• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Metro Mayor Steve Rotheram pledges to bring "trackless trams" to Liverpool Airport, among other places

Tremzinho

I won't be popular for saying this but the biggest problem for Liverpool Airport isn’t lack of a rail link, its Manchester Airport. Its relatively easy to get to Manchester Airport from most of Liverpool Airport's catchment area and has much more choice.
Completely agree. Problem is that mayors Rotheram and Burnham are pushing for an NPR route that runs direct to Manchester Airport from Liverpool, before doubling back to central Manchester.

If this happens, it will actually be quicker and more convenient to get to Manchester Airport from central Liverpool than to Liverpool Airport. Which makes Steve Rotheram’s total lack of ambition even more frustrating.

That said, I always thought it was a great mistake not to create a joint Liverpool-Manchester airport at RAF Burtonwood. It would’ve had great road and rail links across the northwest.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

frodshamfella

Established Member
I would have thought that a loop around from Halewood would be the easiest way, as its already on the merseyrail line rather than a new service from Lime Street, and its only about a mile further away from the airport than anywhere on the Runcorn line. It might even be possible to put another stop in near the jlr factory
I think a station for Jaguar has been talked about not so long ago.

Completely agree. Problem is that mayors Rotheram and Burnham are pushing for an NPR route that runs direct to Manchester Airport from Liverpool, before doubling back to central Manchester.

If this happens, it will actually be quicker and more convenient to get to Manchester Airport from central Liverpool than to Liverpool Airport. Which makes Steve Rotheram’s total lack of ambition even more frustrating.

That said, I always thought it was a great mistake not to create a joint Liverpool-Manchester airport at RAF Burtonwood. It would’ve had great road and rail links across the northwest.
It would really unacceptable to provide another rail link to Manchester Airport ( which has rail and tram already) without improving Liverpool Airport surface transport links one way or another.

Djgr

Established Member
I won't be popular for saying this but the biggest problem for Liverpool Airport isn’t lack of a rail link, its Manchester Airport. Its relatively easy to get to Manchester Airport from most of Liverpool Airport's catchment area and has much more choice.
Well yes but Liverpool John Lennon Airport is still huge compared to several decades ago (when it had around six flights a day) because airlines and passengers have voted their feet, despite the points you make.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Well yes but Liverpool John Lennon Airport is still huge compared to several decades ago (when it had around six flights a day) because airlines and passengers have voted their feet.

More with their wallets - low costs because landing fees etc are cheaper, and passengers because low costs are cheaper. It's not a statement on the very poor passenger experience at Manchester, it's just about money.

frodshamfella

Established Member
Well yes but Liverpool John Lennon Airport is still huge compared to several decades ago (when it had around six flights a day) because airlines and passengers have voted their feet, despite the points you make.
I use it all the time, rarely fly from Manchester these days.

Djgr

Established Member
More with their wallets - low costs because landing fees etc are cheaper, and passengers because low costs are cheaper. It's not a statement on the very poor passenger experience at Manchester, it's just about money.
Probably a statement about both actually. But a narrative that suggests that Liverpool John Lennon Airport was once big but Manchester Airport is now taking its trade and therefore its future is not at all accurate.

Northerngirl

Wasn't there talk of a cargo hub at the airport a few years ago, that would probably warrant a new line

frodshamfella

Established Member
I dont think you can say landing fees are cheaper , there is no evidence for this.

Wasn't there talk of a cargo hub at the airport a few years ago, that would probably warrant a new line
It really warrants it anyway, it would take years to do, and by then the need would most urgent.

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
It really warrants it anyway, it would take years to do, and by then the need would most urgent.

First consider what sort of items are transported as freight by air. Then consider whether such traffic would represent a worthwhile traffic for transhipment to/from rail. And then see how many airports anywhere in the world have such a provision. The conclusion is inevitable: the idea is a complete non-starter.

frodshamfella

Established Member
First consider what sort of items are transported as freight by air. Then consider whether such traffic would represent a worthwhile traffic for transhipment to/from rail. And then see how many airports anywhere in the world have such a provision. The conclusion is inevitable: the idea is a complete non-starter.
It warrants it anyway for passengers.

frodshamfella

Established Member
That may be true. But trying to bolster support for the idea by including a completely useless and expensive additional provision doesn't help make the case for it.I've
How could it possibly be useless . If you want to talk about expensive additional provision, then look at HS3 latest proposals .

Last edited: