• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Metrocar updates and withdrawals - Tyne & Wear Metro

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I have a couple of quick questions regarding moving these units by road.

Are they split? If so, what happens with the central bogie, is something put in it’s place?

Thanks, and apologies if I’ve missed something elsewhere that answers these questions!
When they moved from Doncaster for overhaul I’m sure they remained joined on the road trailer, here’s a picture:

Refurbished Tyne & Wear Metro Car No. 4041 Arriving at North Shields From Wabtec, Doncaster - 7th October 2011 by Allan McKever, on Flickr

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ModernRailways

Established Member
I have a couple of quick questions regarding moving these units by road.

Are they split? If so, what happens with the central bogie, is something put in it’s place?

Thanks, and apologies if I’ve missed something elsewhere that answers these questions!
They remain joined as one unit.

If they were to be split then a wooden board would be affixed to the artic section (although if heading for scrap it’s likely they would just be left open ended)

DustyBin

Established Member
Thanks both; I thought they’d be left intact unless there were restrictions en route but i wasn’t sure.

Tramfan

When they took a unit (87) to the garden festival in 1990 it went down as separate parts, but all the moves to and from wabtec for refurbishment they remained as one unit

Trestrol

The new depot, whilst it has outstanding facilities, really isn't helping with the maintenance requirements of the current fleet, but again that was a Nexus issue likely to be branded as a Stadler issue.
Hmm, not sure about that. I'm sure it will be fine for the new units but maintaining the existing fleet is a pain by all accounts.

DustyBin

Established Member
When they took a unit (87) to the garden festival in 1990 it went down as separate parts, but all the moves to and from wabtec for refurbishment they remained as one unit

I was there; I can even remember it, although only just! (The garden festival, not the metrocar, although the latter would have been rather interesting to a 6 year old me!).

ModernRailways

Established Member
Hmm, not sure about that. I'm sure it will be fine for the new units but maintaining the existing fleet is a pain by all accounts.
Which is indeed what I said. It has new modern facilities which will be perfect for the incoming fleet, but for the outgoing fleet it is not great. The old depot was modified over time to suit the fleet requirements and a lot of that is now gone.

Paul_10

4064 seems to be back in service aswell as someone on the photography group recently posted a picture of it in service.

DanNCL

Established Member
4018 is not stored, I saw it in service today.
I also saw it in service today
Apologies that one’s on me. It was seen coupled to 01 and 60 a few days ago at East End after moving them there. I’ve put two and two together and got five… :oops:
I'll assume that 78 is also not stored for the same reason. List updated accordingly.

Paul_10

I've noticed on Steve King's photo on the photography group there seem to be more metrocars on the avoiding line, anyone able to know which units are on there and presumingly currently stored?

Hope metrocar 4040 and 4083 still in service. Not seen them for over 3 weeks now.

Paul_10

Good too see some of the longer out of use units are back in service in recent times but I suspect they are being replaced by others rather than the fleet situation improving?

Does seem they are able to run a full service again though which they should really but I do worry about the upcoming winter, we have seen anytime temperatures go into the minus's, problems occur.

Class91Joe

Hope metrocar 4040 and 4083 still in service. Not seen them for over 3 weeks now.
Yes I was thinking the same, not seen them in ages. Pretty sure they will be on an exam of some sort as I think the plans were to keep them going for the forseeable, (unless they develop any major faults of course).

DanNCL

Established Member
Updated the list to show 4025 returning to service. I'll make enquiries about 40 and 83, I'm hesitant to mark them as stored for now as they've been erroneously marked as stored when they weren't previously.

Paul_10

I've noticed on Steve King's photo on the photography group there seem to be more metrocars on the avoiding line, anyone able to know which units are on there and presumingly currently stored?

Just seen a YouTube video been uploaded today showing all the units on the avoiding line. The following units are from west end to east are 4063, 4054, 4088, 4061, 4080, 4077 and the rest that we know about all ready are there although it looks like the order may of been changed e.g it looks like 4076, 4010 and 4060 are all before 4002 on the east end but that could be just the editing.

ModernRailways

Established Member
Out of service, awaiting parts. Not 100% sure which is specifically needing parts as we basically treat them as 1 unit at this point

DanNCL

Established Member
Some coupler mounted infrastructure monitoring equipment, similar to that seen a while ago on NR stock, has been out and about on the network in recent days. It ran with 84+85 last week and is currently running with 48+71.

4077 was noted in service this morning,

It would appear that my usually reliable source needs their eyes testing as 77 is indeed still in the centre of the line of units!

Last edited:

SteveP29

What we need is for beamish to open a 1980s town and run old metrocars! :lol:;)
I had a visit home to see my parents a couple of weekends ago and went up to see the new 1950's town, and as @DanNCL says between our posts, they have now secured a Metrocar, so it's getting there, slowly, I reckon in about 40 years time, we'll be looking at a 70's/ 80's area there.
Unfortunately, I will likely not see that if it takes that long, being as I'm 50 now

Paul_10

Anyone able to update what the current situation is in terms of the fleet? Has long term OOU units been reinstated or are the units that is on the avoiding line still the same as before?

At least going by the twitter feed, there does not seemed to of been any fleet shortages and seemingly reliability has seemed to of improved also so hopefully things are settling down before the dreaded Autumn/winter period.