Ben

The Metro doors are powered from the top, the bottom just slides along and lock into place when closed. When passing other trains the door flap with the air turbulence, similar to those on a pacer.

That explains it then.

robertclark125

Established Member
Up here on First Scotrail, the scooter user must be able to get out of the scooter unaided, or with the assistance of a companion. No staff are allowed to help. The scooter must be of a certain maximum size and weight.

AND, most importantly, the scooter user is not allowed to travel in the scooter for the duration of their journey.

spoony

Roker Park, Sunderland. Next to the Stadium of Lig

I was on thismorning and noticed the bottom of the doors wobbling around as the train moved, a bit disconcerting as I usually lean on them during the commute to/from work:neutral:

ROFL i saw the accident at Brockley Whins as i was gettin on through the same doors as her. i was in stitches i know it was shan but it was first thing i could do before i noticed an incoming train.

LilLoaf

Isn't it again the disabilty regulations law that not letting disabled people on the metro.

Well the metro is really cramped for space and its even worse during the morning as everyone is goin to work there isn't much room as theres no seats, everyone is crammed to the doors. I agree with the doors if they jam you have to kick them which isn't always the best idea to what happened to me....ooops

spoony

Roker Park, Sunderland. Next to the Stadium of Lig
ROFL i saw the accident at Brockley Whins as i was gettin on through the same doors as her. i was in stitches i know it was shan but it was first thing i could do before i noticed an incoming train.

Actually I remember a couple of months ago after work the metro had stopped at Haymarket. A disabled woman was getting on the train in a wheel chair but the doors started closing and she was only half on. I think her wheels or something had jammed in the gap between the train/platform. Anyway the doors closed on her then repeatedly opened/closed. I ended up having to drag her and the wheel chair onto the train:???:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Well the metro is really cramped for space and its even worse during the morning as everyone is goin to work there isn't much room as theres no seats, everyone is crammed to the doors. I agree with the doors if they jam you have to kick them which isn't always the best idea to what happened to me....ooops

Kicking metro doors, Vandal<D;)

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Isn't it again the disabilty regulations law that not letting disabled people on the metro.

Probably not because such person could use a manual or electric wheelchair instead of a scooter.

jopsuk

Veteran Member

There's a difference (though with a grey fuzzy area in the middle) between wheelchairs, for the truly mobility-disabled, and mobility scooters, for those that can walk around, albeit slowly. The former tend to be fairly lightweight (even electric ones, comparitively), compact and slow. The latter can be rather heavy, large, and can legally do 8mph- much faster than normal walking pace. They're the ones with handlbars.

No-one is suggesting banning wheelchairs- just the scooters.

robertclark125

Established Member
I think Metro have done right, to act before someone gets killed. These scooters aren't designed to go to some of the places people take them.

And, I'll tell you something else. The instructions for these may well say that if travelling on a train or tram, you should not sit on the scotter.

Status
Not open for further replies.